cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Dusty Roads? Would this be viable in the US?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
We have some extremely dusty( ultra fine talc like dust) in Australia. Many Caravans use a low pressure system fitted on the roof to keep it out. Unfortunately it can interfer with solar panels. A Couple have started a company that provides a similar low pressuisation but on the sideGusto dust prevention system

8 REPLIES 8

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I can see where you can keep the interior dust down if you install a vent that sucks in filtered air from the exterior. Without a filter you're just sucking in dust.

From their website it appears the Gusto uses filtered air to pressurize the interior so I can see a benefit.

At $2,250 AUD (approx $1,450 USD) I would be rather go buy an air filter housing from a wrecked vehicle at the junk yard. Then add a fan and some ducting to the outside and you have a poor mans Gusto for a whole lot cheaper.

When more overlanding occurs in the US rhese pressurized systems will become more common. Generally getting an effective presurized system is not that easy.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I can see where you can keep the interior dust down if you install a vent that sucks in filtered air from the exterior. Without a filter you're just sucking in dust.

From their website it appears the Gusto uses filtered air to pressurize the interior so I can see a benefit.

At $2,250 AUD (approx $1,450 USD) I would be rather go buy an air filter housing from a wrecked vehicle at the junk yard. Then add a fan and some ducting to the outside and you have a poor mans Gusto for a whole lot cheaper.

At that price I agree with you!!!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:

Even more cost effective, and probably easier to make look better than the south end of north bound goat would be build air box to fit household furnace filter.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Out here in the West, there are a lot of boondockers. The first I do when we set up is dust!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
I've tried opening a forward facing roof vent on 2 travel trailers while going down dusty dirt roads. I can tell you that it doesn't help one bit keeping the dust out.

These are not just vents but pressurised a bit of a difference

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried opening a forward facing roof vent on 2 travel trailers while going down dusty dirt roads. I can tell you that it doesn't help one bit keeping the dust out.
Just say no to the payload police :C

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I think the majority of the North American RV's are always on pavement so probably not a big market. Yes there is a smaller subset that go off paved roads. But I think that group pales in comparison to the rest.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup