Did you mean:ย 

Ram quality & company and dealer response

jccjr500
Explorer
Explorer
This is a letter that I sent to Ram

Ram problems

Dealer: Covert Chrysler Austin, TX
First, I purchase this vehicle to pull a 23,000 lb 5th wheel, and reviewing the specs, it showed that this truck would be capable of towing this unit. Each year I take my trailer to Colorado as well as other places and I expected to be able to go and return safely.
These are following things that happened
1. Transmission computer board went out. Could not drive vehicle. The truck had to be towed into Covert Chrysler. Fortunately I was near home, but I could have just as easily been on a trip and broken down in an area where there was no cell service. What would I have done then? It took Covert 3 to 4 weeks to fix this issue.
2. On last trip, pulling my trailer, at 21000 miles my two front tire treads separated from belt. Fortunately, after feeling the front end vibrate and dropping my trailer for some maintaince I took my truck to tire shop to have wheels balanced. That is when I was informed the treads had separated. Had to buy new tires. What would have happened if I had had a blowout and wrecked and either kill one of the members of my family or someone else. Know you did not make tires, but you did pick the tires to put on truck. Also I had previously taken truck over commercial scales to make sure I had not exceeded weight limits. On trip home had a rear tire where part of tread completely separated from belt. This was about at 22000 miles. Knowing I could not trust tires, I replace all 4 rear tires.
3. The last issue, which again I was fortunate to be close to home and not pulling trailer, I lost both power steering and brakes. If I had been on road with trailer in a high traffic area, I would have caused a major accident, which one or more people could have been killed. That would have been Ramโ€™s fault.
4. Again the truck was towed into Covert. Took 2 to 3 weeks to fix. When I picked up I saw that I had a crack along the lower left side of windshield. The crack was not there when truck was picked up.
Showed the crack to Covert and they would not do anything about it. Then contacted Ram customer service and they would not do anything. This ended costing me out of pocket almost
$500.00.
You can check with Covert Chrysler to see about all the warrantee work that has been done over the time I have owned the vehicle.
Donโ€™t know how many other trucks you have trouble with, but after seeing the latest information on Consumer Reports on auto brand reliability, I see that the Ram brand is considered one of the most unreliable and the 3500 was the worst of Ram brand.
This is a very unreliable truck and I cannot put my familyโ€™s safety in peril.
100 REPLIES 100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™ll buy that pos lemon from ya for cheap!
Ram does have a big water pump problem currently. Even a recall now. Itโ€™s weird actually since itโ€™s the same pump on the same engine essentially for what 30 years now?

Do whatcha want, but theyโ€™re all the greatest thing since beer in a can one day and the biggest POS the next. Iโ€™ve had the experience of maintaining, owning or driving probably over 100 of the big 3s pickups for the last 25+ years and none of them are immune from problems and ALL of them are pretty comparable on all fronts in recent years.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
jccjr500 wrote:
We pay way too much to put up with this kind or poor quality. If we donโ€™t fight back there will continue with a lack of decent quality. One person canโ€™t win, but if we keeping fighting as a group, we might make a difference.

OP, that sucks and I'm sorry you've had so many issues. I certainly understand your frustration and your desire to switch brands. When you lose confidence in your truck, it can stain your impression of a future truck. Only those who are blindly loyal towards one brand cannot understand that feeling.

That being said, I don't see the overall lack of quality. I don't doubt that your individual truck had frustrating issues, but my 2015 Ram has been relatively trouble free and a great truck for 2.5 years and 35K miles. I don't think that Ram has any greater quality concerns that GM or Ford. In fact, my concerns about Ford quality due to the 6.0, 6.4 and early 6.7 caused me to refuse to consider a Ford diesel at the time I bought my Ram.

