cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable air compressor?

Bryanpark2
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to get an air compressor for my next trip. Does anyone have a suggestion for one than will handle 65psi. Is one that operates off the 12v to inferior vs the plug in 120v?
2013 Jayco Jayflight 26RLS
2011 Trundra 4.6 V-8
24 REPLIES 24

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
Viair 450P-RV,Had it for at least 5 years,Trouble free

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
I've had one of these Puma compressors on my Jeep for 10 years. They work pretty darn good for a 12 volt unit.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
We use a 120 volt pancake compressor , it sits under the bed and is plugged into my inverter .I never remove it , I have a fifty foot hose that will reach anywhere I want to go . We carry an air wrench , two nail guns and a air/ over hydrolic jack . The nail guns I use when someone is following to close .IMHO tankless compressors are better left in the store !

Was that you that pulled in next to me at '4 AM in the morning' and had the need to use an impact wrench to raise the levelers? Sent me 2 feet straight up in the air right off my bed looking for my nitro glycerin to kick start the ole heart! :B ....true story except for the need for nitro.:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
If you live near a Harbor Freight they have one for about $48 with a coupon. It comes with 11ft battery leads and a 25ft hose. I have mine mounted in my pass through and I can reach my back tires on my 35ft trailer. I power it through the battery on the trailer or truck. Works very well and tops off tires pretty quickly.

Harbor Freight Compressor

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If you atre forced to use a 12 volt compressor then you have little choice. I agree that almost any 120 volt unit is a better choice.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

patricks99
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the Viair, I use the 400P http://www.viaircorp.com/400P.html works great airing up my jeep tires 35s and sure they wiuld do fine with rv/truck tires.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
same here.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Another happy ViAir owner here.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a 120 volt pancake compressor , it sits under the bed and is plugged into my inverter .I never remove it , I have a fifty foot hose that will reach anywhere I want to go . We carry an air wrench , two nail guns and a air/ over hydrolic jack . The nail guns I use when someone is following to close .IMHO tankless compressors are better left in the store !

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Wow, I get generator etiquette and the need to use quiet ones at appropriate times, but now we have to worry about the decibel level of our compressors for the 5 minutes or so we need them? Lol...
You don't have to.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I get generator etiquette and the need to use quiet ones at appropriate times, but now we have to worry about the decibel level of our compressors for the 5 minutes or so we need them? Lol...
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Have used a Craftsman version of this one for many years. Easily brings my tires up to 80#.

+1 on this. It has lived (covered) in the bed of my truck for a couple years now and has never let me down. Good air flow even at higher PSI really helps speed up tire inflation.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Bryanpark2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the timely replies. There are some great suggestions here!
2013 Jayco Jayflight 26RLS
2011 Trundra 4.6 V-8

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Wakes the dead:

Won't wake the sleeping:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman