cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real world 1/2 ton truck mileage?

OwlHome
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! First time posting. We are trying to get into the RV world correctly by buying the tow vehicle first. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 young kids. We are looking to get an RV no longer than 25ft. We plan to tour the US with whatever truck/trailer combination we end up with. When not towing the truck will mainly be used for hauling loads of mulch, compost, fencing, or lumber rather than as a family car. We live on a dirt road in a snowy state so we'll be wanting a 4x4.

Our mechanic, a self proclaimed "Chevy Guy" who tows his RV with his Silverado, suggested that we get a Toyota Tundra. In his experience they don't need much besides regular maintenance. When comparing Toyota Tundras to other 1/2 tons I noticed that Tundras seem to have a much lower Highway mileage number. I asked our mechanic about that and he feels that some manufacturers advertise mileage based on perfect conditions as he's only seen the higher numbers in his Silverado if he's maintaining a perfect 55 or 65 on the highway. I suppose that's true of any vehicle but I've come here to ask what other's have experienced in terms of 1/2 ton truck mileage when they aren't towing.
67 REPLIES 67

Explorer II
Explorer II
ssthrd wrote:
I have no complaints at all about fuel mileage. Only about the small tank that contributes to the Tundra's poor mileage reputation. For my recent 30,000 mile trip, I averaged 10 MPG (US) towing my 7,000 lb TT at 55-60 MPH in 5th gear. I'm fine with that.

Is that number lower than other vehicles? Perhaps slightly. Do I have to stop for fuel more often? No doubt, but I figure it was about time to stop any way.
Same with my Ford. 10 mpg while towing on a 26gal tank means I'm refueling about every 200 miles. I'm ready to get out and stretch my legs by then anyway. I could never be an OTR driver.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

CDEW
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F-150 3.5 Eco-Boost Heavy Duty Payload: 20 to 21mpg daily, 9-10mpg towing 27 foot loaded Toy Hauler 7500lbs(+or-) at 55-60 MPH.
Any speed above 60 drops the MPG to 8 or worse.

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Fuelie might be some of your best overall fuel economy data for multi brands. Toyota is generally the thirstiest. I think Toyota is overdue to bring new engine & transmission to the table. I would like to see them offer a small diesel like Ram & the coming Ford & GM.

I have the Ram 3.0 Econodiesel 8 speed with 3.92s & what I call a tow tune.
Running around locally 22-23 mpg.
Hwy mostly keeping it down to 65 it will average 30 mpg & get 700 plus miles per 26 gallon tank.
Cruising interstate at 80 mph it will still average 22 - 23 mpg.
Towing 65 mph with 6,500 pound Airstream averages 15 mpg with a 6,500 box TT 14.0 - 14.2 mpg.
A very quiet comfortable ride.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Rving isn't about MPG.

And this isn't about RVing ... the OP said - "I've come here to ask what other's have experienced in terms of 1/2 ton truck mileage when they aren't towing." :R

With my 2012 Silverado 4x4 CC, 5.3L coupled to a 3.42 axle I typically can get 22 miles to the US gallon highway in the summer, ~ 20 mpg in the dead of winter, 15 mpg around town in the summer, ~ 13 mpg in winter, all not towing obviously.

JMO, but with the loads you want to carry when not towing I'd be looking at a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 ton.

Right you are SoundGuy. My bad for the above post.
I average 18 MPG (US) on the highway and about 13 MPG combined city/highway.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
🙂 Hi, everyone that I know who has a Toyota, loves the truck and it's dependability. But they all complain about gas mileage.

I have no complaints at all about fuel mileage. Only about the small tank that contributes to the Tundra's poor mileage reputation. For my recent 30,000 mile trip, I averaged 10 MPG (US) towing my 7,000 lb TT at 55-60 MPH in 5th gear. I'm fine with that.

Is that number lower than other vehicles? Perhaps slightly. Do I have to stop for fuel more often? No doubt, but I figure it was about time to stop any way.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thats what I saw with my 2011, same model. Great trucks with the power to get er done and just as good of mileage as the Eco I think.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ford F-150 STX super cab, 2wd, 5.0 V8, 3.31, 145”, tow package, 8100# tow capacity. 17 around town or less if heavy traffic, 20 only freeway at 60mph or less, and an average of about 10 towing a 4600 pound dry weight TT. I drive pretty conservatively. I’m in no rush. That helps a lot.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
ppine wrote:
I like hvac's post. Too bad they cost $50,000.

Too bad you can’t buy one!

Posted: 02/25/18 09:53am Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator
mosseater wrote:

8-9 around PA rolling hills, etc. Barely 7 out west. 16k lbs combined usually, 5.4l, 4 spd, 4:10 rear at about 65 mph tops.

There are some screaming deals on left over 17 models in woodland ca. Can't buy them for 18 yet, waiting for court decision. They sip fuel, but are best working and on long trips. Emission issues if just driven on short runs or high idle. Mines perfect approaching 40 k miles. 60% or greater towing heavy. It loves it.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
8-9 around PA rolling hills, etc. Barely 7 out west. 16k lbs combined usually, 5.4l, 4 spd, 4:10 rear at about 65 mph tops.

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
PDX.Zs wrote:
My around town, commute, mixed mileage in our 1/2 ton SUV (Expy) is 12-13.

Towing drops to 8, freeway can come up to 15.

I think that is real world typical of 1/2 tons.

That doesn't seem very good. My 2015 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0L gas engine, 4.10 ratios, and AT tires does that good, at a minimum. On regular gas, it averages about 14 mpg for all miles (city, rural, highway, hauling, etc). Have gotten 17-18 mpg on long road trips with it (not towing).

With a 2013 1500 Chevy I had for a short time (I couldn't stand that pickup), I could pull of about 2 mpg better, across the board, compared to my present 2500.

But then, it does have a lot to do with driving style. Just the differences between drivers and how they operate a vehicle can account for up to a 30% difference in fuel economy. That has been shown in myriads of studies. That doesn't necessarily mean driving as slow as grandma, but there are ways of driving style that save a considerable amount of fuel.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

womps
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:

Too bad you can’t buy one!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that with my 2007 Tundra with the 5.7. Expect 9 to 10 mpg towing. Great truck though a bit thirsty. Loads of power
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram Eco Diesel. 3.92. Full air suspension. 8 speed.Best empty highway 29.5. Avg towing a 28 ATC front bedroom toy hauler 13.5.