cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power outage/tripped breaker question

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
I have my camper in a campground where I stay plugged into shore power. There is an app for the energy company where I can monitor daily usage. Nothing is plugged in, only thing that stays on is the microwave and fridge.

It looks like yesterday afternoon the power has gone out and not come back, which leads me to believe the circuit breaker tripped (hopefully didn't die altogether). Either way, if the breaker is tripped, do I need to get down there ASAP to turn it off/on or would it be fine until next weekend? Thankfully there's not much in the fridge. But curious on thoughts here.
16 REPLIES 16

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Breaker tripped between output of meter and the output from your 120 volt distribution panel in the rig.

I called back just for clarification - it looks like it's an app problem. Saturday and Sunday pulled 9kwh, which is right on track for any other day when I'm not there. So looks like I'm in the clear ๐Ÿ™‚

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Breaker tripped between output of meter and the output from your 120 volt distribution panel in the rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
That would be correct! You do not know whether the power been restored or there is a tripped breaker.
Is there anyone you can call? How about the power company?

I called the power company and they said the meter is running. So it's either a glitch in the app or a tripped breaker.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Call the campground and have them check the breaker...the pedestal is generally their responsibility.

Get it quickly and you likely won't lose the food in the fridge.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Like said above I would contact Campground and have them go check The power at the pedestal. If youโ€™re going to worry about it all week till you get back there, then you might have to go To get your peace of mind.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I'm betting the frig kicks over to Propane and you'll be fine, about all do.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is in the fridge, and freezer ! ???? If it's just a jar of pickles and some ketchup you will be fine. If it is any meat then that would be darned rotten and stinky by next weekend.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the fridge will revert to propane and you have two batteries I think you are fine. Most will do this automatically.
If it is just going to stop with the power off you will need to plan on just cleaning out the fridge completely next weekend.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Question in mind, Is the refer on automatic, do I have enough propane if it is on auto, how good is my battery? (refer needs 12 volts DC in most)

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
That would be correct! You do not know whether the power been restored or there is a tripped breaker.

I can call the power company tomorrow when they open. Hoping that's the issue. If it is a tripped breaker situation, is that fine until this weekend or should I get there ASAP to reset?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The app reads through the electronic meter. If service breaker or breaker in the rig is tripped you would not know, If the meter has power, it would be shown on app.
Could be the power has not been restored!

I used to turn the breakers off when I would leave but it would stay plugged into shore power. When the breakers in the camper were off, it would show 0 consumption on the app, same as it is showing now.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The app reads through the electronic meter. If service breaker or breaker in the rig is tripped you would not know, If the meter has power, it would be shown on app.
Could be the power has not been restored!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
You have a way to monitor if power is off in the RV?
Otherwise can you call the campground and have them check for you?
Or maybe the power is off for repairs...

If it is a 2-way fridge it may continue to operate on battery and propane for a few days.

There is an app through the power company that allows me to see hourly power usage... from 1 PM yesterday, there has been no power showing up in the usage report, and daily consumption yesterday was just over half of a typical day where I'm not there.

Honestly I'm not sure if it's a 2-way fridge or not; any other time the breaker trips I get an audilble "AC lo" alarm on it.