Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv Newbie...Need Help With Tow Truck!!

JulieS456
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

We just purchased our 1st new to us TT! The TT is 33feet long and has a dry weight of 6,576 with a payload of 3,167. That being said...what truck should we buy to pull this rig? I've read that 1/2 ton trucks will work to pull, but I'm scared that it wont be enough. I would rather have more truck than not enough truck...but I also dont want to spend 70k on a new truck! I'm open to any and all suggestions...diesel or fuel...Ram or Chevy. The TT will have its home in Alabama so it wont ne full of mountains..but that doesnt mean it wont be up in the mountains eventually!
20 REPLIES 20

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
3/4 ton, running gear parts last much longer, ask me how I know.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:

As for $70,000, holly cow, who's spending that?

The sticker on our 2017 GMC 2500HD was $68k, I was able to get it down to $60k. A well equipped F-150 with all the options I wanted would've been pushing a sticker of $55k, I imagine I could've got into one for less.

A well equipped 2018/19 GMC 2500HD is topping the $70k sticker mark now.

New truck prices are definitely crazy, including the 1/2-ton versions. Can always get lower option package trucks for a lot less though.....just depends on what you're looking for.
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said I would vote 3/4 ton, you might eventually upgrade to a larger trailer. One thing I don't hear talked about much is going and stopping are not the only concerns, stability is huge as there is nothing I can think of that is more uncomfortable when towing than being pushed around by your load.

Think about pulling a 8000lb load with say a 5000lb tow vehicle or a 7500lb tow vehicle, you are going to have more stability with the heavier tow vehicle all things being equal. When you have to make a fast emergency maneuver the extra weight, larger brakes and extra stability of the heavier tow vehicle will be appreciated.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
DSteiner51 wrote:
Ranger Smith wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Ranger Smith wrote:

3/4 tons have better brakes and sometimes it is not about pulling it but stopping it. The generally also have an engine brake on them where the 1500's don't

HUH? Never ever seen a gas motor with an engine brake? Is this something new?

Mine in tow mode was a transmision brake which adjusted the downshifting when braking.It was a Chevy 2500 hd

And so does my F150. If I set the cruise it does it automatically. Without the cruise it takes a tap of the brake to downshift.

I thought all tow modes did it. Mine is a older 08 and it does it . I usually put it in 2 in the gear selector and tow haul going downhill.

I tow a 6300 lb dry weight camper.its around 7000 to 7300 lb depending on the length of the trip. the mpg is a bad 7 in my tundra. but it only has 145k and paid off so I just put up with it.

get a 3/4 truck as you are starting out getting the TT before the truck.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
plain and simple 3/4 ton will make your trips much more enjoyable. i towed our 33ft 7500'lb ready to camp TT with my 2000 f150 gasser for about 3 months when we first bought the TT

i never felt unsafe towing with it but i was right on the edge of being maxed out.
a last october wife and i decided it was time for me to have new truck. we went with the ford 250 6.2 gasser. 8k miles later i can honestly say the whole camping experience got better with the f250

much more stable, better power, suspension, braking etc etc.

i dont think you could go wrong with chevy, ford, or dodge nowadays. ford is just my favorite

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
No one complains because they have too much truck.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^ What he said. The badge on the side doesn't matter, what the payload sticker says, and the ratings are what matters.
Where to Learn more: Clicky

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You will want a TV with at least:
8500 pounds tow rating
1200 pound receiver rating
1800 pounds of payload (as equipped per tire and loading sticker)

There are some half tons that meet all 3 of those requirements. Every 2011+ 3/4 ton meets those.

Get a WDH with integrated sway control and proportional brake controller.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
JulieS456 wrote:
Hello everyone!

We just purchased our 1st new to us TT! The TT is 33feet long and has a dry weight of 6,576 with a payload of 3,167.

Here are some average numbers that will help you in your tow vehicle choice.

Average load of dishes, flatware, pots and pans, BBQ and associated stuff, bedding, camp chairs, groceries, water, etc, weighs 800 - 1000 lbs. Loaded weight on your trailer will be around 7500 lbs. Higher, if it is a toy hauler with toys on board.

Average tongue weight is 12 - 13 percent of loaded trailer weight. Your loaded tongue weight will be around 1000 lbs. Again, this will be higher if it is a toy hauler.

You'll need a weight distributing hitch and some type of sway control. Some hitches have sway control built in, some don't. This equipment weighs about 100 lbs.

When you go truck shopping, every truck will have it's own payload number. Depending on cab configuration, 2wd or 4wd, power train, drive train, suspension, gear ratio, and installed options, they will be different. Look at the tire / loading sticker (on drivers door post) for the max occupant / cargo weight capacity. That is the payload.

The truck's payload gets used up by the combined weight of every thing and everybody in it or on it, including hitch equipment and tongue weight from the trailer.

You may find a few 1/2 ton's that will do the job, but, you'll find more 3/4 tons. Give yourself some cushion, it can be unpleasant towing at max capacity.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

gopherslayer
Explorer
Explorer
All these guys saying 3/4 ton are correct. My TT grosses at 8000 and I pulled it with my half ton a few times. It did ok. The following year I decided I needed a 3/4 ton tow vehicle so bought a 2006 Yukon XL 2500. It was a definite good move. Last year I needed a different truck and found a very low mileage 2011 Silverado 2500 HD. This was a big difference over the Yukon and a huge difference over the half ton.

Remember youโ€™re pulling loaded up about 8000 lbs of plywood standing up on end. Itโ€™s different than pulling that laying flat. The more stability and braking power the better. You can do it with a half ton but itโ€™s not the same experience.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
You are getting the best advice. Based on the dry weight of the TT you need a 3/4 truck for safety if for no other.

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an example of what I think is the "most for the least" tow rig.
Ram 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi. A dressed up work truck ready to tow. This example is a new leftover 2017, Bay City, Michigan. Check out the window sticker:
2017 Ram 2500

Listed at $ 39K, I imagine one could do better on price.
Ram 2500 Tradesman 4WD Thelen

Next best would be an F-250 XL 6.2L, with the STX and chrome packages, a touch more in price, but both very well suited to your job, and often below the 1/2 ton price.

Edit: well by "next best" I meant list price, If all things were equal I'd lean toward the Ford, with the 2017 redesign, that's tough coming from a lifelong Mopar gearhead...
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
A 2500 series, or 3/4 ton, will be much better suited for that weight. They have a stronger frame, bigger brakes, heavier duty springs, more powerful engine, stouter transmission, larger drive shaft joints, etc. etc. Just a lot more truck for the money.
As for $70,000, holly cow, who's spending that? In 2015 my new work truck was a Chevy 3500 with 4 doors and 4wd. It was about $35,000 I think.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Ranger Smith wrote:

3/4 tons have better brakes and sometimes it is not about pulling it but stopping it. The generally also have an engine brake on them where the 1500's don't

HUH? Never ever seen a gas motor with an engine brake? Is this something new?

Mine in tow mode was a transmision brake which adjusted the downshifting when braking.It was a Chevy 2500 hd

And so does my F150. If I set the cruise it does it automatically. Without the cruise it takes a tap of the brake to downshift.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.