cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadside assistance GS failure

rix
Explorer
Explorer

Had a flat on our TT , pulled safely off the shoulder of the highway, contacted GS RSA , sent me a locator text that did not work, tried to call back and was stuck in their directory loop. Finally choose member services and finally was connected to a RSA agent. Took my information , gave me a claim number, and waited for the text message for service that never came, no phone call either. Waited another hour and still no communication! Since was in the Los Angeles area, called 511, freeway motorist assistance. Sent our a service truck in an hour, in the mean time, a CHP officer had stopped to assist. Service truck arrived and was back on the road in 4 hours. put the spare on, no cost. WHAT a Good Sam failure!!! Waiting to hear back from Marcus Lemonis about this. We have the RA Platinum Complete. If on Los Angeles county freeways, try 511, don't bother with a RSA.

9 REPLIES 9

gfmucci
Explorer
Explorer

From what I read here, the lines of communications were not made as clear as they should have been to communicate with each other in a timely manner.  Eg, wrong, old phone number, not making sure both parties had accurate contact information, location not precise enough.  When things get screwed up, there are typically multiple reasons for the snafu.

When I locked myself and dogs outside my Class C motorhome at a Pilot station, my phone and roadside assistance information were all inside the camper.  I had a AAA premium (or whatever they call the more expensive version).  So I borrowed the Pilot cashiers phone and spoke with AAA.  They would not help me, even though the locking system on the van was the same as on any Ford pickup truck - because it was a motorhome.  Picky b--t--ds.   So I paid the hundred bucks to solicit a locksmith on my own dime.  I'm switching to Good Sam out of spite.

So, the multiple screw ups that happened in my case were:

• Not keeping the camper keys on my person. Otherwise, the following chain of events would never had happened.
  • Locking the vehicle without checking for keys.
  • Failure to keep ALL of my camping insurance and roadside assistance info with me, either on my phone or paper copies. This would have avoided my attempted use of useless AAA.
  • Failure to take my phone with me when I exited the camper. Even if I didn't have all my emergency info on it, I could have found workarounds to find the needed help.
  • Failure to understand the terms of my AAA PLUS contract, believing simple lockout provisions would apply to ANY vehicle I was driving.
  • And the clincher: After being a AAA member for many years, having the same vehicle locking system as any other vehicle at the same cost for the locksmith, that I was refused coverage by AAAs hard-nosed, unforgiving policy, aka "fine print". Right.  My bad.

evanseegmiller
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @rix

Just wanted to follow up with you here. I have not heard back from you. If you couple please reply to my DM I can help you get further assistance. 

Hi, been busy. My post just about sums it up. I am in contact with an  Operations Coordinator from VIP., Mr Lemonis' office I presume. she is looking in to it. First repl was they tried to call an old landline number I had, Actually, AAA failed that day also, ( always have a backup, one is none... etc) Service truck cancelled after 1 hour and they could not find anyone for the rest of our time down. Interesting, saw the flatbed go by about 20 minutes later, but did not stop. Anyway, I do not know what is going to come out of all of this, hopefully no one else will be left stranded. I will DM you next week... Thank you so much all the concern.

Thank you @rix. I am glad you have been in contact with someone and if you need anything else please let me know. I am happy to escalate your information. 

evanseegmiller
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @rix

I just sent you a DM. If you could please respond and send me your information I will pass it along and someone will reach out to you within 24-48 hours. 

Thanks,

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

Normally no excuse is good when this happens. BUT! With all the landslides, flooding, etc., occurring in California, you may have been expecting too much this time. There literally was not enough help to cover everyone. 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Thank you for the reply. It was a bright, sunny , mid day, normal traffic. no rain for about 4-5 days. See my reply above.