cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator cooling fan

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
My refrigerator has always worked very well. But then we camp mostly in the Adirondacks where it never gets truly hot. Last week, however, we camped in the Thousand Islands and the temperature climbed into the high ninety's. The refrigerator did not cool well at all. I know an external fan can be used to cool the rear coils, but when I look back there space is very tight. Has anyone inalled one of these fans, and can you offer any tips on how you managed to work back there and get the fan secured in the correct location.
16 REPLIES 16

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I learned a lot from this thread! Thank you! 🙂
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Just ordered myself a set of 140mm Noctua 24v fans, IP67 industrial service rated, nearly 300 cfm each at full power.

Good grief Charlie Brown. Be careful with those. You'll be sucking the windows out....:E
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Son of Norway wrote:

Where can I get something like that?

That's a temperature controller, they're commonly used for home-brew, or industrial things. The specific one in the previous post is $18 from Amazon
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Son of Norway wrote:

Where can I get something like that?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered myself a set of 140mm Noctua 24v fans, IP67 industrial service rated, nearly 300 cfm each at full power.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I guess I got a good one then, In 110* temps it kept food cold and frozen food frozen. The only real issue I had was the high altitude in Utah kept snuffing the LP, so had to run on electric. However, if I ever do run into this on another trailer, there are some great pointers here in this thread, except the one with the exposed fans on the roof, how do you keep the refer dry? You really don't want to get the coils or burner area wet.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
What really determines the overall cooling efficiency of any absorbtion type fridge is that ability for the coils in the rear cavity to exchange their heat with the ambient air flow.

Consequently, if little natural airflow is present you have to artificially provide the air flow.

If the upper vent is on the roof and the lower (intake) vent is low down on the side of the unit, natural convection takes place (draft / warm air rises and is replaced with cooler air). However, if the fridge is in a slide (as is common today), the spacing between the upper vent and the lower vent isn't all that great, consequently there is little natural convection (draft) and cooling suffers because the coils cannot rid themselves of the heat and for the thermosiphon principle to work, the warmed by the boiler fluid must be cooled off.

Consequently, a fan or two, place in the upper vent area (blowing out) or in the lower vent area (blowing up) always improves the heat exchange and makes the fridge more efficient.

Only issue with placing a fan(s) in the lower vent area is you don't want to disturb the small flame that provides heat for the boiler.

Also important is the amount of insulation around the fridge unit between the fridge itself and the framing / walls. RV manufacturers really skimp on that and the more there is, the better because an ammonia fridge, even when working properly isn't all that efficient so mitigating any cold to warm heat exchange between the fridge box and the walls is also important.

My unit, when I brought it home and took the vent covers off, was almost devoid of insulation between the fridge and the walls. I was able to stuff, almost a full roll of R12 unfaced insulation, between the fridge and the walls. Took some doing with a long wood stick and time but it's doable. Made a huge difference in the fridge getting cold quicker and maintaining the cold.

On fans, Dometic supplies some of their units with a 120mm muffin fan mounted in the upper cavity (mine had one), absolutely the cheapest fan available. A sleeve bearing model that sounded like a chainsaw when running. I replaced that with a pair of FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing) CPU cooling (120mm) muffin fans, 2 wire. Don't get a 3 wire fan, the 3rd wire is to allow the CPU to control fan speed and is not needed.

My unit already had a snap disc thermostat affixed to the upper condenser fin so I just wired both fans through that. It closes at 110 degrees and opens at 90, perfect for the fans. Both fans pull a bit less than 1.2 amps so I put an inline fuse (2 amp) in the circuit as well.

I want the fans to run automatically, less switches for me, the better.

Another good way to enhance the cooling is install a fan inside the fridge to circulate the cold. They are available on Flea bay pretty cheap. Cold air movement inside is just as important as air movement over the coils in the back of the unit. In my case, I try to keep the fridge full and open the door as little as possible.

I will say that when this one ever expires (if it ever does), I'll replace it with a Danfoss Compressor fridge which is much more efficient than a conventional residential type compressor fridge (draws much less power).

We have a portable Dometic fridge / freezer right now and it's a wonderful unit to keep in the truck to keep pop cold and make ice cubes in or keep ice cream rock hard.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just bought a new Tt and have not even fired up the refrigerator other than to test it. Our last TT had no problem keeping meat frozen in the freezer even in 95 degree heat. i will have to check this frig and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the information.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good setup, Son of Norway.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted mine using a couple of pieces of 1 x 1/8 aluminum flat bar. I bent each flat bar about 30 degrees about 1 inch from the end I screwed to the wood framing for the vent cover in the trailer wall. Air comes in through the louvers and is directed at the coils.

I used a 120mm x 120mm fan that moves about 80 cfm. I added a switch and tapped the 12v connections for the fridge for power where the plug into the fridge controls.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to post this as a project but didn't get around to it yet. This assembly just sits on the reefer roof vent and the vent cover screws down over it. It's made with three 12-volt computer fans and a polystyrene cutting board. The fans are 120mm. You can size the amp rating of the fans as you desire, keeping in mind how much battery drain you want to tolerate. Run the wires down to the circuit board.

Add one of these to turn the fans on and off according to the temps that you set

I didn't take any scientific measurements but can tell you that my reefer now passes the ice cream test with flying colors. My feeble hands were overcome and I had to ask my wife to scoop it out for me.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a laptop cooling fan just below the top vent cover, wired into the dc terminal in the outside panel . I then intalled a lit toggle switch just above the frig inside. Quiet, can't here it, and compartment thermometer confirms it lowers cavity temperature on a hot day.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better directed airflow when fan install near top

Fan PULLS cooler air in via bottom vent cover up thru absorber tubes then across condenser fins and hotter air exhausted out top vent

12V DC available at fridge DC terminal block/circuit board
Can use a t-stat to start/top fans or manual on/off switch
Use a 1A in line fuse on DC POS wire
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back from the Texas gulf coast a few weeks ago and had the same problem with the fridge and high outside temps. I purchased a blower fan and installed it in the lower outside fridge access area. Connected it to the 12v supply line and used Velcro to attach it. When I checked the top vent outside, I could feel the air flow but I have not been camping again, so I don't know if this will be enough. The fan is 75mm x 30mm 7530 12V Dual Ball Bearing DC Brushless Cooling Blower Fan AV-F7530MB UL CE and I bought it on Amazon for about $9. According to all that I have read, if you can feel the air flow at the top, then it should lower the temp inside the fridge.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B