cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane tanks

Integritas
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I have several questions and am going to post them as different topics in case others have these questions too and they don't just get lost in a general post.

Propane tanks....... I have 2 on the front of my trailer. I do not know how to tell how full they are. Can I put gauges on them? they seem to be linked so do I open both of them when we are going on propane or just one?

When you fill them do you have to take them off the trailer or can the fill station do it when we are on our way out while they are on the trailer?

I smell propane when I get up towards the tongue of the trailer, should I take the tanks and have them fixed or is that normal? It is not crazy overwhelming but I know I am by the propane tanks.

I think for now that is it for propane questions.
52 REPLIES 52

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
$89 for two sensors and a monitor. Free app for phone.
Lou

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
LScamper wrote:
TankCheck does a sound check and shows results on a monitor or a smart phone in percent or inches.

But....requires a $89 sensor.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
TankCheck does a sound check and shows results on a monitor or a smart phone in percent or inches.
Lou

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
A truma level check will measure quite accurately and quickly. A bit pricey tho.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
They need to make an audio app, you tap the cylinder when empty and when full. It records the sound and “ calibrates “ on your phone app to show tank status when you tap on it in sense mode.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
And to be technically correct, what you have are propane CYLINDERS, not tanks

REALLY...Almost everyone calls them tank including major propane outfits...

So we have the weight police and the tank/cylinder police now...(Laffin)

It's the internet folks....

AMERIGAS
Propane Tank Exchange
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, my LP switch turns on the right side tank when pointed to the right and the left side when pointed to the left. I believe middle is the off position.

It is true that automatic change over valves eliminates switching tanks on a cold rainy night. However, it is not of much help when it is cold and rainy and you discover it had switched over some time back and now both tanks are empty. 🙂
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
My setup has a auto changeover valve with a red/green indicator to show empty or not. When one tank goes empty the level indicator turns red and the valve automatically switches over to the full tank. I periodically check the tank indicator to see if it's red. If I see it's red then I turn the valve lever towards the full tank, turn off the empty tank, have it filled, re-install and turn it on.

My appliances never run out of propane unless by some fluke I run both tanks empty before getting a fill.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Did you get both cylinders filled today? Does the indicator now show fully green?

Based on your previous post I think there is some confusion on the function of the pointer and the sight glass.
The pointer should be pointed at only one cylinder or the other and never in the center. When you point the indicator at one cylinder it does two things.
  1. The pointer selects which cylinder the indicator window is monitoring.
  2. The pointer tells you which cylinder is empty when you find the window red.

Also the window should always be full red or full green, never half and half. If the window goes only half way it is sticking and the regulator should be replaced.

Here's an easy test to verify the auto changeover functionality and it takes less than 10 minutes.

• Start with both cylinders full and turned on.
  • Make sure the pointer is pointed at only one cylinder.
  • Go inside and light the oven at 350 degrees or put on a pot of water to boil.
  • Leave the burner or oven on and go back outside.
  • Turn off the cylinder that the pointer is pointed at to simulate running out of propane.
  • Observe the window, in a few minutes it should change from green to fully red meaning the cylinder is empty.
  • Do not move the pointer, just go back inside the trailer and check that the flame is still burning.
  • If it's still burning then you know your auto switchover regulator is working.
  • Now go outside and move the pointer over to the other cylinder.
  • The window should go from red to green.
  • This shows you which cylinder you are now drawing propane from.
  • Now to see if the regulator works in the opposite direction.
  • Turn on the first cylinder and turn off the second cylinder.
  • After a few minutes the indicator should once again turn red.
  • Go inside the trailer and observe the flame.
  • If the flame stays lit you know know the regulator will successfully auto switch in both directions.
  • Turn off the flame or oven.
  • Go outside and restore the pointer to the first cylinder and turn on both cylinder valves.

Now that you know the regulator will auto switch you have a decision to make. Which method that you read on here are you going to use.

1. Point at one cylinder. Leave the other cylinder turned off. Wait until you find out the cylinder is empty because the stove or furnace stops. This method could cause you to go out in the dead of night to turn on the other cylinder.
  2. Check the indicator every evening or every other evening to see if it's red. If the window is red flip the pointer to the other cylinder and turn off the now empty cylinder. Go about your evening.

In the morning disconnect the now empty cylinder and get it filled. Then put the cylinder back on the trailer and depending on your method above either (method 1) Leave the cylinder off, or (Method 2) turn the cylinder on.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Integritas
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I did not post the age of my trailer. It is a 2004 Fleetwood Pioneer. We pulled in to my friends house the other night where we are staying for a few days. I opened both cylinder valves and tried to light the oven pilot and nothing. I pulled the cover off the cylinders in front and found a lever so I moved it to the down position and in the dark with a flash light the best I could see was MAYBE a green ring came up in the plastic housing and then I was able to light the pilot. I have not checked it since we got here but will be doing that today. We will be getting the cylinders filled today and changing over the tongue jack and a few other little things on the trailer before we move on to AZ.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a gauge on each of our 2 tanks. They basically give you 3 readings - full, almost empty and empty. If I check them and see one is reading at the low end of green, I know it's gonna be empty pdq. Kinda works okay. They were on sale cheap in a store so no big loss of $$.

The factory installed the changeover valve facing to the rear and you couldn't see the indicator. I rotated it 180 degrees but the hose was a bit too short but solved that by moving the tank tray closer towards the rear of the trailer.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My brother-in-law has a 90's vintage class C. The tank is permanently mounted. He fills locally by the gallon.

When I travel for long periods of time, I carry an extra tank along with my extra can of gasoline.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
Try TankCheck bluetooth tank monitors.
Lou

Junket
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the cylinders with ones that have a built in gauge that works off a float. Just have to open the top of the cover to see how much is left.

This works best for me also with the little round things that hold propane in the tongue of my trailer;)
Ken
2005 Dodge Cummins 610 325Hp 3.73 Auto
2016 Wildcat 26FBS
Go Fast 66 Cobra replica 500+HP Richmond 6sp
2015 Jeep unlimited
23ft. Striper boat

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP never told us how old her trailer is. I will assume it is new enough to have an automatic switch over valve. If so, fill both cylinders and open them BOTH up slowly. Notice which direction the valve is turned. WATCH for the red to show up in the valve and when it does, switch the valve to the other direction, turn off the valve to the empty cylinder and remove it. Refill it and put it back on the trailer, hook up the hose and slowly open the valve.

Now, if you don't want to check for the red indicator you should turn only one tank on and wait for this to run out. As posted, this will happen usually in the dead of night, during a cold and often rainy night as it turns out. Get out of bed, get dressed, get a raincoat on and grab a flashlight and go out and switch the valve over to the full tank. Enjoy the black cold and rainy night while you are out there.

In my state I pay by the gallons I have used. I just traveled into the middle of the country and took an empty cylinder to be filled while is was in Wisconsin. The guy put it on a scale and weighed, told me it was empty and filled it. After weighing it he charged me for 7 gallons. After asking him, he told me they don't measure by the gallon but when I was watching him run the pump I noticed a second system that did measure by the gallon just like we have here at home. He told me that larger motor homes and some campers can't remove their cylinders so they measure the gallons in those situations. What? I asked him the obvious question and he told me doing it by the gallon cost the customer more in the long run. Never heard of such nonsense.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch