cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 3500 rear Air Suspension Capacity

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to post this in the tow Vehicle forum but for me it is related to truck camper loads. Does anyone know if the Ram 3500 equipped with the same options has the same payload, camper load, and GVWR with either the standard rear spring suspension or the optional rear factory Air bag assist system? I am going to be ordering a new truck in the fall and would like the self leveling air system on the 3500 but can not find out if the numbers are the same for either of the suspensions and of course I want to order the max load numbers that I can in the configuration I want. The Ram website used to show the GVWR at 14000, camper payload at 5980 and a payload of I think 6900 in a crew cab DRW gas but never made any statement about the optional rear suspension. I have not been to the dealer yet this time around but went through the motions last fall but did not buy at that time but the dealers I shopped did not know much about the capacities ,got most of the numbers from the 2017 ram camper guide and the website payload numbers. thanks for any help
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's
31 REPLIES 31

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if the Ram 3500 equipped with the same options has the same payload, camper load, and GVWR with either the standard rear spring suspension or the optional rear factory Air bag assist system?

All 3500 DRW Rams have a 9750 RAWR with the bag assist or without. RAWR is on the drivers side door post.
Truck makers isn't about to add a rear suspension option with any thing less than its door tag RAWR.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Basswest1
Explorer
Explorer
Just figured I would give my two cents on this subject as I have a 2018 3500 DRW with the factory air suspension. As mentioned, this is an air assist package that on the 3500 is in addition to a 1-ton spring package.

I actually bought this truck, and then saw this thread and others where many people were reporting bad performance with a truck camper.

I had already bought a Lance 975, which is close to 4k pounds wet weight, and though I heard some poor reports about the Ram air suspension, I only have good things to say about it. It handles the camper surprisingly well, and everything is automatic when it comes to the air pressure.

Ive already put over 6k miles on the truck camper and truck and cant say I have any reservations about getting another truck with the same suspension.

However, this system does seem to have a limitation as far as the aftermarket products available that are compatible, but I think companies like Hellwig are quickly filling that void with products that will work with it.

Just wanted to hop on here and give my experience with this system.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
I have a 2017 Ram 3500 with factory air suspension. Typing this from Skagway Alaska.

The airbags are part of the suspension in conjunction with a smaller spring pack than you would get on the std 3500 without the option.

The air bags are partially adjustable in that there are 2 settings. "Normal" and "Alt trailer height" Trailer ht lowers the suspension about 1-1/2" This could be valuable for someone towing a 5th wheel to help level the trailer. I use the lower setting because it places some of the load on the springs which helps with sway. Otherwise the camper rides mainly on the airbags even with a very heavy TC. The airbags are not independently adjustable so if your load is off balance sided to side you would have to make the adjustment by adding thicker spring bumper stops.

I'm not sure what that max weight you can run but the air bags seem to pickup whatever weight I place on them. The system has worked great for us carrying up to about 6,000 pounds. The truck rides lever in "alt trailer ht" and slightly higher in the back with std mode.

We have been VERY happy with the new truck and factory air suspension. We added tork lifts and side step bars. Everything fits and works well. Other than that truck is bone stock. Definite improvement over our 2004 ram dually with added sway bar, rancho shocks, firestone bags.

Our new truck has 8,000 miles on it since we bought in April most of the miles in Alaska and hundreds of miles on dirt roads, many in poor shape. Truck has been a champ in every way.

work2much
do you feel that having the camper weight almost all on the air bags that sway is a issue you mentioned you use the lower ride height to get some weight onto the springs just interested in how the bags handle the weight as far as ride and control other than being able to lift the weight too a level ride height . there are no sway or stabilizer bars available for the air assist system so how much sway do you get with the camper load? I have sumo springs and bigwig bar on the current truck I am over my gvwr but sway is not to much of an issues .
Thanks
18 Host Mammoth

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Devocamper wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
work2much wrote:
I have a 2017 Ram 3500 with factory air suspension. Typing this from Skagway Alaska.

The airbags are part of the suspension in conjunction with a smaller spring pack than you would get on the std 3500 without the option.

The air bags are partially adjustable in that there are 2 settings. "Normal" and "Alt trailer height" Trailer ht lowers the suspension about 1-1/2" This could be valuable for someone towing a 5th wheel to help level the trailer. I use the lower setting because it places some of the load on the springs which helps with sway. Otherwise the camper rides mainly on the airbags even with a very heavy TC. The airbags are not independently adjustable so if your load is off balance sided to side you would have to make the adjustment by adding thicker spring bumper stops.

I'm not sure what that max weight you can run but the air bags seem to pickup whatever weight I place on them. The system has worked great for us carrying up to about 6,000 pounds. The truck rides lever in "alt trailer ht" and slightly higher in the back with std mode.

We have been VERY happy with the new truck and factory air suspension. We added tork lifts and side step bars. Everything fits and works well. Other than that truck is bone stock. Definite improvement over our 2004 ram dually with added sway bar, rancho shocks, firestone bags.

Our new truck has 8,000 miles on it since we bought in April most of the miles in Alaska and hundreds of miles on dirt roads, many in poor shape. Truck has been a champ in every way.

^^^^thank you great info.

TxGearhead do you feel that having the camper weight almost all on the air bags that sway is a issue you mentioned you use the lower ride height to get some weight onto the springs just interested in how the bags handle the weight as far as ride and control other than being able to lift the weight too level height . there are no sway or stabilizer bars available for the air assist system so how much sway do you get with the camper load? I have sumo springs and bigwig bar on the current truck I am over my gvwr but sway is not to much of an issues .
Thanks
Mike

Mike....I don't have the air suspension, it's "work2much".
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I love the factory air ride on my Ram. I have zero issues even at 70MPH. I am over my GVW but under stock tires and axles. You have a choice of 2 ride heights. Normal puts the rear a little high and the 2nd is alt height. This puts the truck level. When I load the TC or fiver it settles and then it kicks in and brings it to level. Super easy. There is a switch to go back and forth from normal and alt height.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like RAM could improve this system by mounting the air bags further outboard than they do. With self leveling bags, basically any weight you add to the bed is picked up by the airbags, and being inboard this decreases roll resistance (sway) with increasing load. This is particularly true for high CG loads like a camper.

I did a complete air ride system (no springs at all) on my Ford, the design of the system places the airbags as close to the tire as possible just as is done with leaf springs. It has less roll and sway than it did with the springs because (I assume) the airbags are strongly progressive and the leaf springs only nominally so.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
work2much wrote:

TxGearhead do you feel that having the camper weight almost all on the air bags that sway is a issue you mentioned you use the lower ride height to get some weight onto the springs just interested in how the bags handle the weight as far as ride and control other than being able to lift the weight too level height . there are no sway or stabilizer bars available for the air assist system so how much sway do you get with the camper load? I have sumo springs and bigwig bar on the current truck I am over my gvwr but sway is not to much of an issues .
Thanks
Mike
18 Host Mammoth

Bedlam
I think forum member zb39 has a Ram 3500 DRW with air ride under his Host Mammoth.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
I'm betting on you being correct!
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150
2009 Trails West Warm Blood Trailer

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Nautique200 wrote:
I am considering ordering another Ram with the Air Suspension. In the manual it states:
Protection Strategy
In order to “protect” the air suspension system, the vehicle will disable load leveling as required (suspension over- loaded, battery charge low, etc.). Load leveling will auto- matically resume as soon as system operation requirements are met. See your authorized dealer if system does not resume.

I'm likely going to go with the air suspension anyways and hope that when I overload the truck past 14K it will take it.

You will be fine. We are 1,000 over GVWR (note the manual doesn't state GVWR but suspension overloaded). I read that if there is too much weight the truck won't inflate the airbags making it obvious that you have loaded too far.

We are under axle and tires. I think this is more just boiler plate language for the guy why tries to load 4 pallets of concrete. In any case been there and doing that for thousands of miles on rough roads. No issues. Ordering a host mammoth in a month or so.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering ordering another Ram with the Air Suspension. In the manual it states:
Protection Strategy
In order to “protect” the air suspension system, the vehicle will disable load leveling as required (suspension over- loaded, battery charge low, etc.). Load leveling will auto- matically resume as soon as system operation requirements are met. See your authorized dealer if system does not resume.

I'm likely going to go with the air suspension anyways and hope that when I overload the truck past 14K it will take it.
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150
2009 Trails West Warm Blood Trailer

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Devocamper wrote:
work2much wrote:
I have learned that the Ram factory air assist system has a overload safety built into the system so if you exceed your GVWR it shuts down the air system

May I ask where you learned this? The pressure in the airbags is going to increase substantially as you go down the road hitting potholes or dips in the road. Talking with other Ram owners that use this Air system with heavy TC's I have never heard this before. I think someone talking out of their keister.

We are over the trucks GVWR (but under tires and axles) and nothing has shut down.

I have read it on several forums and I think someone quoted it from the owners manual but you never know with this sort of information I can't find it now but maybe someone that has the air system can clarify this and see if it is in fact true ?

I have the air system. It works fine while over the GVWR.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
I have learned that the Ram factory air assist system has a overload safety built into the system so if you exceed your GVWR it shuts down the air system

May I ask where you learned this? The pressure in the airbags is going to increase substantially as you go down the road hitting potholes or dips in the road. Talking with other Ram owners that use this Air system with heavy TC's I have never heard this before. I think someone talking out of their keister.

We are over the trucks GVWR (but under tires and axles) and nothing has shut down.

I have read it on several forums and I think someone quoted it from the owners manual but you never know with this sort of information I can't find it now but maybe someone that has the air system can clarify this and see if it is in fact true ?
18 Host Mammoth