cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Price of the Lance 650

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I owned 4 truck campers in my life and only moved into a 5th wheel at early retirement. Now I'm on my 3rd 5th wheel and can see the real need for another truck camper. After looking online at the Lance 650 I believe this is what I need. However the MSRP is profane!!
How can a truck camper with no suspension or frame cost as much as a trailer?? Generally speaking you can get deal on a 5th wheel or travel trailer for about 70% of MSRP with many dealers. Has anyone landed a good cash deal on a Lance 650?? I think $28K on a small truck camper with no slides is out of the question.
18 REPLIES 18

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
I get why we all have truck campers,I do not get why there so expensive(new) compared to a trailer or fifth wheel.Less everything..

No, same everything, just crammed in a smaller space.

More difficult to build, more specialized labor == more expensive

There's also a much smaller market for them.

Fewer units, less economy of scale == more expensive

Here is some more information to add:

check out this video
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocreek wrote:
I get why we all have truck campers,I do not get why there so expensive(new) compared to a trailer or fifth wheel.Less everything..

No, same everything, just crammed in a smaller space.

More difficult to build, more specialized labor == more expensive

There's also a much smaller market for them.

Fewer units, less economy of scale == more expensive

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've read with much interest all the posts on this topic I started. Keep in mind I have owned 4 truck campers. Two were crank down soft side Skampers and two were hard side models with A/C. When we traveled with truck campers we never called ahead for reservations because all the private owned RV parks would let us park somewhere. Once in Cody Wyoming they were having a big Saturday night rodeo and the local campground was full. When the attendant found out that we were in a truck camper he told me to pull alongside the camp office and plug in with the soft drink dispenser at the side of the building. We were never turned away.

Another thing that is upsetting about truck campers is depreciation!! Dealers simply do not want them on their inventory. Most require a very heavy duty pickup and really should be on a dually. Not many people have a truck that can handle this weight. The first two truck campers I had were the light weight crank down roof models that weighed less than 1200 lbs and I sold those very quickly to guys with half ton pickups. Big market for these light models. The two hard side models I ended up trading in and practically gave them to the dealer!!

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
I agree and I see no advantage of a new truck camper over a used Class B/C built on a truck chassis. For $28000 I can find 2012 Winnebagos on a 350 Ford Chassis with a V10 engine.

It must be people that buy without thinking about what is needed vs what their friends think is cool. I still cannot understand why anyone would buy a Harley given all the better options out there....
We bought our TC "CAUSE" we think she's "KOOL", not to mention no extra, motors,tires,insurance (it's cargo),plates or tags, DMV fees, sales tax,no registration, etc.... When was the last time you rode a Harley ? Option's can't touch the Milwaukee 8, or the new suspension these Harley's have today, my FLTRU HD @ 900 plus lbs. handles like sport bikes I had 40 yrs. ago, take a test ride. Another reason is that I can only ride a bike w/ fwd. controls for the last 10 yrs. Oh ! BTW, I think She's really Kool also. :B K.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You guys don't understand the difference between working on big, open unit like TT and working in coffined spaces where you are on your knees, or sticking arm in the hole most of the time.
Try to call security company and ask them how much cost wired alarm system on open construction and how much more it would be on painted house.
And again, all self-contained TC I have seen do have more lights than TT twice their size.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
NMDriver wrote:
I agree and I see no advantage of a new truck camper over a used Class B/C built on a truck chassis. For $28000 I can find 2012 Winnebagos on a 350 Ford Chassis with a V10 engine.

It must be people that buy without thinking about what is needed vs what their friends think is cool. I still cannot understand why anyone would buy a Harley given all the better options out there....

You are correct on both accounts. $/sf, a New TC costs more than a carefully selected used motorhome and more than a comparable TT.
And yes it is about 100x cooler than a cousin eddy RV! Lol

But seriously, yeah they cost a bit more than some comparable RVs
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
It's a small market. No economy of scale. A number of folks "always wanted one".
People are paying the asking price.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an example off of rv trader of what the op asked..

Jayco 306rkds-35ft 9 inches.....$34,495

Lance 850.......................$36,059

Lance 975.......................$48,231

Lance 1172......................$56,876

So why are the truck campers so much more money "New" than much larger travel trailers or fifth wheels?..Way less materials without any frame/axle/tires or furniture...

Seems the cost should be less for the much smaller truck camper,not more..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
NMDriver wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
And those of us that have TCs instead of a fifth wheel or travel trailer do so because we go places where we would not want to tow anything behind us. I have had a TC for 8 years. It doesn't have slide outs and it fits our lifestyle and needs perfectly. 4x4 diesel and we can go almost anywhere at any time of year in snow heat rain and go camping. Nothing like waking up with 20" of snow covering the rig, strapping on the snowshoes and heading out into the forest. Strap on some chains and put it in 4x4 and head on down the mountain when the time comes. No way I want to be going down the mountain in snow with a trailer even if the trailer has chains on it's wheels.

But you can do the same with the Winnebago I mentioned. Plus: you have more room inside, and do not have to get out into the snow/rain to access the cab or kitchen or bathroom and/or drive it off.

To each his own but as the OP asked where is the cost justification.

I can see a TC as a occasional add on to a everyday driver pickup to go up for a few nights recreation, if the cost was not outrageous. The fact is the cost is outrageous and the benefit is not significant over other options.

Ask Bryan aka BKA he has been full timing in his TC for years

as for having to walk 20 steps from the drivers seat to the TC if that is a show stopper. what can I say. I have never liked the bigger campers. I spend very little time inside mine except to sleep and eat. We are not campground loungers. We are always out on the Kayaks, bikes, hiking, fly fishing, or snowshoeing. Cost wise. I use mine 50-80 nights per year. the upkeep costs have been minimal. Mine is a 2008 and cost me $20,000 back when I bought it. It is now sitting in the bed of its second truck. the money works out to about what it would have cost to stay in hotels all those nights not including going out for meals.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
And those of us that have TCs instead of a fifth wheel or travel trailer do so because we go places where we would not want to tow anything behind us. I have had a TC for 8 years. It doesn't have slide outs and it fits our lifestyle and needs perfectly. 4x4 diesel and we can go almost anywhere at any time of year in snow heat rain and go camping. Nothing like waking up with 20" of snow covering the rig, strapping on the snowshoes and heading out into the forest. Strap on some chains and put it in 4x4 and head on down the mountain when the time comes. No way I want to be going down the mountain in snow with a trailer even if the trailer has chains on it's wheels.

But you can do the same with the Winnebago I mentioned. Plus: you have more room inside, and do not have to get out into the snow/rain to access the cab or kitchen or bathroom and/or drive it off.

To each his own but as the OP asked where is the cost justification.

I can see a TC as a occasional add on to a everyday driver pickup to go up for a few nights recreation, if the cost was not outrageous. The fact is the cost is outrageous and the benefit is not significant over other options.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I think taking TC complexity the prices are not that bad.
Not only you have engineering marvel, but I compare my Lance to house.
My Lance has more lights than average 3 bdrms house.
No house has 3-way refrigerator, or dual power WH.
Only few stick houses have back-up generators permanently mounted.
All that design to withstands 100 mph winds, when this season we have seen in few states what 70 mph winds can do to stick houses.
If you don't like new sticker value - buy used. Lot of people having disposable income buy new TC, use it once or twice and 3 seasons later sell for 1/2 price.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
How can a truck camper with no suspension or frame cost as much as a trailer??

My question also..

I have been kicking around the idea of full timing again and I could get a new fifth wheel or a new big travel trailer for less than the price of a new truck camper.A Jayco HT 306rk is less than 40K while most 9ft+ truck campers are over 40K and some 50K..

I truly do not understand why with less materials and other things than a trailer or fiver.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04