Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear View Camera

jdcellarmod
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Anybody use one? If so, Is it beneficial? Main reason to have one is to keep an eye on vehicles. Using it for backing up would come in handy.

Thanks, Jeff D
2021 Ram 3500 short bed dually
2020 Arctic Fox 865 short bed
2021 Nitro Z18
29 REPLIES 29

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Beware about different cameras angles.
Cameras design for plate mount have very wide angle.
Ford factory cameras have mid-angle as they are design to be mounted 4-5 ft above the ground.
My Sprinter van has camera mounted 9 ft up on the roof, who will not show much behind, but gives clear view behind the bumper without distortions wide angle cameras give.
You put wide angle camera on top of TC and you won't be able to recognize the picture.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coastalflyer wrote:
My F250 came with a pair of connectors you're supposed to use when you disconnect the tailgate camera. Looks to me like those plugs will accommodate wires from a third-party camera. So rather than try to fish the original camera out of the tailgate, my inclination is to keep the camera in the tailgate but disconnect the connectors under the truck, taking note of which wires are used. Then buy a license-plate camera and run the wires to the blank connectors supplied by Ford. Will make the tailgate removal/reattachment processes much easier and in theory, make use of the existing display in the cab.

Thatโ€™s what the Camera Source products do. Sure, you can roll your own. My suggestion is to make sure you buy the camera with a long enough wire if you will mount it high. Btw, Iโ€™m not sponsored and donโ€™t work for them. ๐Ÿ˜„ I just use their product and have been happy with it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Coastalflyer
Explorer
Explorer
My F250 came with a pair of connectors you're supposed to use when you disconnect the tailgate camera. Looks to me like those plugs will accommodate wires from a third-party camera. So rather than try to fish the original camera out of the tailgate, my inclination is to keep the camera in the tailgate but disconnect the connectors under the truck, taking note of which wires are used. Then buy a license-plate camera and run the wires to the blank connectors supplied by Ford. Will make the tailgate removal/reattachment processes much easier and in theory, make use of the existing display in the cab.

Coastalflyer
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Coastalflyer wrote:
Which system can I use to replace the tailgate camera on my 2019 F250? I have to take the tailgate off for my TC so I want to plug the replacement camera into the existing wire harness on the truck.

Why would you want to replace camera?
Use it on camper. Here is how I did it

Interesting idea Kayteg1. Wasn't aware I can take the camera out of the tailgate. My preference would be to mount it on my license plate since it's visible with or without the Palomino on it and I wouldn't need any extra cable length. Will investigate.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coastalflyer wrote:
Which system can I use to replace the tailgate camera on my 2019 F250? I have to take the tailgate off for my TC so I want to plug the replacement camera into the existing wire harness on the truck.

Look at Camera Source. Iโ€™m sure they probably have a camera that will plug into the existing harness.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Use it on camper.

Kind of obvious answer, but most of us donโ€™t want to bother changing out the camera every time we put our tailgates on. For us, simply unplugging and pluging the camper in is a better solution.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Coastalflyer wrote:

Use it on camper. Here is how I did it

Coastalflyer
Explorer
Explorer

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
I installed this one from Amazon during the off season for my 31 ft. trailer. It works great sitting underneath the carport. Looking forward to the first tow next week. It is wireless and was an easy install. The field of view looks sufficient to cover some blind spots. Maybe I'll check back in a week.

AMTIFO FHD 1080P Digital Wireless Backup Camera,Hitch Camera with 7'' DVR Monitor Support Split/Quard Screen for Pickups,Trucks,Trailers,RV,5th Wheels High-Speed Observation System

I promised a follow up, here it is. I built an adapter so the monitor mounts to my rear view mirror. The resolution of the monitor is very good however the brightness could be better especially when wearing sunglasses. I had a full signal all the time and there was no pixelation or frame freezing with the unit (up to 70 mph). Everything seemed reduced in size, a magnification feature would have been helpful. I could tell a vehicle was behind me and they would be in the camera view well into the point where my mirrors picked it up. I towed in the rain; the camera lens did not clear well and was pretty much useless. Once the rain stopped, the lens quickly cleared. Our site was a pull through so I did not use the camera for backing.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a tadibrothers wireless camera setup . the monitor sits on the dash I have one camera above the rear door of the camper and the second inside the horse trailer so that we can watch the horse while in transit. I should have gotten a 3 camera system and put the third on the back of the trailer for backing and for lane changes in traffic.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 2nd Ram camera and installed it in the fixed part of the upper step of our Northern Lite. So unplug the tailgate camera, remove the tailgate, load the camper and plug in the camper camera.

If I was building a camper I'd pre-wire for a camera somewhere higher but this location has worked very well. It would also be nice to get a camera view other than whilst in reverse (we usually flat tow a Jeep) but I haven't gotten around to making that happen. It's a nice feature that I'm glad I have and it was an easy DIY.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
I installed one on the truck long ago primarily to aid in hitching the trailer. I had been considering a new one to mount on top of the boat trailer to make it easier to back into it's very tight spot. Now that I have the camper, perhaps I'll look into one to mount over the back door so I can see behind me easier. Need to find one that is preferably wireless to make it easier to connect it.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have several cameras though it's a system I pieced together and have added to over the years so can't provide links. I have 2 rear cameras, one looking down for backing up, the other looking rearward. I also have a camera mounted on the passenger side of the camper. I travel solo and this covers the passenger side blind spot, both for lane changes or when pulling out at angled intersections and backing out of parking spaces like at rest areas where they want you to pull in at an angle. I'll be honest, I like the field of view from the passenger camera so much I'll probably add one to the driver's side. I initially tried wireless but kept having reception problems at the worst times so I went wired. I took the easy way and have connectors at a cabinet near the pass through window then run the wire through the pass through and above the truck headliner to the displays.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
jdcellarmod wrote:
Hi all,

Anybody use one? If so, Is it beneficial? Main reason to have one is to keep an eye on vehicles. Using it for backing up would come in handy.

Thanks, Jeff D

I bought this wireless pair from Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM58K2W

It was relatively cheap and easy to install. Works fine and also has a record function. Whatever you get, make sure to caulk around the cable entry of the camera if you point one of the cameras straight down.

I find it very beneficial when driving and backing up. But I still use my mirrors, turn my head and change lanes slowly.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel