Did you mean:ย 

Ram quality & company and dealer response

jccjr500
Explorer
Explorer
This is a letter that I sent to Ram

Ram problems

Dealer: Covert Chrysler Austin, TX
First, I purchase this vehicle to pull a 23,000 lb 5th wheel, and reviewing the specs, it showed that this truck would be capable of towing this unit. Each year I take my trailer to Colorado as well as other places and I expected to be able to go and return safely.
These are following things that happened
1. Transmission computer board went out. Could not drive vehicle. The truck had to be towed into Covert Chrysler. Fortunately I was near home, but I could have just as easily been on a trip and broken down in an area where there was no cell service. What would I have done then? It took Covert 3 to 4 weeks to fix this issue.
2. On last trip, pulling my trailer, at 21000 miles my two front tire treads separated from belt. Fortunately, after feeling the front end vibrate and dropping my trailer for some maintaince I took my truck to tire shop to have wheels balanced. That is when I was informed the treads had separated. Had to buy new tires. What would have happened if I had had a blowout and wrecked and either kill one of the members of my family or someone else. Know you did not make tires, but you did pick the tires to put on truck. Also I had previously taken truck over commercial scales to make sure I had not exceeded weight limits. On trip home had a rear tire where part of tread completely separated from belt. This was about at 22000 miles. Knowing I could not trust tires, I replace all 4 rear tires.
3. The last issue, which again I was fortunate to be close to home and not pulling trailer, I lost both power steering and brakes. If I had been on road with trailer in a high traffic area, I would have caused a major accident, which one or more people could have been killed. That would have been Ramโ€™s fault.
4. Again the truck was towed into Covert. Took 2 to 3 weeks to fix. When I picked up I saw that I had a crack along the lower left side of windshield. The crack was not there when truck was picked up.
Showed the crack to Covert and they would not do anything about it. Then contacted Ram customer service and they would not do anything. This ended costing me out of pocket almost
$500.00.
You can check with Covert Chrysler to see about all the warrantee work that has been done over the time I have owned the vehicle.
Donโ€™t know how many other trucks you have trouble with, but after seeing the latest information on Consumer Reports on auto brand reliability, I see that the Ram brand is considered one of the most unreliable and the 3500 was the worst of Ram brand.
This is a very unreliable truck and I cannot put my familyโ€™s safety in peril.
100 REPLIES 100

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Going to a different dealer is how the free market system resolves issues like this.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I foresee you quickly exhausting your options for anything.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Why should someone have to dealer shop to get quality service? That is a problem with the system and not the individual. If you want to create brand loyalty this is the wrong business model.

We can complain all day about a poor dealer, that isn't going to make them a good dealer. If I go to my local McDonalds and the food stinks, no amount of complaining is going to make it better (notice I didn't say good...). I'm just curious why the OP didn't just decide to take the truck to a different dealer.

When I owned my Tundra, I received lifetime oil changes included in the price (notice I didn't say free...). My local dealer just plain stunk. They had poor mgmt and incompetent employees. That wasn't an indictment of Toyota, that was just a poor dealer. I drove 50 miles to another dealer that was way better to get my oil changes.

Just throwing it out as an option. The OP complains about the manufacturer, when this is entirely a DEALERSHIP issue. I just suggested he try another dealer before giving up on the truck.

And when that happens I discontinue giving my money to that franchise. Doesn't matter if it is fast food or automobiles. The formula for a franchise is you should know what to expect as a good franchise plan has uniformity in both quality and customer service. If the corporate office cannot control that I have no issues spending my cash elsewhere.

Chrysler used to have a 5 star program that set standards for the dealer to meet in order to achieve this rating. Included in achieving this rating you could advertise having this Chrysler 5 Star achievement which usually meant your dealer got more business compared to a comparable non 5 Star Chrysler dealer. I thought it was a good program that drove the Chrysler dealers to improve customer satisfaction but has since been abandoned by Chrysler.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Why should someone have to dealer shop to get quality service? That is a problem with the system and not the individual. If you want to create brand loyalty this is the wrong business model.

