cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 1500 hem with 8 speed

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
just replaced our tt with a bigger one, kz 260 factory wt 4400) and pulled it home about 50 km, also first tow with the new ram 1500
previous truck was a Dakota v6 with 24 ft tt with 7 inch brakes

awesome combination now, with tow/haul on the hemi goes to 3500 rpm with moderate gas pedal, accelerates almost as it does when not towing and with a very authorative exhaust noise

braking equally impressive, got the factory brake controller, trailer brakes come on very slightly after the truck, you can definetly feel them come on. big difference in trailer brakes, 7 inch to 10 (ithink their 10 inch) with finned drums

the new ram makes towing a long distance something to look forward to instead of dreading it
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
3 REPLIES 3

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
:C:C:C
The Hemi sounds good spinning a little doesn't it. (I have one in our car)

The 5.7 Hemi is a really good engine. It's been around now for about 15 years and has proved to be a very durable engine. I still have my 2005 Dodge 1500 with 105k miles on it and the engine doesn't burn a drop of oil and it just as powerful as the day I bought it new. And yes, it still sounds good when you put the right foot down! :).
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

it sure does, we'll be rolling down the windows on the first long steep hill this summer!!

I did also notice that in tow/haul mode, the tranny shifts down when slowing, much much earlier, I guess to provide some engine braking, hardly needed with maybe 5000 lb on the back
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad