cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SB truck for an AF865

sawayn85
Explorer
Explorer
The new TC I want to order, an Arctic Fox 865 with built-in generator, requires a SB truck and weighs approx. 4,500 lbs. wet, but I ’m having trouble configuring a new truck to match.

The new F350 I want to order (Crew Cab 4x4 SRW SB 6.7L diesel) specifically for this TC can’t be configured with this much payload. In fact according to Ford’s 2018 towing guide there is no 4x4 SRW SB that can accommodate this much weight.

This surprised be since the TC requires a SB truck.

I’m new to trucks and truck campers, so I’m sure I must be missing something. Can anyone help me out with counsel?

One idea I had is buying a Ford chassis cab and having a custom Sherptek flat-bed made for the TC.
3 REPLIES 3

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
When I spoke with a dealer about the 865 vs the 990 I was told it really doesn't make that much differenec. Weight wise you will not be a lot lighter (they list ~365lbs lighter than the 990) though perhaps they have the smaller tanks which would keep you from loading it up as much I suppose.

If you want to stay under GVWR than you need to look at a SB Dually. Otherwise, SRW trucks aren't rated high enough to carry these campers and stay under the limit.

Personally, I've ignored that, added air bags (a lot of duallys do to), stable loads and 4080lbs tires and said "to heck with it"
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ditto on the mega cab if you're worried about the weight, but you'll have to pack awful heavy to get to 4500 lbs. It will be close to 2 tons though depending on how you pack but I think the weights I've seen in here don't break 4k.
Any srw HD short bed pickup will handle the camper fine, but you won't be within the mfgs typically conservative ratings and you may want need to do some minor suspension mods.
Do not worry about hauling that on a new F350 of any configuration.

Personal preference, but give the built in generator some hard thought. They're convienent on one hand, but loud (inside), expensive, relatively inaccessible and use a lot of propane.
I mounted a Honda 2000 in the same "wing" area on our AF 860. Of course you have to remove it to use it, but you're not sitting on top of a running generator. JMO on the built in generator thing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a shorted mega cab Ram with over 5000 pound payload.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.