cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Tank in Way of WD Lift Brackets

RescueRam3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Keystone Bullet 308BHS and a Curt Weight Distribution Kit. When I go to place the lift chain attached the spring bars to the lift/snap-up brackets, the lift bracket is too far back. In other words, the chain does not go straight up from the spring bar to the lift bracket. The lift bracket is too far down the frame, resulting in the chain going up from the spring bar to the lift bracket in a pretty good angle. The fix would be to simply move the lift bracket closer to the hitch, BUT, the propane tanks/tray is in the way. I believe the propane tray is welded to the frame so that not so easy to move out of the way.

My stupid ass dealer give me a deer in headlights look and has no clue what to do, or at least seems disinterested in helping me fix the problem.

Solution?
11 REPLIES 11

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
These kinds of problems give me gas.....

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
Like an Equalizer? I kinda like the concept but have no experience. Do they squawk and groan or are they quiet?

The Equal-i-zer is one of the most popular WD systems on the market but it's also probably the noisiest - groans and squeaks like crazy when it's working properly. I owned a 1000 / 10,000 lb version for several years but if I were to buy another I'd now instead go with a Blue Ox Sway Pro which offers quite a few advantages over the older Equal-i-zer design, is priced similarly, and is nowhere near as noisy.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes some TTs have them welded. I had one.
If a different brand of brackets can be used, such as the ones already mentioned, that may be a solution. Or the different length bars if that ia an option. Other than that, a cutting wheel, and grinder to cut the bracket off. repaint it and then reinstall it with screws. Really not all that hard. If you need a grinder, Harbor Freight sells them cheap.
You do need the chains as vertical as possible when the TV/TT are in a straight line. They become angled when turning. If they are angled before turning, then there will likely be contact between the bars and frame when turning.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
personally I think you should have spent a little more money and got the one with built in sway control. the brackets are put any where with in a few inches of the room you have and the bars slide much better than the chains hanging. can you take it back and get a better WD system

Like an Equalizer? I kinda like the concept but have no experience. Do they squawk and groan or are they quiet?
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Did you by chance get the short arm Curt WDH? Curt makes two different lengths. Did you just buy this trailer and hitch from this dealer? If so I would insist he make it right.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
personally I think you should have spent a little more money and got the one with built in sway control. the brackets are put any where with in a few inches of the room you have and the bars slide much better than the chains hanging. can you take it back and get a better WD system

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you find that moving the tank brackets forwards interferes with the tongue jack, you can attach the WDH brackets and then use spacers between the tank tray and the frame. You may be able to use the original fasteners or you may have some drilling and fastener addition. All of it is fairly easy to do. Good luck.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I doubt the chains being angled rather than perpendicular causes any problem.

Any installation instructions I've seen for WD systems utilizing chains insist the chains run straight up to the brackets. To address this potential interference issue Blue Ox offers for their Sway Pro system two different styles of frame brackets - conventional clamp on and a bolt on style that allows positioning of the brackets anywhere on the frame regardless of what may else may be mounted on that frame. Couldn't say whether Curt offers this option or not.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt the chains being angled rather than perpendicular causes any problem.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
If the propane bracket is welded to frame you will need to notch the propane bracket to allow the WDH brackets to slide forward.

But I also think the Propane bracket is not welded mine was just self tapping screws also.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You have to move the tank holder. It's not hard, usually just a few self tapping screws.