We can complain all day about a poor dealer, that isn't going to make them a good dealer. If I go to my local McDonalds and the food stinks, no amount of complaining is going to make it better (notice I didn't say good...). I'm just curious why the OP didn't just decide to take the truck to a different dealer.

When I owned my Tundra, I received lifetime oil changes included in the price (notice I didn't say free...). My local dealer just plain stunk. They had poor mgmt and incompetent employees. That wasn't an indictment of Toyota, that was just a poor dealer. I drove 50 miles to another dealer that was way better to get my oil changes.

Just throwing it out as an option. The OP complains about the manufacturer, when this is entirely a DEALERSHIP issue. I just suggested he try another dealer before giving up on the truck.

And when that happens I discontinue giving my money to that franchise. Doesn't matter if it is fast food or automobiles. The formula for a franchise is you should know what to expect as a good franchise plan has uniformity in both quality and customer service. If the corporate office cannot control that I have no issues spending my cash elsewhere.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
He has done all but one recall/campaign.

Status
Incomplete
Recall Date
September 12, 2017
FCA Recall #
T51
NHTSA Recall #
17V-562
Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

The water pump may experience a failure which may result in an engine compartment fire. A water pump failure resulting in an engine compartment fire can cause the vehicle to crash without prior warning increasing the risk of injury to motor vehicle occupants or persons outside the vehicle.

Repair Description

The water pump must be inspected and replaced if required.

Recall Status

INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE
Get Notified When Parts are Available
SCHEDULE SERVICE SUBMIT REIMBURSEMENT
Status
Complete
Recall Date
May 09, 2017
FCA Recall #
T25
NHTSA Recall #
17V-302

THE OCCUPANT RESTRAINT CONTROL MODULE MAY ACTIVATE A DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) DUE TO EXTERNAL STIMULUS WHICH DISABLES ITS ABILITY TO SENSE VEHICLE ROLLOVER EVENTS. WHEN THE DTC IS SET, AIRBAG AND SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER DEPLOYMENT BASED ON ROLLOVER SENSING IS DISABLED FOR THE IGNITION CYCLE IN WHICH THE DTC WAS SET. THE LOSS OF AIR BAG AND SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER DEPLOYMENT CAPABILITY DURING A CRASH MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH.

Repair Description

THE ORC MODULE ON INVOLVED VEHICLES MUST BE REPROGRAMMED WITH NEW SOFTWARE.

Recall Status

REPAIRED
SUBMIT REIMBURSEMENT
Status
Complete
Recall Date
August 25, 2015
FCA Recall #
R46
NHTSA Recall #
15V-541

SOME OF THE VEHICLES MAY HAVE A FRONT SUSPENSION TRACK BAR FRAME BRACKET THAT WAS IMPROPERLY WELDED DURING THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS. THE FRONT SUSPENSION TRACK BAR FRAME BRACKET WELDS MAY BREAK AND ALLOW THE FRONT SUSPENSION TRACK BAR FRAME BRACKET TO SEPARATE FROM THE FRAME RAIL. A SEPARATED FRONT SUSPENSION TRACK BAR FRAME BRACKET WILL CAUSE DIMINISHED STEERING RESPONSE AND COULD CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING UNDER CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS.

Repair Description

THE FRONT SUSPENSION TRACK BAR BRACKET MUST BE INSPECTED FOR CRACKED WELDS.TRACK BAR BRACKETS WITHOUT CRACKED WELDS WILL HAVE REINFORCEMENT BRACKETS INSTALLED. HOWEVER, THE TRACK BAR REINFORCEMENT BRACKETS ARE CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. FCA WILL CONTACT YOU AGAIN BY MAIL, WITH A FOLLOW-UP RECALL NOTICE, WHEN THE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE.TRACK BAR BRACKETS FOUND WITH CRACKED WELDS WILL HAVE NEW TRACK BAR BRACKETS WELDED TO THE FRAME. WELDING NEW BRACKETS TO THE FRAME WILL REMEDY THE CONDITION AND YOU WILL NOT BE CONTACTED AGAIN BY FCA REGARDING THIS ISSUE.

