cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Run the USA is what?

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have gone before us what is a good rig for a couple to run the USA in, as an example to see all the national parks etc? Maybe 2-3 week runs, not sure about timing, just tossing something out for discussion.

The flip side is we would use the rig to stay at mostly MN state parks with family and friends, so short 200 mile runs etc. With these run the 2 kids may join, may not who knows, they are college bound. One of the kids says he don't care and would be happy in a tent (I remember being like that 40 years ago!).

Don't think I want to get a bigger truck, we are rated just under 10,000# for the little 1/2 ton, based on past experience I don't want to be over 25', lighter the better, under 6,000# seems a good number to shoot for.

In the past we have had a couple of pop-ups, TT's, etc. Never had anything real big, always stayed around that 20' mark. Some of the best sites in our state you would never get a large rig in.

The above is more of a back story, sorry for making you all read it!

If selecting a camper for just in state use its fairly easy, if looking to the run the USA I'm not sure I want to pull a 20' rig around.

So for those who have done it what was your weapon of choice for running the country?

Maybe a TT is not a great option, but its all I really know, open to options.

Would be nice if the TT was small enough that I would not have to mess around with WDH's etc. Just quick hook up an go.

I have a little bit of pull from each direction for in state use vs running the country!

What say you?

Thanks in advanced.
31 REPLIES 31

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
We retired a couple of years ago. No problem finding spots Sunday thru Thursday. Much more relaxing without the crowds, screaming kids and barking dogs. We have also found a couple of very nice County parks nearby.

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
And our state parks are horrible so everyone should just stay home.

Funny part about this or maybe not so funny, have not been camping i
in about 10 years, kids were way to busy. It was tough getting spots then, my guess its a little more tougher now, looking foward to retirement, will be no problem during the week!

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
So maybe Iโ€™m dating myself but there was a time when an 18โ€™ trailer was considered big! Being in Anoka you are close to many of the bigger dealers. Time to take a look. Take some notes and use your phone for pictures. When we have it narrowed down to a couple of units we would send the salesman away and spend maybe 30 minutes just โ€œlivingโ€ in them. Best of luck. And our state parks are horrible so everyone should just stay home.

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
OleManOleCan wrote:
jay427 wrote:
afidel wrote:
Would be nice if the TT was small enough that I would not have to mess around with WDH's etc. Just quick hook up an go.

That's not really an option, my TT is only 18' and there's no way I would tow it without a WDH with sway control. Even behind a 2500 it moved around more than I liked and that was without wind or panic maneuvers. To each their own but I'd never tow a TT without sway control. That said putting the bars on or taking them off takes maybe 30s so it's not like it has any meaningful impact on our setup and tear down time.

I suppose it depends, our old 20' TT behind the our old 2009 2500hd did not care if the WDH was on or off. With the 1/2 ton we used the WDH half the time, less 100 miles runs I did not even mess with it. Each trailer does pull different for sure.

I get what you are saying about the time deal, it just seems like it takes forever when is raining out. I was using a Rigid Hitch and swore getting the bars on took a few minutes by the time I dug out the bar, set the pins, jack the trailer up to get the bars on, etc. Granted this was 7-8 years ago so my mind is foggy:)

When I had a 30' trailer I used WD bars.
Now I'm towing a 20' w/o bars.
My HD F-150 Echoboost is a beast for towing.
My camper only weighs 3300 lbs, and I'm using a Reese 6000# hitch.
Set it up right, put on E-rated tires. Pay attention to air in the tires,
and go, go, go. You also have to pay attention to weight in the bed of
the truck and how you load the trailer.
Years of towing make a big difference deciding when towing is set up
just right.

yep, that's about my experience as well. Based on our truck and previous TT's our 20' TT was a give and take with the WDH, we never pulled it over 300 miles and that would have been a long haul at that.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
jay427 wrote:
afidel wrote:

That's not really an option, my TT is only 18' and there's no way I would tow it without a WDH with sway control. Even behind a 2500 it moved around more than I liked and that was without wind or panic maneuvers. To each their own but I'd never tow a TT without sway control. That said putting the bars on or taking them off takes maybe 30s so it's not like it has any meaningful impact on our setup and tear down time.

I suppose it depends, our old 20' TT behind the our old 2009 2500hd did not care if the WDH was on or off. With the 1/2 ton we used the WDH half the time, less 100 miles runs I did not even mess with it. Each trailer does pull different for sure.

I get what you are saying about the time deal, it just seems like it takes forever when is raining out. I was using a Rigid Hitch and swore getting the bars on took a few minutes by the time I dug out the bar, set the pins, jack the trailer up to get the bars on, etc. Granted this was 7-8 years ago so my mind is foggy:)

When I had a 30' trailer I used WD bars.
Now I'm towing a 20' w/o bars.
My HD F-150 Echoboost is a beast for towing.
My camper only weighs 3300 lbs, and I'm using a Reese 6000# hitch.
Set it up right, put on E-rated tires. Pay attention to air in the tires,
and go, go, go. You also have to pay attention to weight in the bed of
the truck and how you load the trailer.
Years of towing make a big difference deciding when towing is set up
just right.

mnaquaman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Jayco 23BHM, it has a murphy bed up front and two smaller bunks in the rear that we use for storage. It is 23' on the inside with a slide-out dinette. We like the slide for the additional room that you get. The trailer feels much more open. I have added privacy curtains in the back so we can come out of the shower and change clothes without the world looking at us!

I don't think I really need anything bigger! It tows like a well with my 1/2 ton Chevy!

My best advise:
1. Shop around, walk & sit in lots of trailer, keep a list of what you like and don't like.

2. Don't feel bad, you might not make the right choice the first time! You can never know how it works until you use it!

Happy Camping & Save travels!
Randy & Sharon Engelland
Farmington, MN
2017 Jayco 23bhm
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
Our current trailer is an ORV 20FQ. They discontinued that model but the new 21RD is the same trailer but a foot longer. It is ideal for us and our camping style, i.e. boondocking, shoulder seasons and much solar on the roof. Good luck with your search!

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple of years ago when camping over labor day weekend, a class C came in, backed in their site all crooked and jumped out and setup. I was talking with them and they were traveling the country in a rented RV, they had the setup down to the minute, crooked in site was to get it level without any blocks or jacks. He said only condition was the back pointing generally south so the satellite dish worked.. They were in one day, gone the next, onward (it was just an overnighter, not one of the sites they were seeing).. They had put something like 22,000 miles on the RV over the summer all over the lower 48.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
My wife and I have a 24' TT for the last 6 years. We've used it for a lot of local camping, but also to go from Florida out to Arizona and Utah, as well as the Smoky Mountains in TN. Tows great with our Ram 1500. The camper has a GVWR of 5,000 pounds. I use an Anderson WDH mainly for sway control; easy to set up and not heavy. The camper has a queen bed and two bunks. Normally it is just my wife and me, but on occasion our daughter and son in law have joined us with no problem. Wouldn't hesitate to go cross country in a camper that size.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
mordecai81 wrote:
Fellow Minnesotan here. Our state park system is the best in the country, hands down. Our first trailer was a 20 ft Rockwood Mini-Lite that we used locally and all the way out to the Oregon Coast. Decent quality and was perfect for a couple. When one of the kids would meet us on a trip they would tent it. Buy the trailer you two need and don't go bigger just for the rare times you are joined by one of the kids. We have a no slide ORV now but stayed sub-25 ft just for the reasons you mentioned.
A WDH/sway control may be a necessity. Don't choose a trailer just to avoid that. Go quality first then the floor plan.

Thanks,

You noted it was your first trailer, what are you using now?

I would agree with you, our our park system is fantastic but I'm a tad biased! Don't want to let to many people know how nice they are, its hard enough to get in to some of them now!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Going cross country is really just a series of shorter trips. We do the 300 mile/6 hour per day thing. Works well for us. We also have certain destinations in mind, so most stops are planned and reserved in advance.
Our 21โ€™ trailer has been perfect for us.
We are starting our plans for a round the Great Lakes trip and have no concerns about the truck or the trailer.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
Fellow Minnesotan here. Our state park system is the best in the country, hands down. Our first trailer was a 20 ft Rockwood Mini-Lite that we used locally and all the way out to the Oregon Coast. Decent quality and was perfect for a couple. When one of the kids would meet us on a trip they would tent it. Buy the trailer you two need and don't go bigger just for the rare times you are joined by one of the kids. We have a no slide ORV now but stayed sub-25 ft just for the reasons you mentioned.
A WDH/sway control may be a necessity. Don't choose a trailer just to avoid that. Go quality first then the floor plan.

jay427
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
I love my 23 footer. lots of beds since we are a young family and don't spent time inside. other configurations are available with more living space in place of beds. my half ton pulls it like a dream. NO WAY you are getting away from a WD hitch though. it only takes me 30 seconds to hook it up so not sure what the problem is.

The WDH is not a problem, as I get older I just find I like things more simple. If I need to use a WDH I will, if going shorter a couple of feet saves me from the WDH thats just a check in the pro column:)

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 23 footer. lots of beds since we are a young family and don't spent time inside. other configurations are available with more living space in place of beds. my half ton pulls it like a dream. NO WAY you are getting away from a WD hitch though. it only takes me 30 seconds to hook it up so not sure what the problem is.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....