cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Tongue Jack only goes up

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
The power tongue jack (Lippert Components model 181794) on our 2011 Keystone TT will go up (extends) but won't go down. Could a bad switch cause this? If so, should we order a new switch (about $50) and how do we get into the unit to replace the switch? Thanks for any help!
2011 Keystone Springdale
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi
17 REPLIES 17

BCX213
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Lippert jack that came with my trailer when I purchased it new.... had to replace it under warranty. They replaced it with a heavy duty Atwood 3500...works much better and faster.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
3940wez12 wrote:
Bought a new switch ($6.75 at CW) and put new connectors on the wires that the switch plugs into and it works! I think the old switch was OK, but I broke it prying it out. Thanks to all who responded. My husband was impressed that I figured it out...I didn't tell him about all the help you guys gave me!
Good deal, we won't tell if you don't...:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

3940wez12
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new switch ($6.75 at CW) and put new connectors on the wires that the switch plugs into and it works! I think the old switch was OK, but I broke it prying it out. Thanks to all who responded. My husband was impressed that I figured it out...I didn't tell him about all the help you guys gave me!
2011 Keystone Springdale
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi

guitarman
Explorer
Explorer
Have had the same problem in both the extend and retract positions at various times. Most of the time, spraying contact cleaner in the switch has fixed it. In the winter, I think water freezes in the switch. Just have to keep playing with it until it works. Since purchasing a cover, the problems for us have decreased.
Mike and Christine Villano
2008 Toyota Tundra
2013 Palomino SolAire Eclipse 297RLDS
Sheltie, Charlotte
Daschund, Dapple

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Email lippert and schmooze them to see if they will ship you a switch n/c. I did that with Barker when my old trailers switch stopped working.it was 5 yrs old...and they shipped me a free one.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pull the switch out and leave the wires connected. Check for 12VDC at connections. But if the motor goes one way, it should work in the other because the switch just reverses the polarity and the wiring up to the motor should be fine. Could be a bad connector. Try jumpering across the "down" wires and see if the motor works. If it's the switch, I'd try and find a cheaper switch one than $50, that's a rip. The Lippert jack that came on our new TT failed within days of ownership and the dealer replaced it with an Ultra-Fab. Good ever since.

jdfello
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the same when I was on a trip. The fella in the next site saw me having trouble. He said pull the switch then switch the wires walla it got me out of trouble until I could get a new switch.
jdfello

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem on my Barker jack. It turned out to be a corroded switch.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
From your description it sounds like Either a bad switch or a loose connection on the downside of the switch. If it works going up, then the jack itself is good. Buying a new jack will fix it, but at a huge cost compared to a $20 switch or a loose wire.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to call Lippert customer support - I had an axel part I needed a few years ago and they sent me one for free since they were failing and the new repalcement was better.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I honestly don't remember what brand jack I have but it had the same issue.

I found that my jack uses two micro-switches as limit switches. One of them failed. The jack manufacturer wanted over $30. I bought a new switch at the local electronics supply house for $2.50.

I suggest buying two while you are there. I installed the two new switches and tossed the good old switch in the junk drawer for a spare.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to pry the switch out by using a flat blade screw driver under the lip of either the top or bottom flange.

That is a fairly simple switch. Here is a replacement 25 amp switch. You would have to change the wire connections to use it as this has six blades versus the original that has four blades and jumpers. For $45 difference, I would change the connections.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Also eliminate ground problems. Most of these jacks ground through the mounting bolts. Make sure you have a good ground with no corrosion.

With no load, (going up) the jack may get by on a so-so ground. When under load the so-so ground isn't enough.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine ( I don't know the model # ) has a plastic cover on the head with 4 Philips screws. Under there is a plate retained by more Philips screws. IRRC you will have to remove the ground wire to lift the plate then you can access the switch area. Don't forget to remove the fuse. All the wires will be live.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision