cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prodigy P2 Brake Controller

Bobbie_Cat
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a prodigy p2 brake controller and had it installed on my 2011 Nissan Titan in 2011. All went well except once in a while it would hang up and start flashing 05 when the trailer was not hitched up.
I would hit the controller brake and it would stop. Recently it has been hanging up very often mostly when I cut off the ignition. (my quick reference card doesn't list 05 as a code). Can't find my controller owner manual. If I forget to check the trailer controller when I turn off the ignition it flashes until I start the truck which in the winter may be a week or more. Something is amiss and it is pulling on my truck battery.

I am female, in my 70's and not mechanically inclined. Need some ideas so I don't get ripped off when I take it in. I will gladly buy a new controller IF that is the problem. I am thinking its a short. But I have no idea what the life expectancy of a brake controller is. I put about 10,000 miles annually hauling the trailer.
7 REPLIES 7

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a Link to the manual. I don’t see 05 as an error code.

Please let us know what you fin after your call.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Manuals for almost every product are on the web somewhere anymore is you are so inclined.

Bobbie_Cat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I will give them a call. Yes it is 05.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on giving them a call. I've been told they have great technical support. And don't forget the Prodigy has a lifetime warranty.

I bought mine in 2005, it's been used on 3 tow vehicles and 2 different trailers.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Your best bet is to call Tekonsha and ask for help.

Maybe instead of 05 it is saying OS . I still don't know what that means though and giving them a call is your best bet.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet is to call Tekonsha and ask for help.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Hi Bobbie and welcome to the forum.
05 doesn't seem to be a code for the P2. Are you sure that's what it is? Could it be o9?
When you shut the vehicle off, the P2 should extinguish after a few minutes.
Also, Prodigy's aren't known to have a short life. I've worn out several other brands but my P2 is still working after many years.