cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 1500 at Load Maximum Woes

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone knows that the Ram 1500 has very low GVWR. Well I would go a step further after towing with it for four years, when close to the maximum, it is under-sprung and sometimes dangerous.

I did end up adding air bags, but simply wanted a more stable platform, and I am NOT buying a 3/4 or 1 ton that rides rough when empty. I should also say that I have no intentions to exceed the maximum allowed by Ram.... I just want more firmness and stability.

So...... I added HD Progressive Springs and the Air Lift 1000HD.

Here is what our rig normally looks like when leaving for a camping trip.

Here are the pics of what I did.......

The pic of the truck is a little dark and hard to see, but the Billstein's up front raise the truck 1.8" and the TTC-1223VT Springs raise the rear 2". Those are 34's on those 20" rims.

Can't wait to hit the road on our next camping trip. Since I have added the necessary bits and pieces to our camper to make it "Four Seasons", we will take it up to the mountains a couple of times in February and March, as a base camp for a long weekend of skiing.

Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8
49 REPLIES 49

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
God Bless ya dawg! Your selfless acts of valor and speaking truth against internet doctorates have save thousands of families and their victims from flaming RV's flying off of cliffs into bus loads of blind nuns

Bless you!
FIFY๐Ÿ˜‰

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
God Bless ya dawg! Your selfless acts of valor and speaking truth against internet doctorates have saved thousands of families and their victims from flaming RV's flying off of cliffs into bus loads of blind nuns

Bless you!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Bit thereโ€™s no bad info, no magical light duty $.50 seal that makes the truck lighter duty.
None of that (within reason).
But thatโ€™s the difference between those that understand and those that refuse to understand.
Itโ€™s a proliferation of paranoia or something on this forum.
Heck the new thread about the guy going to trade up his F150 to 3/4ton diesel to pull his 8k TT around, almost immediately get like 3 different posts about โ€œcheck the payload on the new truckโ€, โ€œyou should get a 3500 so youโ€™re not overloadedโ€, etc. And all he was doing was asking if there were any things in particular to look out for with that model of truck. Like reliability stuff. It was already a given that the new truck is more than capable and frankly 1 size larger than necessary.

Given โ€œmostโ€ members here are at least old enough to sign up for AARP, at what point in your lives did all of a sudden, newer, more capable trucks become less capable in your minds?
Was it the advent of the internet or some other phenomena?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Some of y'all cant just say "Looks nice, have a good day" and move on, can ya?

My main question is are you this overtly critical in the real world, day to day, face to face, or is it just the internet courage that makes your inner antagonist come out?
Yes. It is because I deal in facts.... Not the way I would prefer they be. The way they are.

And having been here a really long time, I know that letting some bad info go unchallenged will result in some newbie reading it and making a mistake. I of course realize that their are different opinions on everything.... But being quiet, or worse saying "Looks good have a nice day" is not the answer.
At least when something is challenged, then the newbie may do some more research before making up his/her mind.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

My main question is are you this overtly critical in the real world, day to day, face to face, or is it just the internet courage that makes your inner antagonist come out?

Don't know if it was all that BRIGHT BLUE, that got your panties in a wad. I can't look at it long enough to read much of it. Makes my cataracts throb!

Jerry

Nothin's in a wad (how d0 you know I wear my wife's underwear though?...).
It's just discouraging to see the same drivel every day. Doesn't matter to a poster like the OP here, because he has a head on his shoulders and obviously understands what he's doing, but the mass proliferation of towing and payload paranoia makes me think some of these folks are sponsored by the UAW, to help keep them in business by getting people to upgrade their vehicles unnecessarily and often!

Just trying to keep it real for the folks who are actually looking for knowledge and not some party line cr@p from people who are exspurts because they bought a camper trailer!

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Curious how folks know the OP is not over/under his TVโ€™s ratings...

Because dirt bikes aren't made of foam ๐Ÿ™‚

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:

Don't know if it was all that BRIGHT BLUE, that got your panties in a wad. I can't look at it long enough to read much of it. Makes my cataracts throb!

