cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible frozen/cracked fresh water tank - thoughts

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
So we trucked the Coachman Catalina up to Illinois to visit the wife's family for Thanksgiving. Doing a little driveway camping.

So we filled fresh water tank, are plugged in so hot water heater is on, furnace running and set to 70. Maintaining temp great!

Today the temp didnt get above freezing, we were away all day and got baxk and temp outside is down to freaking 14 f.

Turned on pump and kitchen faucet...nada. pump wasn't pulling water. Turned heat up, opened cabinets, hour later, nada.

This morning fw tank was reading full. When water wasnt runnimg checked it it registered 2 lights. Checked again after heat was up for a bit...read empty.

Went out with flashlight and checked the fresh water lowpoint drain...icicles. hanging off. And my underbelly appears to have a slight bulge around the lowpoint as well.

So...thoughts?

I have turned off the pump, have all cabinets open, poired a gallon of rv antifreeze down drains, opened faucets.

Pf course I cant see anything because of enclosed underbelly.

It gets above freezing tomorrow, but only to around 35 and not till noon. Saturday is warmer and we head out that day back to Georgia. Damn Illinois weather.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v
7 REPLIES 7

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
So, with that said, the OP is asking for help, not an English lesson.

Agree that you cannot do anything with everything frozen. Suggest that if you haven't already headed home, when you do keep a very close eye on all the fittings inside cabinets, etc. Maybe invest in some plumbers tape or something to seal off any leaks until you can thoroughly check it out. You don't need a flood inside. You may be fine, you may have a puddle. Also, suggest you don't try the water pump until you get home. The temps here in West TN have been in the mid 60's and to continue a few more days....you're probably similar. Good luck with this....another one of those lessons learned the hard way. Sorry.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Have you ever noticed that adding the word "so" to the beginning of a sentence adds nothing to that sentence?

Hahaha. That has always annoyed me -- almost as much as "with that said."

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing can be done until it thaws and you can inspect.

Have you ever noticed that adding the word "so" to the beginning of a sentence adds nothing to that sentence?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
My thoughts are you probably have more damage here and there.
Don't worry about the Pex. It can freeze solid and won't crack, but I am guessing that more of your valves and fittings might be cracked.

Lesson Learned !!!!

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of rigs, even '4 season' ones, the fresh water tank is exposed and not "heated"
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your fingers crossed. We are doing something similar but years ago we learned that when visiting relatives for Thanksgiving in "cold country" it's best to drain tanks, blow out the lines/winterize the rig and just carry jugs of water. Our rig isn't designed for winter and keeping interior temp warm won't prevent freeze issues with our exterior tanks.
Kevin

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Well lets hope that when you get home everything has thawed out and is working again. I doubt the tank cracked, if anything did crack hopefully it's something simple like the low point drain valve.

Fingers crossed for you.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup