cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressure Tested Camper Leaks Found

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Set up a leaf blower to pressurize the camper. Went around the whole thing with soapy water.

Four leaks along the corner moulding. Removed the insert trim and screws along the bottom side and could smell a wet, rotting wood smell along with wetness in the trim channel. I think there's delamination beginning too since I can push in on the worst leaking area. I'm sure this didn't just start leaking a few months ago or probably even a year ago. Camper is only 3 1/2 yrs old.

When I push in on it

Just need to figure out how to remove the moulding. It will NOT break free from the top or bottom. I'm afraid I'll damage something, so I'm not trying too hard. I have zero experience at doing this. Any suggestions?
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's
40 REPLIES 40

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I Think the OP used a leaf blower and I think the CFM will be quite a bit higher than a Vacuum.

And as you stated, maybe it's an internal issue?

ticki2 wrote:
Jim , perhaps I am overly optimistic of the test and thought it would show up any leaks . I am half wondering now if it is not a condensation issue under certain conditions . My camper is riveted aluminum skin , aluminum ribs and aluminum interior skin with factory spayed on foam insulation . But if that were the case , being the camper is now 49 years old , the wood wings should have rotted out long ago .
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Jim , perhaps I am overly optimistic of the test and thought it would show up any leaks . I am half wondering now if it is not a condensation issue under certain conditions . My camper is riveted aluminum skin , aluminum ribs and aluminum interior skin with factory spayed on foam insulation . But if that were the case , being the camper is now 49 years old , the wood wings should have rotted out long ago .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
ticki2, it sounds like you expect a pressure test to be completely reliable in finding leaks. I doubt that is the case and visual inspection is still important. A pressure test is not going to be helpful in finding leaks in exterior compartments or other areas that cannot be pressurized. I can also guess there are other leaks that would not show up. Internal pressure might help remaining caulk to maintain a seal but like a one way value, the defective area may leak from the exterior.

I remember having a tire leak that was slow but annoying. I covered the tire with soapy water numerous times but could not find the leak until it eventually got worse. Unfortunately with RVs it does not take a major leak to cause major damage. A very slow leak and only a small amount of water can create serious damage over time.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
OK , so I tried this test today . I was getting a small water leak showing up at the bottom of the passenger wall at the wing . It did not always occur , and happened on or off truck .

Used a 5hp shop vac and kids bubble solution . Tapped off every opening I could find . I spayed generously every seam , protrusion and all the windows .

The only bubbles that showed up was the top corner of a front crank out window from under the rain flap and the same place on the rear bath crank out window .

Neither of these would account for where the water is showing up , especially when the camper is stationary .

The question is for those who have been successful at this . Is the shop vac not enough ? Was the bubble solution not good enough ? If the bubbles showed up in 2 places it would seem that both the above were sufficient to show up any other leaks . Puzzled :?
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
maxum1989 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Been doing it for a few years no with no issues. I'll have to get out the Dwyer and see what it's pushing...sometime.

Don't understand 'getting the desired pressure' What is your desired pressure? Is it the same as my desired pressure or is your pressure different and what determines the correct pressure? I don't believe you know and I don't either nor do I want to.

Just enough pressure to escape from the compromised seal areas. Nothing more.

...very little air movement required.

I think you are reading way more into the procedure than is necessary.

Not trying to 'inflate' a camper like an inner tube, just get air movement (positive pressure to ambient pressure transition.

Don't make it complex. It isn't.

I don't do the 'what if stuff' I do the what is wrong stuff much better.

If you took my responses as being argumentative that was not my intent. You can use whatever pressure you like.
My desired pressure when I do this test at home is to obtain the same pressure that the Sealtech machine uses when getting this done at a Dealership. After all, this is the test we are trying to emulate isn't it? So why not use the pressure they use? It was tough to find it when I tried looking for it but eventually I found it. I do not remember where that is now though.

Not trying to be argumentative at all.

In my view, a little common sense prevails. Don't think that anyone using the home brew Blower Door Test would intentionally attempt to blow the windows out of their unit, that seems far fetched to me and I give anyone who does the test more credit than that.

Conversely, most folks don't have a manometer available so a bit of common sense is all that is required (in my opinion) at least.

Finally, knowing CW like I do and reading about the horror stories concerning CW's less than stellar service, I'd be surprised if the average CW technician even know how to use a manometer, let alone read the scale correctly.

I think you are making a simple procedure overly complex. All it take is some common sense to be successful.

If I wanted to argue with you, I'd do it via PM, not on a forum where everyone can observe and pass judgment.

It's not about passing judgment at all. What I posted about was a simple way to ascertain where your RV (and that includes ALL RV's not just TC's) have potential water intrusion points at. Nothing more.

I read literally hundreds of posts on various forums (I'm on more than one forum) about leaks and sealing seams and voids but most all those folks don't really know if their efforts are paying off because they really don't know (without a Blower Door Test) if and where it's actually leaking or not. Quite literally, you could be applying Dicor or Eternabond sealant to an area that isn't leaking and a few inches away, the water is coming in.

Only one way to find that out that I know of... Well 2 ways, Pay CW to do a Seal Tite Blower Door Test, or do it yourself. I'm for the latter because one, I'm cheap and two, if I do it myself, I know it's done right, to my satisfaction.