I hope you can get out from your truck without too much loss and find one in which you have confidence. I really think that any new diesel you can get right now will be a very good truck. Any major issues with older trucks (emissions systems, transmissions, engine reliability concerns, fuel pumps, etc) seem to have been straightened out. If I could afford a new truck, I think that any modern diesel would be a very dependable choice. Find the one that fits your butt, your budget and gives you confidence... that's all that matters anyway.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
itguy08 wrote:
Chrysler has never made a quality vehicle. Ram is no different. There is a reason Chrysler went bankrupt twice, has had I think 4 or 5 owners, and has the lowest quality of all vehicles on the road.

Sell it and buy a better vehicle.

Yup, sell it and buy a better quality vehicle...like a Ford 6.0:)

jccjr500
Explorer
Explorer
Power steering and brake loss was due to pully coming loose off water pump . When a truck with only 23000 miles has this many problems, it is time to move on. If I had a similar situation with another manufacturer, I would feel the same way. It is time we put pressure on then . We pay way too much to put up with this kind or poor quality. If we donโ€™t fight back there will continue with a lack of decent quality. One person canโ€™t win, but if we keeping fighting as a group, we might make a difference.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
Chrysler has never made a quality vehicle. Ram is no different. There is a reason Chrysler went bankrupt twice, has had I think 4 or 5 owners, and has the lowest quality of all vehicles on the road.

Sell it and buy a better vehicle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So not a great start and 2 off the wall problems. TCM and a hydro boost pump. Not common failures for sure.
The other 2 things have nothing to do with Ram. OE tires are cheap junk on all trucks and the Nexens if you have a dually are the worst. Broken windshield? Meh it happens. Iโ€™m sure youโ€™re 100 percent sure there was no rock chip that caused it to crack, because I seem to go thru a windshield on something every couple years average. And rocks donโ€™t care what brand or how new your windshield is.

Sounds more like a worthless service department. 2-4 weekโ€™s for a couple simple repairs is stupid. Or maybe theyโ€™re booked up with all the lemon Rams.....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^. Thatโ€™s Blue-laid, lol!!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Why can't you Ram boys just admit he has had problems like other brands do and let it go?

It's the Kool-Aid... Powerful stuff I suppose

LOL. like the Kool-Aide running down you chin.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jccjr500 wrote:
Windshield was a rain sensitive one. Replaced with OEM windshield. Actual cost was 479.00. My Geico deductible was 501.00.
Sorry about grammar.
At least Ram is now looking at it. Will be curious to see if they will do anything.
This has had too many problems for me and family to feel safe in.
I did get a bad unit and that happens.
The dealer Covert use to be a good , but they have really gone downhill.
Will not do business with them any more.
By the way I really liked the Ram. Drove great.

Nice you returned. What caused the power steering and brakes not to work?

yes please do tell, considering they are 2 different systems with the common denominator being a belt.

Not sure about the OPs truck but I suspect it is like my 06 dually. Both the power steering and brakes have a lot of commonality in that they both work off the pressurized oil from the power steering pump. So alot more in common than just the belt.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
Why can't you Ram boys just admit he has had problems like other brands do and let it go?

It's the Kool-Aid... Powerful stuff I suppose
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
People buy the Dodge because it is the cheapest HD truck out there. You get what you pay for, usually holds true.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jccjr500 wrote:
Windshield was a rain sensitive one. Replaced with OEM windshield. Actual cost was 479.00. My Geico deductible was 501.00.
Sorry about grammar.
At least Ram is now looking at it. Will be curious to see if they will do anything.

yes please do tell, considering they are 2 different systems with the common denominator being a belt.

I'm betting failed water pump but why not state that in the beginning???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jccjr500 wrote:
Sorry about grammar.

The power steering pump runs the brakes and steering.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't want to necessarily scare you or anything, but ANYTHING can break on ANY truck at ANY time, leaving you tumbling down the road, end-over-end in a fireball of death and destruction. No amount of quality control or engineering can prevent every failure.

99.9999% of the time, nothing bad happens. 99.9999% of that remaining .0001% of the time, you're just inconvenienced.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.