Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 5500 with Flatbed and Torklift Super Hitch question

1Sludge1
Explorer
Explorer
First some background:

I have a 2022 Ram 5500 60" ca chassis cab that I am trying to set up with a flatbed and Torklift Super Hitch. Unfortunately, it has been a bit of a struggle to get this done.

The first challenge was finding a flatbed that didn't already have a hitch built into the bed while also having a short enough rear skirt so that it would not interfere with the Torklift Super Hitch. I want the Torklift Super Hitch so that I can run a hitch extension and pull a boat and trailer with a camper on the flatbed.

I found a flatbed that I like that looks like it will work with the Super Hitch, but unfortunately, the upfitter says they will not install the Super Hitch. They have issues with using the same truck chassis bolt holes for their flatbed shear plates that the Super Hitch also uses. So they will install the flatbed, but I will have to install the Super Hitch afterwards.

The second challenge has been with the actual install of the Super Hitch. The flatbed upfitters use larger bolts for their shear plate mounts versus what Torklift uses, so I have to have the Super Hitch side plate holes enlarged. Also, the Super Hitch side plate has a mounting hole that doesn't line up with the truck chassis hole, so I will have to have the side plate modified for that.

I know this has been done by others out there, but I haven't been able to talk to anyone that has done this to see what their experience has been.

So finally my question. If you have done something similar with a flatbed and Super Hitch, can you post what truck and flatbed you have and who your upfitter was? If you have any details to add or pictures of how your flatbed and Super Hitch were mounted, it would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

1Sludge1
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and roll my eyes at your "upfitter".
They won't install the hitch because they can't figure our a work around.? Offense intended, that's the job of an "upfitter", to make it all work.

Installing a flatbed is not rocket science and doesn't fall under the heading of engineering genius needed.

As Bedlam noted, very common for some fab work needed to get a Superhitch installed. Trading or sharing a bolt hole just isn't a game stopper.

I'd find another fab shop.

To be fair to the upfitter, it's not about being able to do it. They can do it. They just aren't willing to do it from a liability reason.

As much as I may not like that, in today's world of lawyers and lawsuits, I can understand that.

Modifying and installing a hitch that is rated to tow up to 30,000 lbs has some risk to it that they just don't want to deal with. It sucks for me, but I can't blame them.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
1Sludge1 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
On the Facebook group for Host owners, there was someone that made custom vertical plates for the SuperHitch and cut out the the receiver from their CM flat bed. Fit for the new Ram's does take some additional drilling into existing Torklift plates since they do not have an updated product.

I had considered doing something similar with a CM bed, but I wasn't able to find an upfitter that had done this before, and none of them were willing to attempt it. I talked to at least a half dozen different upfitters that sold CM beds about this. I could have ordered a CM bed without the hitch, but it was a nine month wait.

Wow.. Sad, but maybe has something to do with CM's requirements for their installers.

Option, have the bed installed and just find a fab shop that will install the hitch afterword. There are a lot of private shops that do great work in this world.

I have made many beds in the past, purchased many utility beds, but don't know anything about their product.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

1Sludge1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
On the Facebook group for Host owners, there was someone that made custom vertical plates for the SuperHitch and cut out the the receiver from their CM flat bed. Fit for the new Ram's does take some additional drilling into existing Torklift plates since they do not have an updated product.

I had considered doing something similar with a CM bed, but I wasn't able to find an upfitter that had done this before, and none of them were willing to attempt it. I talked to at least a half dozen different upfitters that sold CM beds about this. I could have ordered a CM bed without the hitch, but it was a nine month wait.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and roll my eyes at your "upfitter".
They won't install the hitch because they can't figure our a work around.? Offense intended, that's the job of an "upfitter", to make it all work.

Installing a flatbed is not rocket science and doesn't fall under the heading of engineering genius needed.

As Bedlam noted, very common for some fab work needed to get a Superhitch installed. Trading or sharing a bolt hole just isn't a game stopper.

I'd find another fab shop.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Larger viewview
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
This might be of no help to you because I have a utility body. This is a 60" CA 2015 Ram 5500 with a 9' body.

You might be restricted to an " off the shelf" flat bed that is already set up with mounting brackets. PM me if you think I can provide other pictures and I'll send them to your email. I sent the hitch to the builder and also discussed the step bumper so it could all be considered during pre-fab.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body