cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchased a 2000 Jayco Kiwi 17A- now what?

Andysol
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All- brand new member, first time poster. I participate in a couple other forums of interest (Disney and Blu-Rays), and will try me best to not be a "selfish" poster who only asks questions and never offers advice. But being brand new to RVs and Camping, I'll be in the questions department for a while- so thanks in advance.

Just purchased a 2000 Jayco Kiwi 17A for $2800- I think I did pretty well as I researched what to buy quite a bit. The floor had a ~12x12" soft spot previously but has been repaired and it doesnt leak anymore- also floor was replaced.
Everything works- Microwave, AC, gas grill, furnace, fridge, all lights, awning in good condition, etc. Brand new wheels and tires and battery.

He hadn't used it in two years- so should I get the gas lines tested prior to usage? They worked while I was there, but I only pressurized the lines for a minute or so to test furnace and grill hookup (forgot to test outside grill hookup).

I still would like to go over the roof and all seems with a nice epoxy coating- any suggestions on an effective, yet inexpensive brand? I've worked with 2 part epoxys before doing garage floors (700 ft worth at a time)- so a 17' sounds like a breeze.
Outside of that, anything else major I should check?
Any tricks to maintaining the canvas?

I, unfortunately, didn't check the water lines (sink, shower, toilet)- like a moron- so I guess that's the next step as well.

Thanks in advance everyone- I plan on taking it out a couple times before winterizing. Or do I even need to "truly" winterize it outside of emptying tanks since I'm in Dallas?
8 REPLIES 8

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah that's the bane of single axle any type of trailer. Max 3500gvw with 300lbs or less payload whether a pup,hybrid, travel trailer, and utility trailer. Load water and it's overweight.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Hudson54
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Don't load too much gear in it. Low carrying capacity.

I put most of the heavier stuff in the pickup bed. One of these days I'll take it to a CAT scale and check to see what I have. The low carrying capacity is one of the main reasons I upgraded to larger tires and wheels with a higher load rating. i realize the axle/torsio n bars are rated to a certain weight, though

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Don't load too much gear in it. Low carrying capacity.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Hudson54
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a pic

Hudson54
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a 2001 of the same model as yours. I've done extensive mods since we bought it. Some necessary, most not. The roof caps where they met the roof needed to be re-sealed first thing, so I just used the Dicor self leveling sealant on those. Later i used the Dicor 2 part system to refinish the roof. I assume your roof is the same type as mine.
Not sure if you've checked it out yet, but I have posted quite a few pics over in the Jayco Owners forum.

Andysol
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Why not determine what your roof is made of, then ask what other would suggest first? There is a lot of flex involved with roofs on RV's and it is a lot different than garage floors.

Checking water lines and hot water tanks is indeed important. Also checking your drain lines and the operation of dump valves.

Put a bucket under your sewage drain and see if anything is in the black tank. Then try the gray tank. Hopefully they are empty.

Pour pink water down the sink, see that it comes out the dump valve and nothing leaks. Do the same with your black system. The time to check these things is now, not after leaking all over a campground. Try it with a few buckets of water down each, check your dump hose so you know it doesn't leak. If you can get to around the base of the toilet and shower, put some paper towels around them and dump a few buckets in. Paper towels should remain dry.

Now you can test the white water tank and pump, and city connection and taps. Again, put paper towel around underneath taps and toilet valves. Leaks will be apparent. Keep us posted on your check outs.

Appreciate the advice on the water very much.
It's a TPO roof, so I think I'll just need to seal as needed from what I've read.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Why not determine what your roof is made of, then ask what other would suggest first? There is a lot of flex involved with roofs on RV's and it is a lot different than garage floors.

Checking water lines and hot water tanks is indeed important. Also checking your drain lines and the operation of dump valves.

Put a bucket under your sewage drain and see if anything is in the black tank. Then try the gray tank. Hopefully they are empty.

Pour pink water down the sink, see that it comes out the dump valve and nothing leaks. Do the same with your black system. The time to check these things is now, not after leaking all over a campground. Try it with a few buckets of water down each, check your dump hose so you know it doesn't leak. If you can get to around the base of the toilet and shower, put some paper towels around them and dump a few buckets in. Paper towels should remain dry.

Now you can test the white water tank and pump, and city connection and taps. Again, put paper towel around underneath taps and toilet valves. Leaks will be apparent. Keep us posted on your check outs.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
The best tip for maintaining canvas is to get a set of Popup Gizmos, also known as PUGs.

What and where was the water leak from, that damaged the floor?
And how do you know if the leak source was fixed?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes