cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram Cummins Malfunction Light - Needed new batteries

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know there was a check engine light for old batteries.

The batteries in my 2007 Ram (6.7 liter) were original. I started to get an intermittent malfunction light. The Error code was for low voltage. I replaced the batteries and everything is fine.

I learn something new everyday.
7 REPLIES 7

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
My '04 CTD threw a code after the battery went dead and I had to get a jump start.Once the battery was charged up the code went away.
No need to go into what caused the battery to go dead.:)
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Bedlam
My batteries also lasted seven years before I replaced them. It seems to be the average life of diesel starting batteries that sit under the hood with that engine heat.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The code will be stored but not active for a number of starts, around 100~150 IIRC. After the tlight goes out it will pass any emissions test.

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 - I agree that it was sort of a coincidence. I was going to replace the batteries anyway. I figured I was on borrowed time.

Would you happen to know if the error codes in memory ever go away? I am thinking that maybe they do not. I still had an old Emissions error code in memory from a previously fixed problem. I was told that after "X" number of starts, with no problems detected, that any old error codes are erased. But I'm not too sure that's really the case.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a similar situation with our 05, since the batteries were replaced (one was pooched)the light has not come on.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
If the CAN bus senses a low voltage condition for a specified period of time it can trigger this fault. It's not really intended to be used as a battery diagnostic, but bad batteries can cause it to set....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
You were lucky to go that long on the batteries. I think that is what you learned. Learning is good.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110