Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Queen and bunk lengths

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

In researching our first TT, I have been sold on the murphy bed idea as an idea to tow shorter, with the flexibility that a MB offers. However, the ones I'm seeing are a short queen length at 75". Hubby is 6'3", and our home Cal King is 85". I think 10 inches is a lot to sacrifice! Also, I have a son 6 feet tall I'm trying to accommodate in a bunk. SO....

1) Are all Murphy's short queens?
2) Do most bunks fit a 6 foot tall adult?

The Rockwood 2509s really seems to fit the bill but I'm really not sure my hubby would be comfortable with the short queen. Would it be better to just find the full size queen and sacrifice any interior room we might gain from a Murphy? We expect to spend most of our time outdoors.

Since it's our first towing experience, I'm really nervous to get anything much longer than 24-25 feet, but I want my guys to sleep comfortable. Any thoughts or experiences to share? Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, diagonal on a full type bunk for the tall kido. And a queen that you can hang your feet off of. I have a older kz with a king bed, and I barley fit at 6'6". Daughter is tall, but still only 8. I could fit on the full bed in the front of mine , tight but doable. Best bet would be to see something before buying it and test it out.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I know this is not helpful, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm sorry if it sounds like I am. But, if your son is 6 foot tall he will not want to go camping with you for very many more summers anyway. Purchase what you are comfortable with and tell the kid to be happy with taking him along and then tell him to go get his own TT in a year or two.

I was 6' in 6th grade, lol.

You really went out on a limb here. I, too, was very tall at an early age, as were both my kids. They are 17 and 19 Now, and WANT to go camping EVERY time we go. We are elated. Life is short. Iโ€™ll take them as long as they want to go, and once they go out on their own, they can follow with their own rigs, but frankly, the way this world is going, it will be a long, long time before they (and most young kids) can afford a decent tow rig and a camper to use 10-12x a year.
We take friends a couple weekends a season and our kids stay home, so we NEED arrangements for another couple. Almost no trailers accommodate with two queens, so we would be forced to bunks. We tried considering recliners and tri-gold sodas, but they all were too heavy and long for us. The only trailers with long bunks we found were the K-Z Connect series, which we bought, or the Grand Design Imagine series. Other options were L-shaped bunks, but again, long and heavy.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I know this is not helpful, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm sorry if it sounds like I am. But, if your son is 6 foot tall he will not want to go camping with you for very many more summers anyway. Purchase what you are comfortable with and tell the kid to be happy with taking him along and then tell him to go get his own TT in a year or two.

I was 6' in 6th grade, lol.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
We ran the same dilemma with me being 6โ€™-5โ€ and my son being 6โ€™-4โ€. We purchased a K-Z Connect with their 50โ€ x 75โ€ bunks, giving over 90โ€ crosswise. The queen up front for me is 75โ€, too, but there is a good walkway at the end, and my feet can hang over. They offer a Murphy bed model we almost bought, but opted for the front bedroom privacy with the sliding door.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Fourkidletts wrote:
The Rockwood 2509s really seems to fit the bill but I'm really not sure my hubby would be comfortable with the short queen.

Your son won;t be happy either. The double bunks are listed as 48"x72". Fine for 2 pre-teens !

I was thinking they could sleep diagonal? I need to find one and throw them in one I guess!

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
IDT there is any "all" or any standard for murphy beds. Keep looking, the bed length will be designed to fit into the camper design. Find one that works.

Warning: campers are built to appeal to the wife. This is not to be negative in any way, but the women tend to look at colors, and fabrics and counter tops, and pantrys, where the man will look at the structure, build quality and usefulness of the camper. Campers can be built like junk bc the female is not going to see that, only the splendor of visual appeal. Let the man pick it out, as he will be immune to the trickery aimed at you.
It is easier to hang a new curtain than to rebuild a bad structure.

For some people they want to live in their camper, looking out the window at the beauty of where they parked. For others they need a home base - a place to sleep and cook a few meals and to store their stuff while they go out and explore. This is a big difference when choosing a camper.