Recall Status

REPAIRED
SUBMIT REIMBURSEMENT
Status
Complete
Recall Date
July 23, 2015
FCA Recall #
R40
NHTSA Recall #
15V-461

SOME 2013-2015 MY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SPECIFIC RADIOS HAVE CERTAIN SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES WHICH COULD ALLOW UNAUTHORIZED THIRD-PARTY ACCESS TO SOME NETWORKED VEHICLE CONTROL SYSTEMS. A SUCCESSFUL EXPLOIT OF THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY COULD RESULT IN UNAUTHORIZED REMOTE MODIFICATION AND CONTROL OF VEHICLE SYSTEMS. FCA US HAS NOT MADE A DETERMINATION THAT THIS SECURITY VULNERABILITY CONSTITUTES A DEFECT. ALTHOUGH FCA US HAS NOT DETERMINED THAT A DEFECT EXISTS, IT HAS DECIDED TO CONDUCT A REMEDIAL CAMPAIGN AS A SAFETY RECALL IN THE INTEREST OF PROTECTING ITS CUSTOMERS. EXPLOITATION OF THE SOFTWARE SECURITY VULNERABILITIES COULD LEAD TO EXPOSING THE DRIVER, THE VEHICLE OCCUPANTS OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL OR VEHICLE WITH PROXIMITY TO THE AFFECTED VEHICLE TO A POTENTIAL RISK OF INJURY.

Repair Description

CUSTOMERS AFFECTED BY THE RECALL WILL RECEIVE A USB DRIVE WHICH THEY MAY USE TO UPGRADE VEHICLE SOFTWARE, PROVIDING ADDITIONAL SECURITY FEATURES INDEPENDENT OF THE NETWORK-LEVEL MEASURES. ALTERNATELY, CUSTOMERS MAY VISIT HTTP://WWW.DRIVEUCONNECT.COM/SOFTWARE-UPDATE/ TO INPUT THEIR VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS (VINS) AND DETERMINE IF THEIR VEHICLES ARE INCLUDED IN THE RECALL. IF SO, THEY MAY DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE THEMSELVES, OR VISIT THEIR DEALERS, WHERE TECHNICIANS WILL PERFORM THE INSTALLATION. THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THE SOFTWARE OR, IN THE CASE OF DEALER VISIT, INSTALLATION.

Recall Status

REPAIRED
SUBMIT REIMBURSEMENT
Status
Complete
Recall Date
July 21, 2015
FCA Recall #
R23
NHTSA Recall #
15V-460

OCCUPANT RESTRAINT CONTROL (ORC) MODULE SOFTWARE MAY CONTAIN SIDE IMPACT CALIBRATIONS THAT ARE OVERLY SENSITIVE. INADVERTENT SIDE AIRBAG INFLATABLE CURTAIN (SABIC), SEAT AIRBAG, AND/OR SEATBELT PRE-TENSIONER DEPLOYMENT DURING CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH AND/OR VEHICLE OCCUPANT INJURY.

Repair Description

THE ORC MODULE MUST BE REPROGRAMMED WITH NEW SOFTWARE.

Recall Status

REPAIRED
SUBMIT REIMBURSEMENT
Status
Complete
Recall Date
July 21, 2015
FCA Recall #
R36
NHTSA Recall #
15V-459

THE STEERING WHEEL WIRE HARNESS MAY BECOME CHAFFED BY THE DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE RETAINER SPRING ENDS. A CHAFFED STEERING WHEEL WIRE HARNESS COULD CAUSE AN ELECTRICAL SHORT AND/OR AN INADVERTENT DRIVER AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT. INADVERTENT DRIVER AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT, DURING CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS, MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH AND/OR VEHICLE OCCUPANT INJURY.

Repair Description

THE STEERING WHEEL WIRE HARNESS WILL BE INSPECTED, AND IF NEEDED REPAIRED. THE STEERING WHEEL WIRE HARNESS WILL BE REROUTED AND SECURED TO PREVENT WIRE CHAFFING AND PROTECTIVE CAPS WILL BE INSTALLED ONTO THE AIRBAG RETAINER SPRING ENDS.

Recall Status

REPAIRED
SUBMIT REIMBURSEMENT
CURRENT CAMPAIGNS
Results on this website were last updated on: 11-08-2017 | Showing 1 Campaign

What is a Campaign?
Status
Complete
Campaign Date
March 30, 2017
FCA Campaign #
T05
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
disregard, it has already been addressed that a VIN has 17 characters. Carry on... ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

CampersX4
Explorer
Explorer
My first Ram was a 2004 1500 5.7 2wd. Awesome truck. 160k, the motor blew and I sold it to a local mechanic. I then bought a 2014 Ram 2500hd 5.7 4x4. It was a nightmare. Needed new ring and pinion, broken manifold bolts on both heads, one requiring a new head as the old bolt couldn't be removed, water pump went out, rust above the windshield, alignment issues as 4 shops couldn't get it right, and a faulty radio. The ignition switch was replaced 3x as you could pull the key out of the ignition and the motor would still run. All this by 55k so i got rid if it. The dealership would have the truck for weeks at a time as parts were limited.
You get a good one or a bad one and unfortunately, I got a bad 2014. Good luck to you.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I am not an apologist for Dodge. Far from it. But I don't put much stock in posts such as this. Not for, nor against, the OP, because I don't know him from Adam.

But I know that there are customers who are more trouble than they are worth, and every business has to deal with them sooner or later. The guy who is obnoxious, constantly complaining about minor issues, blaming the business for everything short of his dog puking on the seat. The broken windshield complaint smells exactly like that kind of situation. So, OP has had the kind of issue that any vehicle can have, isn't happy about it. None of us are when it happens, but attitude is everything when it comes to getting your junk fixed right and on time.

I might be right, I might be wrong, like I said it is impossible to say from here. Just means I give no credence to posts like this.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Case #: 32713753
VIN: 3C63RRKLXEG273715
Vehicle Description: RAM 3500 LONGHORN 4X4

I am willing to bet this info above is NOT directly from Chrysler. The FACT is there are 16 digits on a VIN# and this one has 17. Copy and pasted it on Chryslers recall site and it did not recognize the number.

Actually, a US VIN has 17 digits, not 16.

Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs)

From Carfax:

Vehicle Identification Numbers are unique codes given to each on-road vehicle in the United States. From 1981, each new car is given a standardized 17-digit code, which includes a serial number.
Older cars may have VINs too, although they will not follow the standardized formula. A VIN lets you unlock vital information about the vehicle and its history.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am willing to bet this info above is NOT directly from Chrysler. The FACT is there are 16 digits on a VIN# and this one has 17. Copy and pasted it on Chryslers recall site and it did not recognize the number.

are you sure about that...

https://www.edmunds.com/ram/3500/2014/vin/3C63RRKLXEG273715/

I stand corrected! Mime also has 17 digits.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree, likely c rappy dealer service, but if a water pump and a freak occurrence TCM failure make a vehicle a turd then be prepared for possible future disappointment with other brands too.......
Iโ€™ve owned, driven long term or been responsible for probably 500 pickups in the last 20+ years. ALL of the mfgs have issues.
Brand loyalty is just banter. If one is serious about it, they need another hobby!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

are you sure about that...

https://www.edmunds.com/ram/3500/2014/vin/3C63RRKLXEG273715/

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III