cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rear camera for toad

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a Geo tracker behind our Kodiak truck camper..... unable to see the toad with our outside rearview mirrors, nor can I see it through the camper door...... Would like advice as to a very basic wireless camera that I just need to see the toad... not fancy or expensive..... Or other suggestions..... Thank You
jimbow
11 REPLIES 11

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Have a update re: rear camera........I purchased thru Amazon a Solar wireless backup camera by auto-vox..... DIY 5 min install... about 160 dollars.. was impressed with positive comments and when I received it I had a question.. made the contact and had a reply within hours with answers ... installed easily and on test drive worked good....... hoping for years of service
jimbow

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is on a holder on the dash, no touching, it appears as a small "monitor" not unlike the monitor you use for any camera, when not in use as the monitor, its used as your phone
No breaking the law with this method

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
we use this wireless transmitter;
Youmei Car Backup Camera Realtime Video WiFi Transmitter for iPhone iPad Andriod Phone and Pad
it connects to any back up camera, and then transmits to your cell phone using a free app. We didn't want a monitor sitting on the dash and this works fine using our cell phone

Now in lot of states when you take the phone in your hand while driving - you are criminal.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
after you figure out what style you want, call https://www.tadibrothers.com/
one of the best companies I have dealt with on the internet. I ended up buying a monitor that was to big, they exchanged it with no problems. I have one on top of back wall of truck camper and one on top of back of box trailer. I went with wireless with external antennas. I power them off the clearance markers. turn on tail lights and cameras come on.
If ever needed, I could bring the monitor into the camper, (turn on the truck lights by press lock button on remote and lights come on for X seconds, or wire switch into camper cord to turn on tail lights) and I can view rear camera from inside camper.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
we use this wireless transmitter;
Youmei Car Backup Camera Realtime Video WiFi Transmitter for iPhone iPad Andriod Phone and Pad
it connects to any back up camera, and then transmits to your cell phone using a free app. We didn't want a monitor sitting on the dash and this works fine using our cell phone

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimbow2 wrote:
Tell me more about the fisheye window for the backdoor.... as I have a back window but can only see thru a portion of it........ any first hand experiences........

My Fleetwood has it.
The fisheye changes the perspective quite bad, but still seeing something is better than nothing. Doubt you'd notice flat tire on toad using it.
On my camper I am using original camera from 360 set on my Ford, but Ford make program that allows cameras on only at low speeds, so you can't turn them on while driving on highway.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
jimbow2 wrote:
Tell me more about the fisheye window for the backdoor.... as I have a back window but can only see thru a portion of it........ any first hand experiences........

We have one, simple plastic lens that sticks to rear window. Increases field of view (similar to wide angle lens on mirror).
https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-60200-Wide-Angle-Lens/dp/B000TCCWS2
one source,-available just about anywhere.
While increases what can be seen thru window, need to be able see it, our camper door window is centerd and visible. About 10 bucks, its all I generaly use. I do have camera now and no comparison but for just glancing and checking toad is still there the lens works..
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lotta choices out there.

This one started popping up in ads, and looks interesting...
Certainly easy install and while battery driven (aka No Wiring) it looks pretty nice.
While I don't have anything yet, I'll take a hard look at this one...
Hope that helps..

MonitorQuickVu Digital Wireless Backup Camera System with 7" Color Monitor
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
jimbow

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that info.......
jimbow

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
This was our solution when we started towing.

wireless rear view camera
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.