Did you mean: 

Recommend a HTT for a family

Veik
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
looking for recommendation on a hybrid.
Two adults, two small kids (2 and 6)

I will be towing with a Tundra (which can pull 6500-10,000#, depending on engine size)

We need 2+ beds, dinning area and ideally...a couch bed.
A/C is a must.

I have been looking at used Forest River Shamrock and Roo and Kodiak

What would you recommend? The smaller the better...within reason
35 REPLIES 35

johnsoax
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
A slightly older discussion, I know. But I wanted to add my $0.02. We just got a Jayco 26L and we are loving it. We have 4 kids, and this has quad bunks in the back. And it's been raining for the past several hours and we all "survived" inside the unit during that time. Kitchen is a little small and I wish it had a "master bedroom", but for the size and price, we are happy.

That floor plan is the first HTT that I have seen that I could like.

That is really interesting. What is the tongue rating on that trailer?
Alex Johnson
1996 Coleman Cheyenne
2006 Land Rover LR3 SE
2 adults, 4 kids (10 and under) and a dog

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
we have a KZ 16RBT. I think the 18RBT or maybe the 19BH (bunk house) or BHS would be a great choice for you - see this page of floorplans.

http://www.kz-rv.com/sportsmen-classic/floorplans.html

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Our family of six has done well in our Trail Lite 19 B. We tow with a mini van and needed alot of space for little weight. Have had the unit 12 years and it is serving us well considering we camp most of the year. Not really a hybrid fan due to tent ends needing to be set up to dry out at home and the inability to block out noise from neighbors unless we run a fan. Still it has it's up side
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry........already posted

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
A slightly older discussion, I know. But I wanted to add my $0.02. We just got a Jayco 26L and we are loving it. We have 4 kids, and this has quad bunks in the back. And it's been raining for the past several hours and we all "survived" inside the unit during that time. Kitchen is a little small and I wish it had a "master bedroom", but for the size and price, we are happy.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Love our Jack & Jill bunks in the back with flip out in the front (model number in sig). Sleeps 5 comfortably even when closed. Easy to tow, only 21ft so very easy to get into campgrounds, even last minute. 2-3 bunk models are very spacious, but hard to turtle, which we do quite a bit of.
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

campgrl
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a brand new Jayco 23B for $16,900 from a dealer in Grand Rapids, MI. We have had a PUP, 29 ft Travel Trailer, and the last four years, 32 ft fifth wheel. We love the 23B. Has more countertop space than our 32 ft fifth wheel, and a slide out with jackknife sofa. Two queen tent ends, and large u shaped dinette that makes into a bed. Your kids are still little and may not mind sleeping in the same bed. Mine did when they were little (16 and 11 now) and we had a PUP. We are very happy with the amount of storage in this unit as well. This unit has a dry weight of 3900 and is 24 ft. They are asking quite a bit for a 2010. I would talk them down seeing you could get a brand new Jayco for around the same price. Heck, come to Grand Rapids for a great deal on a new one!

Jayco also has another floor plan that has three tent beds but you are giving up the u shaped dinette and for regular dinette slide out and the sofa is a bit smaller. We always liked the larger dinette so we aren't smoothed together like a normal one does.

Both floor plans have plenty of room because of the slide outs.

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Starcraft 239tbs and absouloutly love it. It's extremely roomy inside and can sleep 10 "comfortably". I say it like that because while 2 adults fit in the queen fold downs fine, the dinnet and couch are better suited towards maybe 2 children each. My feet hang off the end of our couch when it's in "bed mode" lol!! We have 3 fold down queen beds, plus the couch folds out into a bed then the classic table dinnet bed.

As to the noise, it's not bad, but we are used to using a PuP in the past so it's no different. The canvas ends are secured the whole way around the bottom so really no big threat of water seepage.

Good luck in your decision!!
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Veik wrote:
What do you guys use for towing your HTT?

Depends on the HTT.

My smaller Starcraft 18SB towed fine behind my Chevy Traverse (v6-5200lb tow rating). I probably could have gone a little heavier and still stayed within safe weights.

One of the larger hybrids with a slide, probably not so much though.

Jon
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
The most common tow vehicle is a v-8 truck or SUV.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Veik
Explorer
Explorer
What do you guys use for towing your HTT?

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24394252.cfm

StarCraft Vs Jayco 2010 in the heat of the repression.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
I have a 2008 starcraft travelstar sport 21rbh, similar model even rarer is the star stream 22rbh.

These were the last of the StarCraft brand before the economy tanked and Jayco took over the name and ditched the iconic Travelstars and Antiquas.

That's strange...I have an "iconic" 2012 Travelstar.

I really like my Starcraft...it's well built and my layout (187TB) is great for a smaller trailer. We're starting season 3 with it next weekend!
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Veik
Explorer
Explorer
Well thats asking price, will have to haggle ))