cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pilgrim Lite Spongy Floor

bameach
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a 2008 Pilgrim Lite 25LRK today. it was in mint condition but the floors felt spongy. The gentleman selling it said it was due to the foam flooring used in this model. I've searched the internet and cant find any info on this. Does anyone know if there's any truth to his claim or is this a red flag?
16 REPLIES 16

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:
My Jayco also has a sot floor in the high traffic areas.

I am considering cutting out the affected area from the top. Then I will add supports to the aluminum cross beams at the right height to have 5/8 ply level with the remaining floor. I expect I would need stiffeners under the ply where beam spacing is very wide.

I'll put a but block along the longitudinal seams and then fill and level the seams with a thickened epoxy mix.

after that I will put in laminate click together flooring which I have since I put that in while touring this winter to try to reduce the flex feeling.

Does this sound feasible?

I am too old to be working underneath the trailer to try to fix the floor.

Thanks

On a previous camper, there was a very soft spot at the door. I cut the vinyl, top plywood and foam out leaving the bottom layer. I cut back to half over the aluminum supports. I used 2x8โ€™s to fill in where the foam was and used plywood to bring back to finish floor. Painted plywood to match the vinyl, with aluminum trim to hold the vinyl down and cover the seams. With a throw rug, couldnโ€™t see the repair.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco also has a sot floor in the high traffic areas.

I am considering cutting out the affected area from the top. Then I will add supports to the aluminum cross beams at the right height to have 5/8 ply level with the remaining floor. I expect I would need stiffeners under the ply where beam spacing is very wide.

I'll put a but block along the longitudinal seams and then fill and level the seams with a thickened epoxy mix.

after that I will put in laminate click together flooring which I have since I put that in while touring this winter to try to reduce the flex feeling.

Does this sound feasible?

I am too old to be working underneath the trailer to try to fix the floor.

Thanks
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Cecilt wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
You can add additional braces for the floor for more support.

From top or bottom? If I open my access panel on my underbelly the floor is solid as a rock everywhere I can feel. This may not be the bottom layer of the luan but not sure how I would even access the luan/foam/luan if there is a layer of wood below this.
You have to go in from the bottom to add more floor joists. This would probably involve dropping the holding tanks to access. This is a major job and if your not sure it might be worth calling a RV Mobil tech.

Which is why I probably won't bother. Once I open up the slide for the fridge and stove I throw a 5' long throw rug on the linoleum which keeps us from feeling the softness in the floor.

If you do bother do not listen to the misinformation posted.

Laminated floors typically consist of a sandwich of 1-1/2" beaded Styrofoam with a layer of 3/16" plywood on top, and a layer of 1/8" luan plywood on the bottom. In the foam layer are aluminum tubes. Depending on the RV manufacturer those tubes may be as far as 4' apart. The assembly might be pinch rolled (less desirable) or vacuum pressed (much better). What happens is the Styrofoam layer gets compressed and therefore loses it bond weakening the lamination. It typically happens in high traffic areas such as directly inside the entry door, in front of the sink, in front of the toilet etc.

You can place all the additional supports or joists you want to place underneath but once the foam core gives way you're wasting time and effort. You have to open the assembly from below and remove the compromised beaded foam. Then replace it either with solid wood or new foam, preferably extruded polystyrene and patch the lower luan layer back in, then install the additional joist or cross member.

A few manufacturers finally got it right such as Rockwood / Flagstaff. A few years back they added more aluminum tubes at 24" or 16" on center and made sure additional supports were in high traffic areas. That along with vacuum bonding made their laminated floors almost immune to issues. Even then they finally switched to 5/8" OSB but they call it plywood. To this day some manufacturers such as Keystone still use the laminated assemblies with aluminum tubes on as much as 4' centers such as on their Passport line, pinch rolled and not vacuum pressed. If the owners are of great bulk it's even more problematic.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Cecilt wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

From top or bottom? If I open my access panel on my underbelly the floor is solid as a rock everywhere I can feel. This may not be the bottom layer of the luan but not sure how I would even access the luan/foam/luan if there is a layer of wood below this.
You have to go in from the bottom to add more floor joists. This would probably involve dropping the holding tanks to access. This is a major job and if your not sure it might be worth calling a RV Mobil tech.

Which is why I probably won't bother. Once I open up the slide for the fridge and stove I throw a 5' long throw rug on the linoleum which keeps us from feeling the softness in the floor.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Was it spongy (soft) or bouncy (lack of floor joists)? Probably bouncy and what you thought was soft was really lack of floor joists which unfortunately is how they make light weight trailers!

Both. If you see the floor joists under the camper and then go inside the area in question it in between 2 joists that are about 4' apart. I noticed it about 2-3 years ago and the area has expanded the entire length between the floor joists. It is in front of the fridge and stove up to the kitchen island(so about 4' long by 2 1/2' wide). If I feel under the cabinets in the kitchen island it is solid as a rock. Island has a sink. Opposite side of island have 2 small areas that are soft/spongy and each area are on the edges by the joists but does not expand the 4' x 2 1/2' like in front of the island. Just 2 small areas. One is by the floor duct as well.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Was it spongy (soft) or bouncy (lack of floor joists)? Probably bouncy and what you thought was soft was really lack of floor joists which unfortunately is how they make light weight trailers!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Cecilt wrote:
My 2014 Keystone Outback has a spongy floor in front of the regrigerator and stove. Believe it is also due to the foam and luan and how it is attached to the floor joists. This area is where my fridge and stove are in a slide so I can almost guarantee that that weight going in and out all the time broke the floor down. No signs of water leaks.

Seems to be a thing I guess. I have a '17 Laredo with the same spongy floor in front of the stove and refrigerators. They are in a slide also. No sign of leaks and I check it all the time.

Glad to hear yours is the same but not glad you have a problem as well. It really urks me though as I keep the camper pristine. When I eventually sell this camper it will be an issue to explain that it IS NOT water damage and it will probably take the right buyer to trust. I would love to have it fixed but can not do myself(skills) and I am sure it would be cost prohibitive. Have you given any thought to how to fix? This is our 7th year using the camper and I know Keystone won't give me the time or day and I have not even tried.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is soft over each of the holding tanks.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
My 2014 Keystone Outback has a spongy floor in front of the regrigerator and stove. Believe it is also due to the foam and luan and how it is attached to the floor joists. This area is where my fridge and stove are in a slide so I can almost guarantee that that weight going in and out all the time broke the floor down. No signs of water leaks.

Seems to be a thing I guess. I have a '17 Laredo with the same spongy floor in front of the stove and refrigerators. They are in a slide also. No sign of leaks and I check it all the time.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2008 OFF-ROAD POPUP got spongy just inside the door and I'm sure that was due to water seeping in from under the door.

I adjusted the weather seal on my trailer door and added an angle metal strip under the floor to stop the spongy thing and see if it ever got worse. Still running with no change...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS