cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recaulking the camper

djg
Explorer
Explorer
Been on top of camper all caulking looks in real good condition, always stored in doors out of the weather. Bought new in 2015 asking if you would recaulk or not, still have inside storage in the barn, camper is all aluminum no wood to rot so even if there is a leak it should not cause a problem, it's a livin lite camplite TC just wondering what others would do.

Dave
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel
6 REPLIES 6

djg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies they seem to go either way so may be i'll just have a better look and figure it out from there I have lots of time being retired so i'll just have to see if this is the year to do it

Dave
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most caulks have life expectancies of 20 years up to even 50 years. The issue is rarely failure of the caulk but flexing of the RV. If the caulk is good with no signs of deterioration or cracking, I cannot imagine replacing the caulk by trying to remove the old caulk, cleaning the surface and replacing the caulk. Lots and lots of work. You might add new caulk on top of the old but that is also rarely worth it and you might cover up a problem that needs to be dealt with.

Instead, I recommend a thorough inspection. By thorough, I mean every square inch, every seam, especially around running lights, windows, every screw head, etc. Rather than just recaulk perfectly good caulking, spend the time on inspecting once or twice a year.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have time, it won't hurt anything to recaulk. It will just give you a bit more time before leaks which could be good. You might not have time next year or the next to do it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

EricCO
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bit like asking if some left overs in the fridge are still good, which always ruins any chance I have of enjoying it.

My OCD kicks in if I start wondering if the caulking on the camper roof is still good.

Next thing you see me doing is re-caulking the camper. Which I did last December.

I suggest redoing it to make sure. 🙂
2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD 2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra 2018 Keystone Cougar 29BHS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My 32' 5th wheel trailer/rubber roof is a '98 model. I do a quick roof sealant/roof fixtures R&R as needed in the spring and in the fall just before I winterize for its 5-6 months winter sleep.
The roof sealant did great till '08 when sealant around the bath room skylight started coming loose in one 10" long piece (no leaks). I pulled all that was loose and used self leveling Dicor in those spots.
Years later the front cap/roof sealant showed small cracking. Removed what was loose and more Dicor self leveling sealant in those spots. Thats all I've ever done to the roof sealant since the unit was new.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Caulk ages out like tires. After seven years I’d redo.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad