cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saying Good-bye/Scrapping a TT

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that many on the forum will remember me, given my near-total absence from RV.Net for over 5 years. For those who do, well, my disappearance is directly linked to the house we bought in late 2017. It was a foreclosure sale and since settlement has consumed equally enormous amounts of our money and our time. Which brings me to the reason for this post....

Our beloved Coachmen Futura has sat idle for over 5 years. It has been covered but that apparently did little or no good. In summary, the awning is shot, the tires are timed out, the LP tanks are likewise out of test and a couple of months back I discovered the floor in the rear of the trailer is soft (and it had already been repaired once at a substantial cost). As if all that were not bad enough, my wife shared that she no longer feels the need to travel with our trailer anymore (we are now in a fairly rural area).

So...

Has anyone ever taken their trailer to a salvage yard? Or maybe sold one for parts? I would be most appreciative of advice from all angles. And thanks to all who choose to reply.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B
11 REPLIES 11

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Your favorite charity doesn't want a junk trailer.
Could always donate it to a charity you don't like. Get a tax break to boot . WIN WIN.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a good point -- if the trailer is really beyond hope, don't donate it. But if it can be rehabbed, then maybe.

Often, used vehicles that don't run can be donated -- their parts are still valuable. I am not sure if that is true for trailers, though.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Your favorite charity doesn't want a junk trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Please don’t. Charities are already overrrun with “donations” of useless stuff.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or donate it to your favorite charity? There is a tax write-off. Talk to your CPA.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Thank goodness there will be one less trailer to see looking abandoned.
The only thing I would bother with telling a prospective buyer about is the soft floor. Tanks and tires age out and you’ll be stating it has been setting for five years. You would not normally point out the battery’s age.
Definitely sell it at a low price, as is.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry that your time to travel has passed. I do hope the wander lust will return to your wife.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
List it and be very upfront about what its status is. I’m sure someone will be glad to move it for you. Either to live in it as is, or as a project. I’m am always amazed at what some will live in. Not judging, they gave their circumstances to deal with.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, Craigslist. Someone will buy it for a hunting or fishing cabin.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
That’s what I would do. Someone will buy anything if the price is right

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
put on craigs list free come get it. it ain,t worth a steak supper so let it go.or face book.