cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane tanks

Integritas
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I have several questions and am going to post them as different topics in case others have these questions too and they don't just get lost in a general post.

Propane tanks....... I have 2 on the front of my trailer. I do not know how to tell how full they are. Can I put gauges on them? they seem to be linked so do I open both of them when we are going on propane or just one?

When you fill them do you have to take them off the trailer or can the fill station do it when we are on our way out while they are on the trailer?

I smell propane when I get up towards the tongue of the trailer, should I take the tanks and have them fixed or is that normal? It is not crazy overwhelming but I know I am by the propane tanks.

I think for now that is it for propane questions.
52 REPLIES 52

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can run some hot water on the side of the tank. Then feel the tank where it stays cold. That's the level of propane.

You can also remove the tank and weigh it. The lighter it is, the less full it is. While you have it off, you can also swish it around and if you hear fluid swishing around, it has some gas in it.

How I run my tanks is I have an auto change over regulator (it's a 2002 model, so most any new rig should have this feature too) and I open both tanks fully open. There is a lever that you turn to point to either tank. The tank it's pointing to will be the ONLY tank you draw from.

You should also note that there will be a GREEN or RED band on top of the regulator. This indicates that the tank you are drawing from still has some gas in it.. If it's RED, that means you are drawing from the other tank and you need to swap out the empty one.

Move the lever to the other tank, remove the empty one, refill it, put it back on and wait for the other tank to empty. Repeat...

But, that's just what I do.. Does not work for everyone, so just gotta figure out what your propane usage is and how often you are willing to check the actual tanks and go from there..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Here are 4 ways to check your propane tanks

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ways-to-estimate-how-much-propane-you-have-left/
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have to remove the portable tanks from the camper to get them refilled.

You can buy a temperature sensitive strip that glues to the lp tank and can help you determine how much fuel is in your tank. You attach the strip to the tank, pour hot water on the side of the tank where the strip is mounted, the strip will change color when you pour the hot water on it, the strip will change color less at the level of the liquid that is in the tank. Here is a link:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,40734,40996&p=55008
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Integritas wrote:
should I take the tanks and have them fixed or is that normal?
If there's any significant propane leak, it's more likely the hoses than the tanks.

A little propane smell is normal for my tanks, but they're enclosed.

Actually that applies to mine as well. They are enclosed too. methyl mercaptan, the odorant in propane stinks afterwards always. I hate that smell.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Integritas wrote:
should I take the tanks and have them fixed or is that normal?
If there's any significant propane leak, it's more likely the hoses than the tanks.

A little propane smell is normal for my tanks, but they're enclosed.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I echo not using the propane until you get the leak fixed!

How old is the trailer/tanks? It is highly unlikely the tanks themselves are leaking. Check out the hoses, regulator, fittings first. You can make a solution of dish detergent/water and brush it on. The leak will be evident by bubbling.

Integritas
Explorer
Explorer
So how do you know how much propane you have?

The tanks are off so that is why I am wondering why I smell propane.

We are going out for a two week trip tomorrow but might be able to get them to a place when we stop in SoCal. The trailer is new to us and we are new to adventuring so I want to to it right. We will probably be needing to winterize the trailer when we get back. So I will be check that out soon. Right now just preparing for a trip.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Propane tank gages are pretty useless,
Smell gas you have a leak! Turn the tanks off, and get the trailer to someone that knows what he is doing.

DO NOT USE ANYTHING UNTIL YOU GET THE LEAK FIXED.