cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV covers - Questions for those that use them

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My new to me 2016 ORV Timber Ridge 280RKS is beautiful and I want to do my best to keep it that way.

With that said, I purchased an ADCO Designer Series RV cover. I used one on my previous RV which was a Class C. Decent quality and fit well for an off the shelf cover. I know that snags will cause tears and will destroy cover in short order if precautions are not taken.

Looking for suggestions/advice on preparation and install:

1. As I prepare to install cover, I am looking at items on the TT that will cause snags/tears in the cover if left as they are.....

mainly rain gutter extension spouts and fixed TV antenna.

To protect cover and reduce chances of snags/tears, I was thinking of some 6"x6" closed cell foam blocks (used in shipping) that I can use to cover the rain gutter extension spouts, but not sure what to do for the TV antenna. Hate to have to get up on roof and add protection for TV antenna each time cover goes up or down.

Thoughts/advice/ideas on RV cover protection as described?

2. Install process.....This ORV has a very angled/sloped roof. It looks much more daunting than my previous Class C which had a flatter roof. Also, the ladder on my ORV is at the extreme left rear with the refer vent right next to it.

How do you install your RV cover? Do you have a step by step process you follow or something else?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
18 REPLIES 18

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:
I only have to move the ladder three times not a big deal. Also not all trailers have walkable roofs so this works great for them.

To each his / her own but this is yet another reason I'd never buy any trailer without a walkable roof - it's the only effective way to get up there for a close look at all the seals and recaulk as necessary. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
I only have to move the ladder three times not a big deal. Also not all trailers have walkable roofs so this works great for them.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:
Simple, lay the cover on the ground ...

JMO but I never lay the cover on the ground where it can pick up debris ... always just walk the rolled up cover up the ladder to the roof where I then unfurl it. Same for removal - roll it up, then take it down the ladder. Can't imagine trying to install a cover just standing on a ladder beside the camper ... much easier IMO by being on the roof.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple, lay the cover on the ground, fold the sides onto the roof portion of the cover, roll the cover front to back, fold in half. Climb the ladder and lay the cover on the roof, unfold it, roll the cover along the roof, moving the ladder as you go, toss the straps and sides off the roof. Get off the ladder and secure the straps and call it a day. Once you cover the sharp places of the trailer it takes about fifteen minutes to put the cover on.

Taking the cover I just get on a ladder and pull it off working from the ac, and antenna side that way I can work it over them. Once off I just roll the cover up and Iโ€™m done.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:
I have never had to get on my roof to cover it. I can do it all from a ladder.

Interested to know how you do this ...cover on and cover off
Equal-i-zer 10K

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We cover the gutter spouts with foam rubber, roll both ends of the cover towards the middle and lay it in the middle of the TT roof.

We cannot walk on our roof, so we put a ladder on each side and roll the cover from the middle to each end.

Finally we crawl under and connect the straps.

The only reason for the cover is to keep the snow off the roof.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a brand new plastic garbage can to store the cover in. When uncovering for the first time, got up on the roof and pulled up the sides, folding them into the middle. Got off the roof using an 8 foot step ladder, went to the back with the garbage can, and pulled the cover off the TT, folding it into the can accordion style. Sure, you might have to go up top to release and snags on the TV antenna or vent pipe. When finished, put the top on the can and store. So now when covering, you set the can at the back and the front of the cover is on top. Pull it up from the back as your climbing the ladder, get on top, and pull it forward. Then unroll the sides. One time, I forgot the pool noodles, so I just remover the down spouts - they just snap in place. Once covered, store the empty trash can and lid inside the TT. I use bubble wrap, on any sharp corners. I periodically check the straps to make sure they have not come loose.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had to get on my roof to cover it. I can do it all from a ladder.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
As for installing, I do it just like their video.... Unroll, lower it down the sides, strap it up. For removing, undo all the straps and toss them clear from the trailer, work the sides up onto the roof, then bunch it up along the mid-line, and roll up. Takes about 10 minutes each time.

Great info carringb.

How do get up on your roof? The factory installed ladder?

Because my factory ladder is so close to left edge and refer vent is next to it......

I am thinking of using an aluminum ladder that extends up to 17'. It is heavy duty (from Harbor Freight). Just trying to figure out where to place/lean it against the trailer without damage to trailer.

Thoughts?
Equal-i-zer 10K

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I use that cover on mine. Fits great with the curved roof. And it is large enough to fit the taller ORV body.

No issues with the antenna, other than it can snag when removing the cover. The cover did come with little gutter-spout socks which work fine. I do wrap the corner of the entry step with a used sock at both corners. This seem to be the only sharp corner on the trailer to worry about.

As for installing, I do it just like their video.... Unroll, lower it down the sides, strap it up. For removing, undo all the straps and toss them clear from the trailer, work the sides up onto the roof, then bunch it up along the mid-line, and roll up. Takes about 10 minutes each time.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The ADCO is a great wayto go.
We traded in our 13 y/o TT this year and it sitll looked like new which I credit the cover for.
I did leave it uncovered the last winter and could not believe the wear to the roof.
New TT is getting a RV-port but if we hadn't done that, I'd have gotten another Adco.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Compared to me the Dutchman isn't old.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use a cover any more. Too much work, we use our camper too much in the winter, and I'm just getting to old to mess with it. But when I did have a cover, here's how I put it on.

The very first time, I laid it on the ground just like it would be if on the camper. I then pulled the side over on the top (which is now on the bottom. I then folded (length wise), over onto itself in 1/4 folds, until what was left was a strip only 1/4 that of the original width. (if campers are 8 feet wide, the cover is now folded 2 feet wide length wise).

I then rolled the cover from the back to the front, and did it this way every time. Always front to back. With the entire cover into a gigantic short hot-dog, I'd lift it on the ladder and lay it on the roof of the camper at the front. Then I could simply walk and unroll it from the front to the back. Then unfold the quarter folds (lengthwise), and then simply drop the side over. Climb down and snug everything up.

After that first time, I never had lay it on the ground again. To remove it, I pulled the sides up and laid them over the top (on the top of the trailer). Then length wise, folded into a 1/4 length again. Then rolled it back up ... back to front... always. This way, I knew when unrolling next winter, it always started to unroll from the front.

I covered for several years this way. Mine had holes for the rain gutters after the first season with the cover. I just made sure those same holes always lined up with the rain gutters and never worried about it. Actually, the holes with the rain gutters poking through helped hold the cover down .... putting it on and removing it.

I just laid mine on top of the television antenna, but I did have to remove to radio antenna. I just took the set-screw out and put the antenna inside the camper. Actually, that was the part I hated most.

Here again, I quit using a cover, and never used a cover on my current camper because we use the camper throughout the winter. We take winter trips, go to Florida and South Carolina the week of Christmas and the week of March 10, every year. And the we sometimes do a dry winter camp at a state park, and we sleep in the camper all winter in the drive way until outside temps drop to about zero. Then we shut down and move in the house. So covering and uncovering with snow and cold is just too much of pain. So we don't cover any more. The camper just gets used too much in the winter.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"mainly rain gutter extension spouts and fixed TV antenna." I wrap each spout one in an old sock. I do not do anything re TV antennae.
"How do you install your RV cover?" I use my collapsible ladder, back and forth without going on roof but mt TT is 7.5 feet wide.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad