cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace Bushings in Leaf Springs?

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 Suburban 2500 has worn/rotted bushings in the leaf springs. Should I get these replaced before we move to a heavier TT? Would it be cheaper or better to just replace the springs (and maybe add an extra)?

Our current TT is 6,000 GVWR and we’re looking at a 34’, 9,995 GVWR.

Thanks
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thought about this thread today when I looked at, and bought, a 34 year old pickup.
3/4 ton Chevy, camper package coincidentally, and it is setup for hauling a TC, which it did in a previous life. And evidenced by the flattened ribs on the truck bed floor being the only appreciable damage to the bed, it was a heavy camper and it was on that truck for more than a little bit.

The spring bushings "look" cracked. But it's tight. No noise over bunks and the springs are hard as a rock and still have all their original arch.

Unless the OPs truck has been beat like a pack mule its whole life, the springs are more than likely just fine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
mrgrim007 wrote:
My 2002 Suburban 2500 has worn/rotted bushings in the leaf springs. Should I get these replaced before we move to a heavier TT? Would it be cheaper or better to just replace the springs (and maybe add an extra)?

Our current TT is 6,000 GVWR and we’re looking at a 34’, 9,995 GVWR.

Thanks

While the exposed ends of the bushings probably look cracked and bad, I'll bet the rubber further in is perfect. If you want to do something, as already noted, get polyurethane bushings if they are available.

Unless you have been hauling heavy loads, the leaf springs are probably in excellent condition. I have seen the 2500 spring pack, co-worker shopped for a year for a 2500 4wd 8.1 combo. Ended up getting one in Austin. That thing is a hauling beast. His is an '05 with the air shock system and 4.10 gears. Hauled a '70 charger on a trailer back from Indiana to Atlanta and said he could not even feel the trailer back there.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI, the secondary fuel tank must be removed to get the shackle bolt that holds the spring on the RR shackle out. Little known fact the 8.1L Suburbans have 2 fuel tanks, both with electric in-tank pumps.

In the 200-2005 years GM used uncoated steel brake and fuel lines, and if you live in a state that likes salt and film spray on the roads, they will rust away and fail. I replaced mine in 2013 with a set of pre-bent stainless brake and fuel lines from Classic Tube. Good PM to change the fuel pumps while the tanks are out, and to your point, change those shackle bushings.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
Just replace the bushings, not a big job. Etrailer and Dyers both sell them as well as other places. A lot of times the originals may be plastic/nylon and if so replace them with brass bushings or something newer.

Motor vehicles don't use nylon or brass bushings in the leaf springs.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
K-9, X2 but not for my Sub yet

All springs wear out over time....most don't keep their vehicles long enough to experience it...also depends how they are used

Overloading and hard usage will greatly decrease their lifespan

Very true. Have broken more then one set as well.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I spent $742 at a spring shop, reaching and adding a leaf, last fall and a week later i saw I could have gotten new progressive spring packs from Carli or Thuren for $450. I don't have very much experience with TTs but I would think a weight distribution hitch rated for the trailer weight would take care of it. If your suburban has ratings High enough for the TT you want you could always get that TT and then see if the springs need any work. It still wouldn't hurt to replace your bushings with urethane but I'd wait until I know about the springs . Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I spent $742 at a spring shop, reaching and adding a leaf, last fall and a week later i saw I could have gotten new progressive spring packs from Carli or Thuren for $450. I don't have very much experience with TTs but I would think a weight distribution hitch rated for the trailer weight would take care of it. If your suburban has ratings High enough for the TT you want you could always get that TT and then see if the springs need any work. It still wouldn't hurt to replace your bushings with urethane but I'd wait until I know about the springs . Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good to ask, but replacing the springs is not a periodic service requirement.
Hard to compare to “new” so to speak so it is a bit subjective and you don’t mention total miles and how much “work” it’s done.
But assuming 150-200k miles, mostly unloaded with even say 20-30% towing a modest trailer (And if with a wdh it puts even less stress on the springs), the rear springs should not be anywhere near wore out.

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses! I’m not sure if I need new leaf springs or not. They look fine to me - they’re not broken and everything seems fine while towing my current trailer. But that could change if I go to a heavier trailer, which is what I’m worried about.

We’ve already rebuilt the tranny about 1.5 years ago, I rebuilt the front end last year, new tires, etc. So I guess we’re just gonna keep this thing going.

I wasn’t sure if this was something I should just do, given the age of the Suburban - meaning, it’s a 2002, and maybe leaf springs or bushings should be changed not matter what?

I’m OK with putting more money into because it’s a lot cheaper than a new truck!
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's dependent on whether the springs are getting sacked out or not. "Most" trucks, unless used regularly for heavy work, don't really wear out their leaf springs. I can think of exactly 2 trucks out of dozens that have needed new leaf springs over the years.
Now if the new trailer will ovepower the stock springs, that is another concern. Add a leaf, add helpers, airbags, air shocks, Timbrens, etc etc, the options besides replacing a perfectly good spring pack are numerous.

If the bushings are destroyed and sloppy, replace 'em. If they're just showing cracking, so are the ones on most every truck out there over 10-15 years old, towing stuff daily. I wouldnt replace them unless they're worn.
Putting money into an old truck, presuming you own an old truck for economic reasons, should be considered carefully.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
K-9, X2 but not for my Sub yet

All springs wear out over time....most don't keep their vehicles long enough to experience it...also depends how they are used

Overloading and hard usage will greatly decrease their lifespan
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Having done both complete spring replacements and adding leaves in the past id vote for replacing the whole thing. Not sure if your doing the job yourself if so they are not that bad to swap out. Doing some checking for your vehicle they have 2500# and 3100# choices. Price difference is only 22 bucks. They even have a 3500# spring for armored burbs.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
I too was going to suggest just replacing the entire spring, until I saw the price of a Complete new spring. Yep, that's $350 PER SIDE!!!!

I had a spring shop add a leaf to my old E150. Less than $200 installed.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
I too was going to suggest just replacing the entire spring, until I saw the price of a Complete new spring. Yep, that's $350 PER SIDE!!!!

For bushings you're looking at about $40 per side in parts. If you do the work yourself that's super cheap. Even if you hire a shop that's maybe 2 hours of work so parts and labor you're maybe into this for $400 total. That's a heck of lot better than $700 just for the springs.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!