cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pressure tank now bad tasting water rubber taste

2019john
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a pressure tank in my travel trailer . now the water has a bad taste like rubber, at first through it was just new but after 5 days camping still has the taste.
5 REPLIES 5

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
Did you flush and sanitize it like the rest of the system? There could have been some residue in the bladder that takes a few fill and drain cycles to clean out.

This could be difficult to fix......since draining the whole system may NOT drain the small amount of water that is captured in the pressure tank. Especially if the tank is mounted with the inlet at the TOP.

The tank may have to be disconnected to be flushed good.
I suggest you call the company that makes the pressure tank.

I installed my tank on its side. The cold water line running to the water heater has a tee that goes to the toilet. I installed another tee in order to add the captive air tank in the line going to the toilet. I also added a valve right before the new tee.

When dewinterizing and sanitizing when hooked up to city water or running the pump I can let the tank fill, then shut off the valve, then flush the toilet until the tank empties. Then open the valve to refill the tank and repeat as many times as needed. The tank and valve are under the bunk right outside the bathroom door and the toilet is right next to the door. No problem flushing the tank without removing it.

Using this method, it would not matter what position the tank is installed, since the air in the tank will squeeze the bladder to empty it fully as long as the toilet flush valve is held open until the water stops flowing.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
Did you flush and sanitize it like the rest of the system? There could have been some residue in the bladder that takes a few fill and drain cycles to clean out.
This would be my opinion as well. Don't remember any rubber taste from my R.O. home accumulater tank, did flush with bleach when installed.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:

This could be difficult to fix......since draining the whole system may NOT drain the small amount of water that is captured in the pressure tank. Especially if the tank is mounted with the inlet at the TOP.

The tank may have to be disconnected to be flushed good.
I suggest you call the company that makes the pressure tank.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if the one you have was intended for drinking water. Pressure tanks also get installed on well water lawn sprinkler systems. Those don't need to be drinking water compatible. Maybe different bladder material is used... just a thought.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/