cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick overnight

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
Just for a quick overnight sleep, can we use rest areas where truckers park, no slide out just climb in the bedroom and sleep. We are in Forest River Evo, T2460RL. Going north on I-5 near Buttonwillow.
Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine
31 REPLIES 31

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
answer ,yews but theres better places,,wal mart,,cracker barrel ,,church lot.. church lots are great.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Since I'm a light sleeper and want A/C I use Passport America for a quick overnight. I do have a built in generator that I could use but that negates any savings.

I also use boondocking if I find a nice quiet area. Just depends on the situation.

Truck stops and rest area's would be a last resort for me.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Not to irritate the truck drivers among us, but some have told me they consider most overnight parking to be "theirs", A big part of their job and lifestyle depends on free parking. Not so much for RVers.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We do it all the time. Since we stop fairly early, 5-6PM, we usually don't have a problem getting a spot and we usually leave at 3-5AM. Never had a problem sleeping, even with trucks running or moving in and out.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
yes, we do it regularly. but be prepared for the trucks to come and go most of the night. if that will bother you, look elsewhere.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Our first experience trying this was a disaster. Every truck stop, rest area, on ramp, off ramp, was completely full of truckers. Couldn’t even stop to use bathrooms if you’re in RV. Maybe if you’re early enough you can find a spot, but is not guaranteed, and who wants to stop that early anyway? We managed to find a spot hidden from view between two large trucks in a Flying J eventually. As mentioned, it was very noisy but we managed to sleep a few hours. We had traveled through Atlanta, middle of the night so maybe it was busy area.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
depends on the state. some limit hours, others say no overnights.
The DC snipers were caught sleeping at a rest stop on I-70.
bumpy

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done that several times when traveling between destinations. We use ear plugs and can barely hear the trucks. We sleep just fine.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
According to my wife, my snoring would run the truckers off.not sure if that's true!!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Having a reefer driver in the family, would you believe that they can't sleep with the reefer off?
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Heck when I sleep I couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant :B
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did it with the generator running and the AC on to creature some white noise when we rented a class C, with my trailer I've only done the RV side of a Flying J which has worked well a few times when driving to Florida (nobody wants me rolling into a campground at 1am).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
b&rharmon wrote:
Just for a quick overnight sleep, can we use rest areas where truckers park, no slide out just climb in the bedroom and sleep. We are in Forest River Evo, T2460RL. Going north on I-5 near Buttonwillow.

The answer is yes, it is legal to stay for 8 hours.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I see some people trying to sleep at the Buttonwillow Rest Area.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Worst night sleep I ever had.
The 'quick' part may be how quickly you can get out of there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman