cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions about replacing my high mile engine.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 suburban has 330,000 miles and I'm contemplating a fresh motor I'm in next year rather than buying a new truck. My question is, can I drop a 6.2 in and program that into my computer? I'm thinking of that or a performance motor. Another thought , I noticed that the newer direct injected 5.3 engines on eBay are selling for super cheap with low miles. Can I somehow make that newer engine work?? Has 50 more foot pounds. Also would like to stay within a budget doing this .
Thanks for any insight.
27 REPLIES 27

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Sport45 wrote:
Wild Bill 888 wrote:
My motor is still performing quite well, but oil pressure is low at idle.

Mark, switch to Mobil 1 15/50 and drive on till something serious breaks.

This is my advice too. Except I use SuperTech 15w40 from Walmart. (Not diesel 15w40, this stuff is made for gas engines)

X3 on keep on running it until it breaks.
6500 or 3500 are both sort of steep figures for preventative medicine.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Bill 888 wrote:
My motor is still performing quite well, but oil pressure is low at idle.

Mark, switch to Mobil 1 15/50 and drive on till something serious breaks.

This is my advice too. Except I use SuperTech 15w40 from Walmart. (Not diesel 15w40, this stuff is made for gas engines)
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
If compression and oil usage is OK, I'd put bearings and a timing set in it myself and run the heck out of it. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Wow sure glad I did not go the jasper route. Not good feedback on them. This is why I love this forum! Very helpful.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If youโ€™re on a tight enough budget that your considering replacing the engine in a vehicle with that high of miles then youโ€™re not spending your money wisely by dropping $6-7k into a vehicle thatโ€™s worth $6-7k, if that.
If it needs an engine, low mile 5.3s are plentiful and way less money.
If youโ€™re dead set on a new engine, that same $ along with the salvage value of your rig (now while it still runs) would be better spent on something with way less miles.
Unless youโ€™ve already literally replaced or rebuilt most every major component and are more certain than average of the remaining lifespan of the vehicle and what youโ€™ll need to do to keep it on the road.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip the JASPER LS reman, it is no good. I have been messing with LS based engines since they hit the F-body in 1998.(technically it hit the Corvette in 1997 but I didn't have one of those) I have had 6 different LS engines. 1 ran 10's the other 2 ran 11's and the other two were trucks.

Jasper is no good with them. I don't know why.

Find a low mileage one at the boneyard. There are thousands of them.

You don't need the D.I. engine. A lot more to swap over.

If you get an earlier one you have to have the reluctor ring on the crank swapped along with intake and various other items from your current engine.

2006 and up use the 58 tooth reluctor ring. It is an easy swap.

There are tons of ways to do it, you could even find a boneyard 6.0 as you have an 09. The 08 and up 6.0 will bolt up to your transmission. (Maybe 07 too, I can't remember off the top my head)

I am currently installing a 5.3 LS based truck motor in an 85 Malibu wagon just like my parents had when I was growing up. Hope to have it running by spring.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bird Freak wrote:
No way would I buy another Jasper engine. They used to be a good rebuild but the last 3 I bought thru my shop were junk and they would not stand behind their warranty.

I friend ran in to the same "no, we won't honor our warranty" issue with a new Jasper transmission he had installed in his Dodge dually.
He fought with them over and over on what was clearly a failure from their shoddy workmanship. The REFUSED to budge.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
No way would I buy another Jasper engine. They used to be a good rebuild but the last 3 I bought thru my shop were junk and they would not stand behind their warranty.
GM crate is the way to go.

X2
A friend of mine has a garage. And jasper dealer. Do the crate engine and tranny and drive on

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up on the jasper experience

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM crate is the way to go.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take a GM OEM with 100k from a recycler before I'd take a Jasper. If I was going to marry the truck, I'd get a GM crate engine.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd sell it well it's still running and buy one with much fewer miles.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
if your changing the motor cause its getting tired? you better do the tranny at the same time. just think for about $10k you can have a like new truck.you just saved $50k.

For $10K you can have a new drivetrain. Not quite the same as a new truck.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your changing the motor cause its getting tired? you better do the tranny at the same time. just think for about $10k you can have a like new truck.you just saved $50k.