Family comes back from adventure, everyone wants a shower, one is cooking, then everyone wants to site and eat and relax all at the same time. It is packed with people so the decorations and interior design colors dont matter as much as where to sit, can we move around, is there enough water, and does the camper work for a family...

For me what matters is
Bed
AC
Heat
Kitchen
Shower
I have a nice bed, but it folds up out of the way. I need the basics, AC, heat, shower and a way to cook and clean up. That's all I need, the rest is bonus. For me camper is home base, not home.

Many people regret their first camper.

Thank you Sir for your comments. "Let the man pick it out?!!" Did you see my questions about bed lengths, and my comment about wanting to tow shorter for safety? I have posted many times on here about getting the right TV, and towing within guidelines. I don't give a rats ass about the fabrics/curtains lol! Your comments do show that I'm on the right track, being concerned about the right things. You make some good points about what people are looking for, we tend to be more the ones that just need a home base. IF "the man" had picked this out, we'd be likely hauling a 40 foot toy hauler and needing a new TV, BTW!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
The Rockwood 2509s really seems to fit the bill but I'm really not sure my hubby would be comfortable with the short queen.

Your son won;t be happy either. The double bunks are listed as 48"x72". Fine for 2 pre-teens !

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
IDT there is any "all" or any standard for murphy beds. Keep looking, the bed length will be designed to fit into the camper design. Find one that works.

Warning: campers are built to appeal to the wife. This is not to be negative in any way, but the women tend to look at colors, and fabrics and counter tops, and pantrys, where the man will look at the structure, build quality and usefulness of the camper. Campers can be built like junk bc the female is not going to see that, only the splendor of visual appeal. Let the man pick it out, as he will be immune to the trickery aimed at you.
It is easier to hang a new curtain than to rebuild a bad structure.

For some people they want to live in their camper, looking out the window at the beauty of where they parked. For others they need a home base - a place to sleep and cook a few meals and to store their stuff while they go out and explore. This is a big difference when choosing a camper.

Family comes back from adventure, everyone wants a shower, one is cooking, then everyone wants to site and eat and relax all at the same time. It is packed with people so the decorations and interior design colors dont matter as much as where to sit, can we move around, is there enough water, and does the camper work for a family...

For me what matters is
Bed
AC
Heat
Kitchen
Shower
I have a nice bed, but it folds up out of the way. I need the basics, AC, heat, shower and a way to cook and clean up. That's all I need, the rest is bonus. For me camper is home base, not home.

Many people regret their first camper.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Murphy bed in a Rockwood ultra light that is 24 feet. I fit fine in it at 6'2". The dinette is much larger than most and will fit my brother of the same size. Outdoor RV has some big dinettes also.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bunks are problem when your cute little kids turn into big stinky teenagers. Weโ€™ve got 4 bunks, that are 73โ€ long, but my son is now 75โ€. So he sleeps on the u-shaped dinette, and I have 3 empty bunks.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bunks in my 181BH are 75" long, works for my 6'1" son. The main bed is 82" which works well for me at 6'3". I do kinda wish we had done a Murphy bed as I might not be looking at bigger trailers but an RV queen was out of the question for me.

*edit*

Looks like Coachman Apex 226BH has a full 60x80 queen Murphy, it's discontinued but there are still a few out there. Unfortunately they don't list the dimension on the bunks.

Forest River RV IBEX 19MBH 60x80 queen Murphy and 44x74 bunks, 24' 8" and 4k dry weight. The dinette is going to be VERY tight with 4 large folks though.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Bunks are for kids or people with vertical challenges (short). The only way you're going to get your 6' tall son in a bunk is to run him through the dryer on high for a couple of cycles. I tried it once at 6' tall sleeping corner to opposite corner, not happening again. Maybe if you put at foot stool at the end of the MB for your hubby...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Accommodate a 6 foot son in an RV bunk? Good luck.
โ€œWe expect to spend most of our time outdoors.โ€ Including sleeping?
Towing a 25 foot TT isnโ€™t much different than a 30 provided your TV is adequate. Buy an RV with good sleeping accommodations for everyone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad