cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quick overnight

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
Just for a quick overnight sleep, can we use rest areas where truckers park, no slide out just climb in the bedroom and sleep. We are in Forest River Evo, T2460RL. Going north on I-5 near Buttonwillow.
Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine
31 REPLIES 31

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I always use Walmart when on road. Usually try and find one that is a quick stop off the interstate. This works well crossing the Midwest in states that have less population. On the crowded east coast there is sometimes more urban traffic to get in and out of the Walmart. Usually the Walmart Mgr only ask that you not put the jacks down so as not to dent the blacktop. Their lots are quiet with just a few 18 wheelers and RVs and the night is usually peaceful unlike a rest area or truck stop where the big rigs are always idling throughout the night.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lately I have been doing some quick trips near home in the off season. I go to campgrounds that are full in summer, but empty in Nov or Mar. Nothing like a good fire, my dog and a couple of owls for company less than 30 minutes from home. For a really quick trip I just sleep in the backyard next to one million acres of BLM land.

I would not sleep in a parking lot if you paid me except in an emergency.

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
librty02 wrote:
Heck when I sleep I couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant :B

What's that sound? You hear it? It's a funny squeaky sound. ๐Ÿ™‚

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
No the "OP" isn't gone, and I appreciate the input. This was our "maiden voyage" with our new trailer, the wife insisted we stay in a motel, what a waste of money but happy wife .... BTW we did make a quick overnite on the way back from Monterey where we spent 4 nights in a RV camp in Carmel Valley. We stayed overnight at Refugio Beach. Didn't unhook and slept with slide room in so we could get up and go early. Was kind of a rehearsal for next time we need a quick stop for sleep.

Again, thank you for your responses, another question will be coming.

Bill
Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vw triker wrote:
According to my wife, my snoring would run the truckers off.not sure if that's true!!

:B

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
CA is fine with sleeping overnight at rest stops, but no camping. I'm sure you can figure out the difference.

Also, enforcement of silly rules at CA rest stops is lax at best. If you park and climb in the back, you'll not be bothered, other than by noise.

I've spent many quick nights in our rest stops. When possible, I pull away from the parking close to the rest area. Sometimes even parking along the apron of the exit driveway. Overflow parking tends to go there anyway. Never has been an issue, and of course is quieter.

Buttonwillow is a large rest area (has sites on both sides of the interstate). Choose where you park wisely and I don't think noise will be much of an issue. Depending on how soundly you sleep of course.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
librty02 wrote:
Heck when I sleep I couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant :B

Best answer yet

๐Ÿ™‚ This site needs better emoji's

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP is gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Rest stops and truck stops are my least preferred for sleep. Mostly the noise and my own self-imposed feeling that I was "taking a spot" from a trucker (he's working, I'm recreating).

I prefer hitting a Walmart. We've done quite a few and never had an issue. Plus, I can put my slides out and actually get to things in my camper.

https://learntorv.com/wallydocking/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
b&rharmon wrote:
...can we use rest areas where truckers park...

I've done it. Worst night sleep I ever had. Lots of noise. The noisiest? A refridgeration unit running on a big truck.

As a kid I once slept in a tent trailer next to a refer. While it took a bit to sleep, once out I was out all night.

Itโ€™s actually an advantage as is masks all of the intermittent noise that would normally wake you. Your brain has an amazing ability to filter constant repetitive noise.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Been to that rest area many times over the years and seen RV in the truck spots so I would say yes. But you could also probably also pull off on one of the many little exits in that area that look like there isn't a house for miles and just pull to the side of the road.

If you do stop at a rest area and your rig is short then park with the back of the trailer even with the back of the trucks. It's just a courtesy. But imagine the tired truck driver who comes in behind you and thinks your spot is open only to see it blocked by you after he has started the turn.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
slept lot of places back an forth to arizona for twenty years .one time cop knocked on the door, just checking to see if we were ok. thanked him ,went back to sleep.even had supper at a church one evening, they plugged me into a 120v plug.for the night.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
Having a reefer driver in the family, would you believe that they can't sleep with the reefer off?

I pulled a reefer most of the last half of the '70s. Back then, that thing shut off, instant wake-up.
This century I got sucked into pulling them a couple of times. None of them, or any I have parked around idled at all.
The issue I have is I do not want trucks pulling into campgrounds for the night.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
answer ,yews but theres better places,,wal mart,,cracker barrel ,,church lot.. church lots are great.

We stayed overnight in a Forest Service parking lot and slept lightly waiting for a knock on the door. No one ever bothered us.
There is something special about camping in an RV.