cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Diesel Maintenance

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
My next truck (4x4, CC) has to have a minimum 3000 lbs. of payload. That leaves me with either a 1 ton diesel (3500-4000 lbs.) or a 3/4 - 1 ton gasser (3200-4000 lbs.).

I've run my gasser vs. diesel numbers as far as purchase price, MPG (towing & empty) and resale.

I'm familiar with what's needed to maintain a gasser; however, never owned a diesel. Here's what I know, don't know, about diesel maintenance:

1. Oil costs are approx. double vs. a gasser due to twice the oil capacity.
2. Oil filter. I assume these cost a bit more than a gas oil filter?
3. Fuel Filters. Assuming DIY replacement, what can I expect to pay for filters? How often?
4. DEF. 2-4 cents of DEF used per a gallon of diesel??
5. Valves. Under normal operating conditions is adjustment ever necessary? If necessary, cost?
6. Injectors. Under normal operating conditions is maintenance/replacement necessary? If necessary, cost?

Other diesel specific maintenance items I may have overlooked?

Thanks!
33 REPLIES 33

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
My next truck (4x4, CC) has to have a minimum 3000 lbs. of payload. That leaves me with either a 1 ton diesel (3500-4000 lbs.) or a 3/4 - 1 ton gasser (3200-4000 lbs.).

I've run my gasser vs. diesel numbers as far as purchase price, MPG (towing & empty) and resale.

I'm familiar with what's needed to maintain a gasser; however, never owned a diesel. Here's what I know, don't know, about diesel maintenance:

3. Fuel Filters. Assuming DIY replacement, what can I expect to pay for filters? How often?
5. Valves. Under normal operating conditions is adjustment ever necessary? If necessary, cost?
6. Injectors. Under normal operating conditions is maintenance/replacement necessary? If necessary, cost?

Thanks!

1. It cost a little more, but do it less. I change my oil about once a year according to when the truck tells me its time.
2. Maybe, but again don't need it as often. A quick google search shows my oil filter anywhere from $15 - $22 and that is for the Motorcraft part.
3. For my truck the 2 filters are in the $50 - $60 range and I change them every 10,000 miles
4. I have put about 12000 miles on my truck this year and have added DEF 2 or 3 times, at $12 for a 2.5 gallon jug at Wally World.
5. I have not had any adjustments to mine
6. I have not had any adjustments to mine
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I wouldn't let maintence fees stop me from owning a diesel. If a few hundred bucks a year mean the difference between affordable or not then you are in no position to buy a truck.

^^^THIS^^^
Simple answer: yes, a diesel costs more for routine maintenance. Whether you're buying new or nearly new/barely used, you're going to drop $30K to $50K on your TV. Maintenance fees are so inconsequential to the full cost of ownership.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't let maintence fees stop me from owning a diesel. If a few hundred bucks a year mean the difference between affordable or not then you are in no position to buy a truck.

If you need a diesel for your trailer then there is no substitute. If you want a diesel then there is no substitute. ..I don't care if your pulling s pup....if you want a diesel then that's all that will scratch that itch.

If you want a tool that will do the job economically (lower price of entry) and fit the ratings you need for the trailer then a gasser makes great sense.

Not to start a gas vs diesel war... At all... But many people choose diesel when a gasser would be fine for a few simple reasons

1) MPG while towing can be significantly better with a diesel
2) Some people are RPM adverse and try to make a gasser perform while keeping the RPM under 3000...this makes the gasser unable to performe.
3) the option to use the big truck lanes while pulling the trailer while fueling up
4) The personal desire to have the biggest and most power available

I am sure there are others...