No argument at all. I'm a KISS person.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you caught it in time...good deal. I'm of the school of thought that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and any means available to insure that my TC isn't a rotting leaker, I'm happy with.

Far as your stove/ range hood vent goes, it seems that RV builders tend to use the cheapest stuff available, you aren't the only one with a cracked inoperative vent, Our friends are touring Alaska right now and their vent broke up there...

I suspect I'll be effectuating some type of repair in the fall when they visit on their way back home.

I know I'm going to leak test their unit while it's here.

If RV owners were pro-active about seal testing and maintenance, we would not see the horrible rot / resto jobs on this forum because there would be no issues.

I always keep a couple tubes of Dicor and Eternabond on hand and a roll of Butyl tape too. You never know. Sometimes, you can hit a sale too.
2015 Backpack SS1500

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

Been my personal experience that your average Home Depot leaf blower won't produce enough pressure to compromise any impending leak points that aren't already compromised.

You 'think' your camper is a sealed space... It isn't by a long shot.

This was also my experience. There are plenty of spaces that air was escaping. The area where the gas pipe passes thru the camper, the sewer outlet, the bottom of the door and the stove exhaust vent. I wasn't initially wasn't getting enough pressure to reveal anything. The stove vent is cracked and needs to be replaced anyway, so I removed it and duct taped the opening. That gave me just enough pressure. I'd say maybe 1-2 psi?

As far as the leaking area...good news. I was able to remove the moulding with some heat applied (Didn't take much to soften up the sealant). Upon inspection, I can see where the filon/wood siding was not cut straight, which left nary an edge to seal to. It appears to be dry and not damaged much, if at all. I believe I caught it early. Had I not done this test, I'm sure this would have spread and become a rotted/delaminated mess down the road a couple years.

The reason I was able to push in on that spot is because it wasn't properly glued or affixed (whatever they do). There's a small gap directly behind it which allowed it to flex and I guess eventually break the seal. This was not clearly obvious during my previous inspections as I don't go around pressing on every inch of the camper. In this case, the CA drought was a good thing. I'll post some pics as I can.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fantastic fans set on "in" will pressure my units enough to keep dust out of them on roads less travelled.

maxum1989
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Been doing it for a few years no with no issues. I'll have to get out the Dwyer and see what it's pushing...sometime.

Don't understand 'getting the desired pressure' What is your desired pressure? Is it the same as my desired pressure or is your pressure different and what determines the correct pressure? I don't believe you know and I don't either nor do I want to.

Not trying to 'inflate' a camper like an inner tube, just get air movement (positive pressure to ambient pressure transition.

If you took my responses as being argumentative that was not my intent. You can use whatever pressure you like.
My desired pressure when I do this test at home is to obtain the same pressure that the Sealtech machine uses when getting this done at a Dealership. After all, this is the test we are trying to emulate isn't it? So why not use the pressure they use? It was tough to find it when I tried looking for it but eventually I found it. I do not remember where that is now though.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Backpack SS1500

maxum1989
Explorer
Explorer
Its less about causing damage with too much pressure and more about getting enough pressure to make the bubble solution work.
The goal is less than an inch on the water column which is why a manometer should be used. Considering one PSI is over 27 inches of water column you can see that not much pressure is required but getting the desired pressure is key for the test to work properly.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like he sealed the window with tape and a piece of cardboard. The weight of the blower is sitting on a piece of metal. That in itself is going to limit the pressure to a couple of psi at most. And if that causes the leak, the seal needed to be reworked anyhow.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not worry about building up too much pressure. My camper had plenty of areas that are not sealed: The vent from the kitchen exhaust is not sealed. Roof vents have raised lips and covers but are not sealed. The exterior shower plumbing sits in a recessed cavity but the door does not have a seal. The Heki skylight was the worst. This keeps out water with a 3 inch lip but there is no seal. In fact I often get small pieces of leaves and other debris that falls into the camper from this skylight.

BTW, instead of trying to deal with a leaf blower I used the output connection from a Shop Vac. I got a good flow of air but certainly not as much as from a leaf blower.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
maxum1989 wrote:
gitpicker2009 wrote:
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but can't you actually be causing the leak with that type of test? I mean, if you have a closed system, like a truck camper and start pushing air into it, aren't you sort of just waiting for the weakest point to pop? Again, I'm just asking.

A reasonable question. With too much pressure damage can occur which is why a manometer should be used to monitor the pressure. Without knowing the pressure being applied to the interior of the RV you are just guessing and the desired results of finding leaks will be minimized.

Been my personal experience that your average Home Depot leaf blower won't produce enough pressure to compromise any impending leak points that aren't already compromised.

I happen to own a Dwyer Manometer but I've never even considered using it in as much as there are enough 'leak' points in a TC or any RV for that matter that building excessive pressure would be very hard to do.

A reasonable question but not something to worry about. If the pressurized space was devoid of leaks (which it isn't because things like range vents, outside shower ports entry door seals, furnace access points, will all relieve pass the pressure to the atmosphere).

You 'think' your camper is a sealed space... It isn't by a long shot.

My other comment is, if you like to wear a tinfoil hat and are a worry wart, take it to a CW service facility and have them do it. That way you get to pay for the service and maybe that makes you feel better somehow. It don't me.
2015 Backpack SS1500