cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Death Wobble" updated, fixed

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard about it but never experienced it until recently.

We have a 2017 F250 4wd at work with around 26,000 miles on it, gas engine. At any speed above about 45MPH the steering wheel will start to shake, some times pretty bad. It takes a bump, like an expansion joint on a bridge, to get it started, sometimes it will be a little wobble in the steering wheel that goes away, other times it gets bad enough that it is hard to control the truck until you get it slowed down to under 35MPH.

We had it into the dealer who told us that a fix had just been figured out and that we were waiting on parts and sent us on our way. The service adviser said that he hoped a recall would be coming but he wasn't holding his breath.

I was just wondering if any of you had experienced this and what you did to fix it? Right now the truck is stuck to city streets with no highway driving which really adds to the drive time when you have to go across town.

We have four F250s in our fleet ranging from a 2005 with the 6.0l Powerstroke, an 08 with the Triton 5.4l, and two 2017s with the 6.2l gas, this one truck is the only one with this problem. Funny the other three are used as plow trucks in the winter, this one just sits.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado
45 REPLIES 45

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
GWolfe wrote:
OP here, well it's fixed, so far so good. Looks like all they did was put a steering stabilizer on it, I'll get a pic today. I wasn't the one who picked it up and no paper work came with it which I thought was a little weird maybe Ford does things different when it's under warranty.

No, you should have gotten paperwork with it

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Me Again wrote:
Shortly after buying our new 2001.5 RAM in June of 2001, I cracked in more caster myself. Sold it 14 years later and 100K+ miles. I installed a 3rd gen track bar early on, and put on a steering box brace. Everything else was original and I never had a DW event. The drivers side OEM track bar end was an issue on 2nd gen RAMs. Chris

Knocking on wood, I'm at 175k on our 3rd Gen, on all original steering components, even the purportedly maligned "Y steering" linkage. I have replaced shocks and steering stabilizer (about 140k miles ago) and added a steering box brace (100k miles ago) and she drives straight as an arrow, doesn't eat up tires at all, doesn't wander and not a hint of the dw. I keep thinking it might be time to rebuild the front end and then realize it's not and I'm lucky! lol

I do have toe set a about dead 0 and caster in the high 4s.

There are 3 different root causes of dw that I see. 1 is worn/broken components/tires. 2 is bad steering geometry, either through mis adjustment or lift kits etc. 3 is very few alignment "techs" actually understand steering geometry and know how to adjust anything other than what the machine tells them to.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GWolfe wrote:
OP here, well it's fixed, so far so good. Looks like all they did was put a steering stabilizer on it, I'll get a pic today. I wasn't the one who picked it up and no paper work came with it which I thought was a little weird maybe Ford does things different when it's under warranty.

Thanks for circling back and closing the loop on your thread.

However, it is extremely unlikely that the original steering stabilizer (going bad, was it leaking?) is the cause, so beware and realize that there is a greater than average chance that something else is amiss. A steering stabilizer's function isn't to mask or prevent another issue. It is primarily to dampen/control bump steer.
Hope it fixes the issue though.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shortly after buying our new 2001.5 RAM in June of 2001, I cracked in more caster myself. Sold it 14 years later and 100K+ miles. I installed a 3rd gen track bar early on, and put on a steering box brace. Everything else was original and I never had a DW event. The drivers side OEM track bar end was an issue on 2nd gen RAMs. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had DW on my Chevy 84 K-30 SRW 4X4. Hit a bump at 45 mph and it would shake violently. Cant remember either what I did to fix it, dual front stablizers was a part of it I remember that, but it was brutal.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My 1949 ford pickup had a DW but I fixed it. Can't remember what I did. that was 60 years ago.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
So what brand has the most Death Wobble?

chevman

You're safe, Chevman; it's definitely not GM! 😉
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Hate getting the dw on a grocery cart! I tried explaining to the head cart guy (you know, the one pushing the stack of carts back into the store) that he really needs to look at the caster and the ball joints and what kinda rubber is on those front wheels, because death wobble is a serious thing.
Stopped me dead in my tracks once in the store in a very awkward spot, right by the feminine products......coulda been bad if I didn't get that cart back under control!

:B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
topped me dead in my tracks once in the store in a very awkward spot, right by the feminine products......coulda been bad if I didn't get that cart back under control!

Uh huh 😉
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hate getting the dw on a grocery cart! I tried explaining to the head cart guy (you know, the one pushing the stack of carts back into the store) that he really needs to look at the caster and the ball joints and what kinda rubber is on those front wheels, because death wobble is a serious thing.
Stopped me dead in my tracks once in the store in a very awkward spot, right by the feminine products......coulda been bad if I didn't get that cart back under control!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:

chevman

OK Alliance, World’s Largest Shopping Cart Maker

https://www.okalliance.com/2010/12/worlds-largest-shopping-cart-maker/

About half of the shopping carts at my local supermarket has this death wobble... :B

I will take that over one that pulls to the left or right!! :E :E :E
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:

chevman

OK Alliance, World’s Largest Shopping Cart Maker

https://www.okalliance.com/2010/12/worlds-largest-shopping-cart-maker/

About half of the shopping carts at my local supermarket has this death wobble... :B
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:

chevman

International Travelall.

LOL :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.