In the end... Get what you want!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
My Answers in BOLD. I will be using my personal 6.7L Cummins motor as a point of reference. I cannot speak for Duramax or Powerstroke owners. I'm also assuming you are only looking at the current generation of Diesels, nothing used.
otrfun wrote:

This depends. If you can use conventional (rarely/never below 0 degrees F), you can use dino 15W-40. You can get 12 quarts (3 gallons) for roughly $40. Only $10 more than what I spent on average for my F-150 running semi-synthetic 5W-20(minimum oil requirement per Ford back then). Or if you go full-synthetic, you're looking at roughly $63 in oil (I buy T-6 Rotella 5W-40 for about $21 per gallon).
For my truck, oil filters are roughly $11 to $13 for an oil filter. I like the LF16035 since it is a synthetic filter, so I've been spending roughly $13 per oil filter.
For my truck, it's roughly $110 for both filters. It's a yearly change-out for my truck (annual or 15,000 miles. Whichever comes first)
Just to make life easier, I figure a nickel per gallon of diesel. This is assuming you're paying around $2.80 a gallon for DEF
Every 150k miles. For the Cummins, you can DIY, just need a feeler gauge and a breaker bar to rotate the engine. Ford and Duramax don't require this service as I believe they both utilize hydraulic lifters.
These should last a minimum of around 300,000 miles in the worst of conditions. Longer in better conditions such as higher speed towing

Specific to the Cummins motor, you do have to occasionally change the Crank Case filter which costs about $77 when I last looked. This is done every 67,500 miles. However, this filter does an excellent job of keeping most of the oil mist out of your intake tract. I know Ford utilizes a service-free cyclone crank case filter unit, and I'm unsure what Duramax uses. That's the only thing I can think of adding to your list

Thanks!

Hopefully this helps.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I use a bypass, semisyn and do ECI. I haven't checked for a long time but I think my LOFs are cheaper than the gasser guys. OK, I just added it up... $113 in 18k miles. That includes taxes both filters and a UOA. I don't know what it costs for gasser LOFs these days or how often they're required. I have 3 fuel filters... total ~$35 with tax every 15k miles. That's probably a lot more than the gassers need. Overall, it's probably close to a wash. The power, mpg/range and resale make a diesel WELL worth it to me. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Either truck will do just fine. I enjoy driving my diesel a lot. But you hear a few horror stories about expensive fuel pump problems on diesels. Makes me nervous now and then. But I still have and plan to keep my diesel. It is a lot of fun towing at 60 mph at about 1600 rpms. But I would venture to say with the new DEF systems you run a greater risk of some emissions problems on the diesels. I did. But I am willing to deal with them for the ride.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
If buying new, get the dealer to throw in lifetime oil changes, that's what I did. DEF, I buy at Walmart. Other maintenance is done when needed, just like a gasser. Towing-night and day! I wouldn't ever go back to a gas truck!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
otrfun wrote:

Thanks!

1.Oil: I agree with your estimate
2. Oil Filter: Yes they cost a bit more than a gasser due to there physical size is bigger
3. Fuel Filters: Cost really depends on brand. I pay $70 for filters and change them ~20k miles. The Duramax can go much further on fuel filters.
4. DEF: Depends on how you drive the truck. I notice that DEF consumption is more during the hotter months and when I tow so DEF consumption varies and varies by brand too. I believe the cummins uses more DEF than a Duramax or Power Stroke.
5. Valves: Cummins required valve adjustments. Duramax and Power Strokes use hydraulic lifters there they don't require adjustment.
6. Injectors don't require any specific maintenance or adjustments. You can run a diesel fuel additive from time to time just to keep the injector clean.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget, there are 2 batteries to buy. That just might push you over the edge.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel maintenance 2014

Cost per mile -diesel worth it? 2014
diesel v gas - Dec 2014
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned my 2005 for about 4 years now. It holds ten quarts of oil and I average out 6500 miles a year. It only gets driven on weekends and when I'm camping.

1) I buy Rotella at Walmart in the 2.5 Gallon Jug for around $35. Change the oil twice a year
2) I buy an AC Delco Oil Filter at Auto Zone for around $9
3) The AC Delco fuel filter gets changed once a year and I usually find a coupon for Advance Auto which saves me a few dollars. I think I paid under $40 the last time I bought one.

This is my first diesel and It seems no more expensive to own then my last gasser. Maybe a few dollars but well worth it.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My gasser got 9 mpg towing. My CTD gets 11.5. On a 250 mile RT for camping at todays current prices of gas and diesel the gasser would cost 62.49 and the CTD would be 60.62. Reg 2.25, diesel 2.79.
A wash. Oil changes are $52.00 DIY for the CTD. $68.95 at local Ram dealer. Been a while since I've done a gasser but the last one required 7 qts, and with filter was IIRC around $35.00 DIY. So $30 more for oil changes. Fuel filter $62 once a year. That's it for my 12 CTD. I do 3 oil changes a year as opposed to two with my last gasser. So about roughly %150-200 more per year to maintain the CTD.
I just don't see $150-200 per year as being a deterrent when the overall towing experience is so much better. I live in Oregon and whether heading to the coast or the mtns I'm always going up and down hills/mtns. Lots of revving up and down constantly. With the CTD I down shift 1/3 the time. And cruising down the interstate I stay in 6th forever. As far as the higher intial cost of the diesel, I'm not buying into the "it'll never pay for it's self" stuff. Leather seats and running boards don't either. You get it back on trade in.

I don't like to use fuel costs because it varies both ways. Last year (2013) during peak camping time diesel was actually less than gas. This year it wasn't that way but it wasn't that much more for diesel either. And it could go the other way too with diesel being $1.00 or more than gas. So as a rule diesel will be more than gas but for me, it's when it matters most as to what the price difference is. I'm retired so my non camping driving is really limited. I usually go 3 weeks on a tank of diesel. So paying an extra $10-15.00 more a fill up won't break my bank.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My diesel duly 3500 has been cheaper to run than my gas 3500 duly for a couple reasons. 1. It's new, and I've got a zillion miles free service warranty, oil changes, tune ups, and anything else... for a long, long time.

Added DEF fluid myself a couple times, only because I finally figured the DEF was low when I purchased the truck. Last oil change, top off all fluids, rotate tires, wash, bath, vacuum, 100% systems check, everything ... cost zero!

Purchase new and you won't have to worry about those costs for a long-long time!

I don't care about resale value. I have no intention of ever selling this truck. If and when the time comes, who cares anyway. It serves me VERY well right now! That's the important thing. Get something that you NEED right now and forget about the future, resale, etc. It will drive you nuts. Get it, use it, enjoy it, and live life!

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned diesel pickups for over 20 years because I like the way they tow. They aren't economy cars, but maintenance isn't a big deal.
If your budget has room for a diesel, they are fun to drive, but so are the new breed of gasers.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

btd35
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Depends on the diesel.

I would argue that a Cummins diesel 2006 or older isn't any more expensive to maintain than a gas powered truck of the same era. Oil cost is double, but it goes 2x as far between changes. Oil filters are $20 and fuel filters are about the same ($15 - $20). They both need brakes and tires, belts etc, and the gasser need spark plugs and PCV valve that the diesel (2006 or older Cummins) doesn't.

I will agree that if a diesel breaks down (engine related), it can be very much more to repair than a comparable gas engine truck, and that the newest crop of diesels might be more expensive to maintain than the older ones, so they might be more than a new gasser -- but I'm not as familiar with them as I've never owned one.

I wouldn't let maintenance costs influence your buying as I think they are pretty close. Resale, initial cost, what you plan to use the truck for, and in what conditions would be better metrics to decide which one to buy IMO.

Completely agree. It also depends a lot on who's doing the maintenance. My Diesel costs the same to change the oil except for a little more oil, but the oil costs less.
Changing the fuel filter every other oil change is recommended, but they are not expensive. With the right fittings changing it isn't messy, but does require priming the system. The actual oil changing is way easier than my cars.
The MPG for the diesel is way higher than the gasser pulling or not. It's not struggling to do it either, and wearing the engine out. The MPG doesn't cover the difference in price of the fuel though.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.