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And the OP isn't "cutting anything close" on the truck with that dinky @ss camper.
I'm more amazed everyday, although should expect it here, that someone would try to overanalyze the OP's winter prep scheme (especially with the OP clearly exuding his knowledge and skills, not some "what can I tow" newby question), not only from a winter prep standpoint, but to then wrap it back into a weight discussion!

My buddy, thanks to his, umm, princess wife, ended up with a little baby Airstream and he's been relegated to their only personal vehicle being a Volvo wanna be SUV (poor guy, different story).
Similar size and weight to the OP's camper.
I've rode with him. Camper plopped on a hitch on the back of the Volvo, no wdh, and down the road they go. Handles well, stops fine with the remote add on cellphone trailer brakes. Heck, it doesn't even sag too much. It might all loaded up with everything but the kitchen sink for the princess and the kids though.
Point is, it's half the tow rig that a newer Ram 1500 is and it's JUST FINE.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's been over 12 hours so I will ask again, what load range are your tires.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
jnoflane2 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Specifications for the OPs TT

I am not a hater.
I do like to deal with facts though.

I am going to get some popcorn now.:B

Yep... as I said, 450lbs on my hitch.

I actually pay attention to load leveling, especially with a single axle trailer.

437# DRY hitch WT. Add a battery and you are over 450#.

There are only two ways that TT can have 450# hitch WT. 1. You are going camping with an empty TT.
2. You have it loaded heavy in the rear..... Which would explain why you feel it is sometimes dangerous. (TW too light)
Since the OP seems to have left..... I will finish what I was going to say to benefit others that may not realize just what is involved in towing/camping with a TT.

The OP atated that he has added heat pads to all three tanks....In order to make it a "true 4 season" TT.... Having actually camped in pretty cold temps (below zero), I can tell you that heat pads alone will not do that... In fact the tanks freezing are not the main concern. The water lines will freeze much sooner.... It does no good to have fresh water in the tank, if you cannot use it! Then there is the small single 5 gallon propane supply. Using the furnace in below freezing temps will use that up fast.... But he likely won't be able to use all of it, as the battery will die first! Camping in a TT in cold temps off the grid requires a large propane supply, and a generator to keep the battery charged.
That means more weight.
And since the OP has stated a desire to use this TT in cold temps, and installed the heat pads to try to make it possible....It is logical to assume that he intends to use the on board water system.That means that the water (and it's weight) will be leaving the fresh tank and ending up in the grey/black tanks.
While I do not know exactly how the OPs tanks are layed out... The toilet is in the front. So that is where the black tank is. The kitchen sink is right behind it, so it is a pretty good bet that is where the grey tank is. That means the fresh is probably located towards the rear. His fresh water weighs 256#. When he uses it, that weight will leave the rear of the TT and end up in the front.
This is obviously a problem. In addition many other weights will move around in the course of a trip.

This is why "cutting it close" with the TV is generally a bad thing.
While there are ways to deal with all of the issues, it will limit ones ability to use the unit in a way they may like.

Solutions can be only staying in campgrounds or having items such as propane or even food delivered (door dash)
Not using the onboard water system etc.

In addition the OP stated several times that his truck has a low GVWR. He is assuming that the springs are the limiting factor. This can be an expensive assumption.
There are many parts that go into what the engineers set the GVWR at. They will never disclose just what the weak link is.
It could be a seal in the tranny that is .50 cheaper than the same tranny in a heavier duty truck.... You just don't know.

But in the final anaylisis the OP never stated that he has actually weighed his lashup.
When one is "cutting it close", this is really important.
But it is human nature to avoid things that you would have to deal with if you know about them.

So many will simply not look at these issues and hope it all works out OK.
Some will be lucky. Perhaps they don't camp very much and trade vehicles often... But some will not be lucky.

Happy camping.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
never mind

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
Try Postimages.com It will resize them for you.
You don't have to resize them. Just add a height or width parameter as Burbman did:

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
What load range are your tires?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD