cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about tire pressure

MG1912
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 Ford F350 6.0 supercab long bed SRW has Nitto Terra Grappler G2 A/T LT295/70R18 E 129/126Q tires front and rear. The truck came with 275/70R18 LRE tires, which were replaced by the previous owner. I wrote to Nitto to ask them about recommended tire pressures for my truck camper application (~3,000 on front axle and ~7,000 on the rear axle). I received what seemed to me like a lawyerly response:

"Based on the information provided, the calculated pressure for your Terra Grappler G2 tires is 65 PSI cold pressure on the front tires and 68 PSI cold pressure on the rear tires. At these inflation pressures, your tires are supporting the same amount of weight as your OEM tires did per the vehicle manufacturer's specifications. For any increase in pressure due to towing, we would recommend referring to your vehicle owner's manual for any instructions."

I was surprised because I would have thought they'd recommend closer to 80 PSI for the rear tires. Is their response cautious due to liability concerns? The reference to OEM tires and the vehicle owner's manual makes me suspect this. Or do the recommended pressures sound right?
46 REPLIES 46

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thread’s dead. Move on bro.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
MG1912 wrote:

I went to the CAT scale today with all my gear, full tank of diesel, full cassette reservoir (3 gallons), and full fresh water tank (40 gallons). Looks like I'm under my GAWR for the axles, but very slightly over GVWR.

With this new information, I recalculated.
Apeared to be singleload behind.
Not lowered, for offroad, as I did in first calc, it gave F52psi , R 73 psi.
When lowered with my pigheaded system, F 67 psi , R 95 psi( wich is not allowed anymore, so 80 psi) .
Then in the end 65/ 80 psi has not been a bad guess.

But can you give me , if your tires have those profileblocks, that cover part of sidewall or not.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
5 pages later, ended up at 80 psi in back.....lol

Right.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
5 pages later, ended up at 80 psi in back.....lol

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I run 75 in the rear/80 max and 65 in the front/70 max per recommendation from my tire dealer with my TC...Just got back from them and the mysterious inside dually extension disappearance on one side..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Think you will find the 55 psi for the front a bit too low as you will be really scuffing the tires on the corners. 65 psi will probably work out abut right and give you better feel when cornering. I only need 55 psi but feel the steering is soft and mushy, especially on back country and mountain roads. For mainly interstate driving, 65 feels good, but if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of twisty mountain roads, I bump it up to 70 or 75.

Good choice on the rear psi.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

MG1912
Explorer
Explorer
I'll try 55 PSI for the front tires and 80 on the rear.

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
MG1912, now that you know your axle weights, you can go to the link I provided earlier and find that the manufacture gave you the correct air pressure response to your initial inquiry.

You don't need 80 psi as some suggested.

https://tirepressure.com/nitto-terra-grappler-g2-tire-pressure

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

MG1912
Explorer
Explorer

I went to the CAT scale today with all my gear, full tank of diesel, full cassette reservoir (3 gallons), and full fresh water tank (40 gallons). Looks like I'm under my GAWR for the axles, but very slightly over GVWR.

MG1912
Explorer
Explorer
It was a joke.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
billtex wrote:

Does nervous Nellie = experienced?

Nope. = Typical RVnet chicken little responses

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
MG1912 wrote:
Okay, you buncha nervous Nellies sufficiently spooked me, and I upped the PSI in the rear tires to 80. I go to the CAT scales next week. Wish me luck.

Does nervous Nellie = experienced?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

MG1912
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, you buncha nervous Nellies sufficiently spooked me, and I upped the PSI in the rear tires to 80. I go to the CAT scales next week. Wish me luck.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MG1912 wrote:
Not knowing exactly what my weight is until I go back to the CAT station, we settled on 65 PSI for the front tires and 75 PSI for the rear tires for the time being. Driving from the dealership to my cousin's house (about 30 minutes) was a breeze. In fact, it was more comfortable than driving without the camper. I dialed the Rancho 9000 rear shocks to "max" or "9." I also have Torklift upper StableLoads, and the truck had a factory-installed rear sway bar (puny compared to the Hellwig, but seems to do the job for now).

Sounds about perfect! Motor on!