cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RE: Front hitch

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
How much weight would be too much weight on a Ford F-350 dually front hitch? It seems like too much weight would affect the suspension and steering.
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4
10 REPLIES 10

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
macdale4 wrote:
How much weight would be too much weight on a Ford F-350 dually front hitch? It seems like too much weight would affect the suspension and steering.

I dont have a dually, but with my camper on my front axel weighs 5093 lbs and the total capacity for the front axel is 5600 lbs so that means I could put 500lbs on it at most.

Steve

500 lb on front hitch will add about 600 lb on front axle.
Might be even more, depends on configuration.

how are you adding more weight than your putting on? I am asuming you are thinking about the leverage principle, I would be surprised if it add much more if any. something I will have to try since I want to get a front hitch put on for a kayack rack.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
macdale4 wrote:

I dont have a dually, but with my camper on my front axel weighs 5093 lbs and the total capacity for the front axel is 5600 lbs so that means I could put 500lbs on it at most.

Steve

500 lb on front hitch will add about 600 lb on front axle.
Might be even more, depends on configuration.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you're that worried about it take the rig to the scales and get it weighed so you can see how much capacity you've got left to work with.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
macdale4 wrote:

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Had front hitches on almost all of my F-series trucks.
The older truck had hitches mounted on front bumper mounts, when 2017 model has hitch bolted to the lower frame.
Loved the last one as carrying Honda 3000 on the hitch, it did not cover radiator too much.
As members above pointed -bigger TC are taking weigh off front axle, so putting the weigh there improves stabilization.

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
A few hundred pounds won't do much. Guys hang snow plows off stock trucks all the time. I have a Ranch Hand bumper on my 3500 with stock springs, anymore weight and I would be adding 2" or 3" lift HD coils. You can get HD springs to solve the sagging issue for just about anything.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=121&zenid=6b259387b176a1bcb8f3c48227f...

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
compared to how much weight the TC in the back lightens the front axle? Adding up to 500 up front like the above poster listed is going to improve steering not make it worse
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
My front hitch is rated at 1,000 lbs tongue weight and 10,000 pounds towing.

Front hitch

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I believe most front hitches are rated @ vertical load of 500 lbs,
line pull ~9000 lbs.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Define โ€œeffectโ€. And does your camper unload the front axle at all?
Otherwise, a few hundred lbs will not even be noticeable.
Iโ€™d say the strength of the hitch receiver would come into play before the weight causing significant wear n tear.
A โ€œgoodโ€ hitch like a Curt is rated for 350lbs
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold