Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Refrigerator Losing Its Cool

Delano1981
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about the refrigerator in my travel trailer. The trailer is a 1993 Terry Resort 24C and the fridge is a Dometic RM2611. It cools great on propane staying 35 degrees in the refrigerator and very cold in the ice box. However, on our way home this past weekend from the North Rim AZ, the refrigerator temp was at 65 degrees after 6 hours of driving with the propane off. Outside temperature was around 100 degrees. I have read that a refrigerator should only lose 4 degrees in 8 hours, so this is not right. It is also not recommended to travel with the refrigerator and propane on. Any ideas what could be wrong?
Thanks
2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi
1993 Terry Resort 24C
17 REPLIES 17

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
We also travel with the refer on propane,I like cold beer when we arrive.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Delano1981
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am new to rv'ing and this is my first trailer. I just got the impression from videos and Rv websites that it was not recommended to travel with the propane on. But it sounds like most people leave the fridge on while traveling without any problems. Thanks
2007 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 5.7L Hemi
1993 Terry Resort 24C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV ----SELF CONTAINED Recreational Vehicle
Propane & 12V DC

So USE them even when in transit or end up with spoiled food, salmonella and WARM BEER :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I could believe a residential fridge "holding the cold", but the absorption fridges have a drain tube. I know you make a "loop" to keep water and in theory "seal" the tube. But RV fridge warm up faster than a speeding bullet.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Regardless of internet talk, they do NOT hold their temp that good. I have accidentally turned mine off a couple of times in 70 degree weather and the temp went up a lot in just two hours.
Fridges run at least 50% of the time for a reason, becasue they need to.
Leave it in propane and go camping. That's what it's designed to do.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
You must be talking about the furnace or water heater.
Yeah.. oops.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
I turn mine off at night, especially when in close proximity to others. Those things put out a pretty good roar at 3am.

You must be talking about the furnace or water heater. The OP is talking about a refrigerator - which makes no sound at all when on LP.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
turn the thing on and let it do its job, 99% of us leave it on 24/7 when traveling, BUT do turn it off before you pull up to the pumps.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
good grief!! you gotta leave the propane on to keep your food cool. In high temps there's no way an RV fridge will keep anything cool for more than a couple of hours if its not running.

We've been towing since the '80's and the propane has been on since then, no problems. When stopping for a break or gas, or both, must make sure the flame hasn't gone out which can happen in windy conditions.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
We always travel with refer on propane.
When it is real cold out side we would travel with the furnace on propane, nice to arrive warm.

When it's hot out we hit the remote start for the Honda 3000 and the AC kicks on before stopping for a break. More is better, we want it all. ๐Ÿ™‚

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We always travel with refer on propane.
When it is real cold out side we would travel with the furnace on propane, nice to arrive warm.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t see any problem with your very old fridge moving to 65 degrees after 6 hours with outside temps in the 100s. Some donโ€™t travel with their propane fridge on but I do. Gasoline is far more dangerous.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
We have been rving since 1968, we have always traveled with the frig on propane. My opinion (such as it is) 100 degrees temps while traveling will make your frig warm unless it is operating while traveling. JMHO
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.