cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running lights always on

Keyslife
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, We just purchased a 2019 2520 passport Grand Touring TT. Even though we are the second owner its brand new. The problem is the running lights stay on without the truck hooked up. with or without a battery if shore power is on. I traced the problem to a white/green stripe wire at the 7 pin connection box. if I unhook it the lights go out. It seems to have power from the interior fuse box interior light fuse. They go out when I remove this fuse. Any thoughts? I obviously can't leave them on all the time. Keystone won't give me a wiring schematic. I have found no switch. I haven't cut any wires yet, but I'm about to. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I reread the OP. It sounds like it was hard wired at the junction box. Just remove the wire and tape it off. Or use it and install your own switch so you can turn them on when you want.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
The easiest place to do this is inside the seven way plug ! Some dealers will do this at shows .

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a switch on mine so I could turn them on when camping. Just enough light to light walk around and not bother any neighbors. Not to mention if it was pitch black out and I took the dogs for a walk I could see the trailer on the way back!

And before I did the switch, I used a 15A blade fuse with the blades bent just a bit and slid this into the connector. The running light circuit and battery circuit are right next to each other. Very easy to make the lights come on. And if you have an old school flasher you can plug that into it and make the lights flash. Good if your broke down on the side of the road and need to leave the trailer.....and perfect to upset the neighbors!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the pins of the 7-way should be connected to your RV battery and is used to charge from the tow vehicle. If the striped wire you're referring to is actually connected to the pin for the running lights, then I agree, disconnect and cap it off.

Just make sure it's not really a charge wire with a short somewhere between the charge line and running lights. Since it's on an interior light fuse, I suspect it's not supposed to be there as others have suggested.

Keyslife
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the input. I'll report back with what I find.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Some clowns re-wire the connector so the lights stay on while camping. Useless trend in my opinion.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible the 7 way is shorted internally to the battery wire. Or at the junction box behind the A-frame.

I had a TT that all of a sudden the running lights would come on in the middle of the day when it got warm outside. They would go out when it got hot. Then they started staying on all the time. I traced it down to a shorted running light wire to one of the fielding lights. They must've been crossed over when they built it and all of a sudden they shorted together. I had no idea where it was at, but it was in the rear half of he trailer somewhere. I found the wire that fed the fielding lights in a cabinet and cut it, no more all day runnng lights. I did have to run another wire for the interior cileing lights, but that was way easier than trying to find a short.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason not to buy an RV that was in a show.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
They used to place a jumper or flasher in the plug from the charge line to the running light terminals. If you can trace those back to a junction block upfront you may find a temporary connection. Or, there could be a short of some sort in the plug or further back. That should have nothing to do with anything in the power center fuses because the wiring of the exterior lights does not go through the power center.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like it is re-wired for display at rv show.
It may need to be re-wired at junction box.
Will take a little time and aid from helper.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker