cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing 2 of 4 tires on a TT question

Caryite
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 ft TT (7500 GVWR, though I'm not usually over 6K-6.5K lbs) with 4 Maxxis ST205/75R 14 LR C tires (all 4 always at 50 psi per specs).

The front axle had 2 Maxxis from 2012, and the back axle had 2 of the same type from late 2016 (installed early 2017).

This past weekend, I lost one of the 2012's at the very end of a 225 mile trip. Fortunately, I was going very slow at the time after 60 down the interstate for much of the trip, and there was no TT damage other than the tire being flat. I'm now ready to replace that and the other 2012 Maxxi on the other side on the front axle.

My question is after reading the MANY threads here on the newer Good Year Endurance/Carlisle Radial Tires/Maxxis M8008 (now with LR D in my size) is which would make the most sense to get with the back 2 2016 tires, that I don't plan on replacing?

While I would like to get the GY Endurance tires (LR D), would it make sense to get a different set of tires on one axle at 65 psi, and still keep my Maxxis on the other only at 50 psi (LR C)?

I suppose I could always get 2 more of the same LR C Maxxis tires to also inflate to 50 psi to replace the 2 from 2012, and perhaps that would make the towing the most consistent?

I've only traveled 3500 miles on the new 2016 tires and they look perfectly fine, so I'd hate to just scrap those, but overall thoughts are welcome.

All things being equal, I'd be getting the Endurance after reading about those in many threads here, but I want to match the tires as best as possible for the expected life of the 2016 tires.

Maybe my next set of tires after 4-5 years from now can all be the same?

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

camping_cowleys
Explorer
Explorer
I did this exact thing on our vacation last year. 1000 miles into our trip I had 2 GY Marathons LR D go bad on me. Belts separated but no blowouts. Had 2 new GY Endurance LR E installed and put another 2000 miles on during that trip. Finished the summer of 2017 and traveled all of 2018 with that arrangement and no problems. I think the other Marathons will age out this year and plan to replace them with the endurance next spring.
John,Carol
Sarah,Rachel, JJ
2005 YukonXL 2500 8.1 4.10
2008 Sunnybrook 298BH

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Unless one has hard engineering data supporting installing wheels/tires that exceed the designed and rated axle weights IMO doesn't make sense. For many light and ultra light wt trailers with 3500lb axles putting tires that are rated over 3500lbs is not really needed. I understand why one would try and point to the age old "reserve capacity" concept, but I'm not sure how valid that is today.

I have never seen any valid and documented studies on this area and I personally can only see it being possibly beneficial if one encounters a road hazard like "curbing" or hitting a pothole where a much higher capacity tire might not be as damaged as a lighter tire.

I have for over 25,000 miles on this trailer run my tires to within 25 to 50lbs of their max load carrying capacity and have seen ZERO adverse effects. That is only a data set of one, but is one I know is good and all that is using the dreaded "china bomb" GY Marathon trailer tires. The only issue I have seen is the one set of Kumho 857s tires that had that extra capacity of over 300lbs per tire load carrying capacity where I lost three of them within 500 miles of each other from tread separation and sidewall bulging and they were less than 4 years old and only had around 5,000 miles use on them and had been running with over 300lbs excess load capacity per tire.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend in his 70s has been camping for years, he replaces two tires every two years, always keeps the best for spare of old tires. Also has bearings repacked while wheels are off.. Never had tire problem on trailer and he doesn't have to pay for 4 tires all at once..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Most will say everything must match. I don't buy that it will make any difference. Get the pair of Endurance this year and replace the other pair in a few years if that is what the budget allows.

^This.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I'd buy a 30' TT that only had 14" wheels. That manufacturer is cutting corners, and if it is cutting corners with equipment that easily viewable, where else is the manufacturer cutting corners.

deltabravo wrote:
I'd upgrade to 15s or 16s as well.
Mind boggling that a 30' TT has 14" wheels / tires on it.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'd upgrade to 15s or 16s as well.
Mind boggling that a 30' TT has 14" wheels / tires on it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
I would bite the bullet and replace all 4 with the GY Endurance in LRD's and get on down the road.

And I would upgrade to 15" tires and wheels.

Steel wheels are pretty cheap from www.etrailer.com

Sell your current tires and wheels on Craigslist
Bob

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Most will say everything must match. I don't buy that it will make any difference. Get the pair of Endurance this year and replace the other pair in a few years if that is what the budget allows.

This is what I would do too.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There is a new school of thought (also indicated on MichelinRVTires.com) that the spare should be included in the tire rotation because a tire that is not used deteriorates faster than those that are used. I carry two spares and rotate all six tires every two years.
Overkill? perhaps, and they are Michelin XPS ribs that require 80 psi.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I ran new ST Maxxis tires on one axle and new LT Nexan tires on the other axle for 18 months to see which set lasted longer. Lt tires are still fine after another 18 months and the ST tires developed bulges after a couple of hot summer drives. I now run all LT tires. I realize in your tire size that may not be a good option, but if you can find LT tires with a weight rating that matches your load then I would buy them.

BTW I did not notice any handling/wear difference between the LT and ST tires while they were both on the 5er. There is about 75lbs difference between my front and rear axle weights when loaded and I put the LT tires on the slightly heavier front axle.
Turret Class traveler

Caryite
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Replace all 4. Take the best of the newest as a spare. You had a blow out on a tire a year beyond reasonable life expentency. Trailer tires regardless of brand are only good for 5 years. After that your playing with a loaded gun.

Thanks all for the replies. I should have mentioned that I opted to buy a new Power King Tow (Blow) Max to get home in the same tire size and 50 PSI, because I didn't want to run on my older original bias ply spare for over 200 miles. I plan to use that tire for my spare going forward and have that one moved when I get the 2 new tires for my front axle.

I don't think I will go with a different tire using a different PSI, even if on a different axle.

I would be fine with two more LR C Maxxis and replace all 4 after another 4 years. By then, we'll see which tire(s) are the most recommended.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Load Range C tires may be within specifications but they werenโ€™t in my comfort zone with a 5200 pound TT wet and loaded. And TT tires six years old? Not me again. I replace at least every four years...LR Ds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Its been my experience its not a good idea to mix 50 psi tires on one axle and 65 psi on the other.
The biggest downside is braking imbalance between the front and rear axle especially on wet pavement.
Now add the difference in tire tread pattern which also can lead to the same braking imbalance issues.

Now if you have a lawn service trailer/utility trailer and most if not all the miles of service are around town then mixing load ranges and tread patterns isn't so much of a big deal. Hell many of those type don't have their brakes hooked up anywayz.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides