cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road tripping Yosemite in a winter storm

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sometimes you get an urge to do something and even though common sense is screaming at you that this might not be the wisest time to go and you say what the heck, we planned on cold and snow and the forecast is just for colder and more snow. We had a blast

The genesis for the trip actually occurred while strolling the aisles of Costco and spying, then buying, two sets of snowshoes and poles. Now all we need is to go camping when there is snow. That insightfull stimuli which set everything in motion.

I had been insulating the water system, making foam cutouts to cover all the windows, vents, hatches, and skylights. I had a third 20# propane tank to take along. Now all we needed was a date.

Sometimes things just happen. My drivers Lic. needed to be renewed and the only appointment I could get before it expired was a Friday at mid morning, how convenient for an early Friday getaway. It helps that I drive for a living and that the boss knew I needed to renew it so I got Friday, December the 6th off work.

So we loaded up the toys , food, cameras and got ready to go. Then the Weather forecast which had been for temps in the low 20s and 3-4 days of snow, changed to 2-3 days of snow, high winds and 12-14 inches of snow with temps below zero....Hmmn I thought about not going to Yosemite, but my wife, the hard core one said: nonsense figure out how to protect the plumbing and lets go.

So I drained all the water out of the TC added a gallon of Antifreeze to the black and the grey tanks and loaded up 10 gallons of drinking water in jugs.

Had the DMV stuff done by 11:15 and we were on the road by 1pm headed for Yosemite. We stopped at Bass Pro in Manteca to pick up some nicer insulated gloves and headed on down the road to beat the storm to Yosemite.

Late Afternoon and we entered the foothills on hwy 140 from Merced, you could tell it was going to be a race between us and the front to the valley

We made a quick stop at the hardware store in Mariposa to pick up a weather station with a wireless outside sensor so we could know how bad it was going to get.

We reached Yosemite just after dark due to a slight delay ant the one lane bridge at the rockslide on 140

the temp was 29*, paid for our 2014 all parks pass at the Arch Rock entrance station above El Portal and continued in the Valley at 4000 feet. The main road had some nice icy sections so I found myself switching in and out of 4x4.

We ended up in side 73 of the Upper Pines campground where we did a quick level, walk the dogs, make dinner and engoyed some beer before calling it a night.

Around 9pm we started hear the storm. At first it was the sounds of ice crystals hitting the skylights and the wind then everything got muffled by the snow. At 3am we were awakened by a loud whump of snow hitting the camper. I assumed it was a tree branch unloading on us. Nope it turned out to be the nose of the lance unloading onto the hood of the truck

there was nothing on the table when we went to sleep

The dogs had a blast

Then came round two of the storm

So of course we strapped on the snowshoes and headed over to Campground Reservations at Curry Village to pay our site fees, it was 15*

at times you could see a mile at other times maybe 50 feet with howling winds and blowing snow, we were having a blast.

Washington Cloumn

North Dome

Yosemite Falls

Glacier Point

The clouds parted and there was Half Dome

Time to eat lunch and charge up the TC Batteries after snowshoeing for 2.5 hours

After luch we strapped the snowshoes back on and headed up to Mirror Lake

The Merced river was frozen over

Me with Tenaya Creek in the background

from a ice and snow covered Mirror lake looking at Mt Watkins

Ruth breaking trail on the way back towards the campsite

We had about 20 minutes of light left when we reached the plowed roads which by now were sheets of ice so we decided to take off the snow shoes and put our ice tracks on the boots for the final 2 miles back to the truck so we would not run out of light. this is what they are

Thats when disaster struck. I kick myself for not checking Ruths gear after she put her's on, but hindsight is 20-20. One of her ice tracks failed and she fell. She knew the Fibula was broken right away but got to her feet siad the heck with it lets go, and with me carrying all the gear and help her she limped the mile back to the truck. My wife is one tough woman she gritted her way back, would not let me take her to valley EMS. She just said grab your gear splint it, wrap it, ice it elevate and get me a beer. so I did.

The temps dropped into the single digits that night. We were warm and toasty, the foam panels made it so we had no condensation, and my splint job let Ruth sleep soundly

The next morning after coffee I packed everything up, put on the chains, helped Ruth to the front seat of the truck and we drove out of the valley over very icy roads with an eventual destinaion of the ER at Kaiser Modesto

We took photos all the way and the chains stayed on until after the Arch Rock entrance station

Yosemite Falls

The Merced

the nose of El Capitan

90% ICE, I was really glad to have chains on the rear tires going downhill

Back at the one lane bridge on hwy 140

We stopped and had Breakfast at the Miners Cafe in Mariposa then continued on down the road

Watching the last Icicles melt off the mirror

At the ER. Xrays showed a non displaced fracture of the distal head of the Fibula. They splinted it and today an orthopedist put a cast on for 3 weeks

Ruth is already planning our next trip from when the cast is off. I picked the right woman, or was it she picked me?
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
41 REPLIES 41

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Your TR is a perfect example of how a well-matched couple with a well-equipped TC and excellent outdoor skills can have a wonderful time in spite of weather and injuries. You survived and shared your great story with us.

Other less-skilled and less-fortunate people would be out there lost somewhere, making newspaper headlines and experience for rescue teams.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
She is a keeper!

It's hard enough to get my wife to go camping in the summer. She looked at this posting and told me "that weather is why they have hotels".

Great report. I hope your better half makes a speedy recovery

Bill

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip and photos. We would go out more often then we do in the winter but Michigan LOVES to lay down a nice thick layer of salt on the roads even if it only LOOKS like it may snow.

Sometimes at night when it's real quiet I can hear the rusted metal falling off my truck and landing on the driveway.:(
Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful - pretty extreme camping, and Ruth is seriously tough!

Cheers,

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome pics!
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry to hear of the fracture, but glad it turned out not-so-bad. Hope she heals up fast and without complications.

As for "I picked the right woman, or was it she picked me?" I can only say it is a wise man who accepts that she picked you, and that you got lucky, and that indeed, she's the right one. A wiser man makes sure she knows you know.

Thanks for the trip report and for the photos. Good job.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
A great adventure, and outstanding winter pictures. Heel quickly, Ruth.
Cal

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry about the leg and hope for a speedy recovery. That looks like an excellent trip. You have been doing a great job of getting out and doing things for this time of year and thanks for the much appreciated trip reports.

raymondmom
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful pictures!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
if you want to see all the photos in full size rather that the reduced forum size go to the slideshow> http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Eric1218/slideshow/2013%20Photographs/Yosemite%20Dec
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Gamagoat
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip report. Thanks for sharing
06 Silverado HD2500 DA/CC/SB/LT3
Line X/Timbren/Rancho 9000x/Bodiak Front Hitch/Reese Tow Beast Class V with 24" Stinger
06 Lance 845/Honda EU2000

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
all in all it was a good trip. Those are Ruths' sentiments. We got in 6 hours of snowshoeing, had the TC performing nicely and got to see Yosemite in a storm that only had a few hundred people in the Valley with us at the same time. High temps were in the mid 30s with a Low of 7 degrees. The chains from Les Schwab were the easiest I have ever installed. I got a kick out of seeing "Official" Chain installers charge folks at the Arch Rock Entrance on 140 to put on the chains for them. We can't wait to do it again