cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendation needed for first camper trailer

mcblake
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase my first camper trailer, hoping to get some advice.

My vehicle is a 2020 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel, towing capacity is 5000lbs.

My must haves are: Bunks, kitchen, full bath, a full bed, outdoor kitchen, outdoor shower, awning and pass through storage. Looking to keep it under $15,000. I have looked at 2019 Coachmen Apex Nano 208 BHS it is in my price range, but may be pushing my towing capacity?

Any advice or recommendations would be truly appreciated!!!
24 REPLIES 24

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Still may not be under your payload. Which is?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mcblake
Explorer
Explorer
ok, sounds like I will be over weight with that camper....
I have also looked at this one: Coachmen Apex Nano 194BHS, this one is about 3500 pounds and it checks all the boxes. Problem is I can not find any used (pretty sure its new in 2021). It's over my budget of 15k, any suggestion to keep me under that and my weight restrictions?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
10-1 you are overweight on something (tow rating, payload, rear axle rating, etc...)

Can you do it anyway? Sure but it won't be a fun ride. Unless you are obsessive about keeping the weight down, you will likely be closer to the 6000lb GVWR.

And as cekkk said, you will be hitting the bump stops in the rear.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
10-1 you are overweight on something (tow rating, payload, rear axle rating, etc...)

Can you do it anyway? Sure but it won't be a fun ride. Unless you are obsessive about keeping the weight down, you will likely be closer to the 6000lb GVWR.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
That's not match up in my book, because you're truck has a payload of 13 to 1550 pounds. When you hook that trailer up to that truck your tongue weight is going to be well over 600 pounds. If you are not overweight sitting in the driveway, you're certainly not going to have a good cushion. You can't rely on the published weights of either the truck or the trailer. The good news is you are doing your homework. Keep it up.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Still no payload number and no weight of four people, two dogs and some gear. ๐Ÿ˜ž

While your Colorado can โ€œpullโ€ the trailer, can it carry the weight?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mcblake
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 4 people will be in truck (2 adults 2 children). Not so much in the bed, its only 5' maybe 2 dogs and some gear. GVWR is 6k,the type of towing will be hills and mountains, some flats. No dirt bikes or quads. The bunks will be for my kids.
KD$UPL the standard Colorado is 7k towing, ZR2 is 5k

thank you both for your insight and wisdom!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I really thought the diesel Colorado had a higher tow rating than that.
Keep in mind their are many kinds of trailers and a hard sided travel trailer is by far the most difficult to tow. A truck that may be well suited to tow a 5,000 pound boat may be a struggling handful with a 4,000 pound travel trailer.
The dry weight of a trailer doesn't include water, propane, or a battery. You then have to add all of your food and gear.
If your tow rating really is 5,000 and the trailer really is 4,000 pounds dry then I would say you have too much trailer for that truck.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Did Chevy offer a towing package as an option and do you have it installed ?

Unloaded that trailer weighs 4000 lbs. You might be surprised how fast you can add 1000 lbs ! The other big issue is what are you going to have in the truck. 4 people ? How much in the bed ? What is the GVWR for the truck and the GCVWR (truck and trailer) ?

The other big factor is type of towing. Flat, hills or mountains ?

Yes, you are borderline, but it is doable. Just watch what heavy object you plan to add (no dirt bikes or quads).

P.S. Those "double" bunks will hold 2 people shorter than 5'4" and less than 125 lbs.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is the Coloradoโ€™s payload max? What weight will you carry in the truck...people, pets, stuff?

Unfortunately you violated the rule..buy or select the TT first. Then match a TV to it.

Yes, with that TT weighing 3948 dry, loaded and wet youโ€™ll be over 5000 pounds. Full fresh water alone will be 825 pounds.