cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about propane water heater?

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
Is it best practice to turn off the water heater at night and then light it and turn it back on in the morning for showers?

Obviously turning it off will save propane but is it causing additional wear and tear with the on/off/on/off operation?
44 REPLIES 44

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Atlee wrote:
Should one shut off their gas furnace at home during the night when they are sleeping?

Can a water heater fail, and then burn? Sure. But what are the chances? If there was anything approaching a problem with water heaters catching on fire, we'd be hearing about it no end on this board, and other RV boards. But all I hear are crickets.

We used to hear volumes about trailer tires, especially the so called "china bombs" exploding all the time. But even then the % of users experiencing that was very, very low.

What % of water heaters do you believe actually burn?

I was responding to CavemanCharlie who didn't see a safety issue beyond carbon monoxide or the water heater blowing up. The fridge, furnace, water heater, stove, and oven are all designed to generate heat. There's always a risk of having a uncontrolled fire when using these items. One of the reasons why these things come equipped with a, albeit useless sometimes, fire extinguisher.

I thought it was a pretty simple point. The point of my post was not to debate if one should or should not turn your water heater off at night. I don't really care if you turn your water heater off or not, what tires you're running, or what you do at home with your furnace.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Should one shut off their gas furnace at home during the night when they are sleeping?

Can a water heater fail, and then burn? Sure. But what are the chances? If there was anything approaching a problem with water heaters catching on fire, we'd be hearing about it no end on this board, and other RV boards. But all I hear are crickets.

We used to hear volumes about trailer tires, especially the so called "china bombs" exploding all the time. But even then the % of users experiencing that was very, very low.

What % of water heaters do you believe actually burn?

proxim2020 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I don't understand what would go wrong that would be a safety issue ?

They are vented to outside as far as carbon monoxide is concerned. And they have a relief valve if the pressure gets to high. (I suppose you could test the relief valve once a year if you want) But, when was the last time you ever heard of one blowing up ? I think myth busters did a episode on one of them blowing up and they had a hard time getting it to blow up when they wanted it to.

While they have a pretty good track record, the chance of a fire is always present with any appliance that's designed to generate heat. Water heater fires do happen from time to time with both gas and electric water heaters. Waters heater fires can be started by electrical shorts, flames leaping out of the burner tube, gas leaks, blocked flues, failed control boards, etc.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Community Alumni
Not applicable
CavemanCharlie wrote:

They are vented to outside as far as carbon monoxide is concerned. And they have a relief valve if the pressure gets to high. (I suppose you could test the relief valve once a year if you want) But, when was the last time you ever heard of one blowing up ? I think myth busters did a episode on one of them blowing up and they had a hard time getting it to blow up when they wanted it to.

While they have a pretty good track record, the chance of a fire is always present with any appliance that's designed to generate heat. Water heater fires do happen from time to time with both gas and electric water heaters. Waters heater fires can be started by electrical shorts, flames leaping out of the burner tube, gas leaks, blocked flues, failed control boards, etc.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say there is a much higher chance of a really bad accident happening on the road to where you're camping than there is for the water heater to blow up, or catch on fire.

But you are not going to stop driving to where ever it is you're camping.

afidel wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
we turn ours off at night or if we are gone for more than 4 hours or so. more of a anal safety issue than anything else. the water will stay warm enough overnight, get up in the morning, turn it on, have my coffee and it is hot enough for showers etc.

Do you need to do this? NO. does it cause any reliability problems. I seriously doubt it.

Yeah, I turn it off at night because the bunks are directly over the hot water heater. The likelyhood of a problem is small but the results would be unimaginably bad so the simple act of turning it off is worth the piece of mind. I turn it on when I use the bathroom in the morning and it's ready for cooking or morning showers. The hot water heater is going to cycle no matter what so that wear and tear would be a wash, the switch is probably good for a couple thousand activations minimum and is easy and cheap to replace if it fails.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I turn my water heater gas burner off overnite just because if it comes on once or twice, itโ€™s very loud... both to me and any nearby camper neighbors
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
we turn ours off at night or if we are gone for more than 4 hours or so. more of a anal safety issue than anything else. the water will stay warm enough overnight, get up in the morning, turn it on, have my coffee and it is hot enough for showers etc.

Do you need to do this? NO. does it cause any reliability problems. I seriously doubt it.

Yeah, I turn it off at night because the bunks are directly over the hot water heater. The likelyhood of a problem is small but the results would be unimaginably bad so the simple act of turning it off is worth the piece of mind. I turn it on when I use the bathroom in the morning and it's ready for cooking or morning showers. The hot water heater is going to cycle no matter what so that wear and tear would be a wash, the switch is probably good for a couple thousand activations minimum and is easy and cheap to replace if it fails.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I turn my WH once a day....right after supper. I wash the day's dishes and take a shower.

The WH is directly under my bed.......noise and safety reasons point me directly to the OFF switch.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
If you have close neighbors, please turn off your gas WH at night. They're very loud. Take your shower at night before bed. That way you don't go to bed with the day's dirt on you, you'll sleep better, and your sheets will stay clean longer.

Particularly if you have an Atwood HWT, those things sound like a 787 taking off, I unfortuneately have one so I do turn it off at nite.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, I guess we can conclude that:

1. If your WH is loud enough that it disturbs people (whether inside your RV or out), you might want to turn it off at night;

2. If your WH is directly under a bed, you might want to turn it off at night.

3. Otherwise, there is no requirement for turning off the WH while you're camping.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

This is a really good point. Our hwh is under the rear bunks as well. I think I'll stick with the off at night, on in the morning routine. just for piece of mind.

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if you could put the WH on a timer

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
It is not much difference than having a natural gas water heater and gas furnace in your home. We leave them on all the time. Of course the thermostat will still control when they actually turn off and on.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
WH is on as soon as I know itโ€™s full. Itโ€™s turned off when we leave for any length of time as is the water at the hose bibb.
As far as noise, on the outside, the reefer is very quiet, the WH is a little less so, but not annoyingly so. The furnace can be heard, but nothing like the AC.
I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve ever been in a completely quiet campground at any hour.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch