cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Porsche as a tow vehicle? Depends on the trailer . . .

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Article
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
30 REPLIES 30

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
ISBRAM wrote:
Skibane wrote:
"the trailer was a 2019 Heartland Wilderness. The smallest of these is the M-2375BH at 28โ€™ 9โ€, weighing in at 5,644 pounds with a hitch weight of 690 pounds dry. These numbers are within spec for the Cayenne depending on how the tow vehicle itself was loaded and how the trailer was loaded."

So he assumed the wrecked trailer actually was the smallest Wilderness model, took the trailer manufacturer's word about its weight, and then assumed that it wasn't loaded beyond the Porsche's rated capacity...

I agree, the GVWR of that model is 6900lbs. if it and the Porsche were both loaded it was likely over its rating. Sometimes the tail wags the dog.

I agree, and based on what we see coming into parks, we will see more of this. Starting to see a lot of small to mid sized SUVs pulling fairly long TT, that is not a good combination. The issue is length not weight.

Well this is also on another forum I am on. Based on the roof layout and lack of a rooftop refer vent I came to the conclusion it was a 2500RL with the refer in a slide. the weights are below;
Weight:

Dry Weight 6,026 lbs.
Payload Capacity 1,342 lbs.
GVWR 7,400 lbs.
Hitch Weight 688 lbs.
Length 31' 11"

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
The consultant would determine the weights and if over would recommend denying insurance. Speaks for itself.

Absolutely false. Insurance covers accidents. Even if a law was broken. And the manufacturer tow ratings hold no legal standing.
I posted what was in the link and not about insurance coverage which was also in the link. Just curiours - Did you read the linked article?

Yes I did. The statement is false.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
The consultant would determine the weights and if over would recommend denying insurance. Speaks for itself.

Absolutely false. Insurance covers accidents. Even if a law was broken. And the manufacturer tow ratings hold no legal standing.
I posted what was in the link and not about insurance coverage which was also in the link. Just curiours - Did you read the linked article?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Certainly accidents happen with all types of vehicles all the time.
But we would not be discussing the upside Porsche on this forum if it were not towing a rather large RV.
My point is this is a RV forum, the discussion is geared towards RV's not vehicles in general.
I agree with you.
However there does not seem to be any statement from the owner or dash cam video of the situation that led to this jackknife.

Your right its all conjecture and guessing at this point.
Nevertheless that combo does not look safe/adequate/acceptable to me.
That Porsche should not be towing anything that large. I don't need to review the towing guide to see that trailer is way too much for a Cayenne. Maybe a boat or a load that was as heavy but didnot have the frontal area and sail factor woud be plausible.
But an RV trailer catches way too much air for a Cayenne
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
From one of the comments below the article, to which the author responded that heโ€™d talk with his friend:

Tony, with all due respect, as a licensed adjuster for over 30 years I can assure you that thereโ€™s no exclusion contained in the standard ISO personal auto policy that excludes coverage for overloading a vehicle. Thatโ€™s a popular misconception I often read in online RV forums, Facebook groups, etc. First-party claims are not excluded by the policy language, and in the event that the driver causes damage to someone else, in fact thatโ€™s what the third-party liability coverage is intended to do: defend and indemnify an insured for their negligent acts or omissions, which would include negligently overloading a vehicle.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:

I have actually asked my insurance agent point blank (she represents many companies) and she said she has NEVER heard of insurance denying coverage/paying for a wreck due to trailer being overweight or too large/not in spec for a tow vehicle. I tend to agree with you.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
But we would not be discussing the upside Porsche on this forum if it were not towing a rather large RV.
My point is this is a RV forum, the discussion is geared towards RV's not vehicles in general.
I agree with you.
However there does not seem to be any statement from the owner or dash cam video of the situation that led to this jackknife.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Lantley wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Of course we don't know the conditions or hazards that exited when this happened. Could have been inevitable with the Porsche or a diesel dually.
On a clear sunny day most anything may do.
It's when conditions are less than ideal that the better tow vehicles seperate themselves from the pretenders
I have seen vehicles spin out when not towing.

Correct Trax,Splendide

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Of course we don't know the conditions or hazards that exited when this happened. Could have been inevitable with the Porsche or a diesel dually.
It's when conditions are less than ideal that the better tow vehicles seperate themselves from the pretenders
I have seen vehicles spin out when not towing.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come to think of it, I've seen a partridge in a pear tree, but never a Porsche towing a trailer.
Me thinks I must get out more.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:

Whereโ€™s the fun in that though?
It โ€œhadโ€ to be an inexperienced driver with poorly setup weight distribution way over published towing ratings with too short of vehicle that was a hazard just pulling out of the driveway doing 90mph tossing Heineken cans out the window!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
propchef wrote:
That Cayenne tows better than any half-ton. No one mentioned that this area is known for high winds.

Speculation, it's what's for dinner.

No, no it does not. The short wheelbase and lower curb weight means it can not be a better tow vehicle than my crew cab full bed with a 153" wheelbase, that's simply physics.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH