cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scissor Steps determining how many steps you need

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market to find a better way to enter our truck camper, We're looking at Scissor steps and I can't find anywhere to find a way to figure out how many steps I need

So I have a 2000 Lance 1010 with a bumper and it's say 39 inches from the ground to the top of the bumper

is there some kind of formula to figure this out?
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010
20 REPLIES 20

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
"Those are the ones I plan on buying, The ground I camp on 90% of the time is sand so I may need to carry a piece of plywood for the landing"....

The feet on the bottom are pretty wide ( I think) about 2 1/2" wide x 4" or so (mine are out in the garage so thats by memory). I carry a length of plywood 14" long x 4" wide to set mine on when it's raining and muddy. Might work for your application as well.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
AnEv942 wrote:
All pages on Torklifts site related to steps have calculator for finding number of steps.

Just to clarify the Revolution is for trailers/motor homes etc. that have inset area for stored steps. There are a few T/Cs that could use but most need external surface mounting. The Revolution includes the upper adjustable box bracket, Glow Steps and Landing Gear adjustable feet.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution

The Stow N Go system includes an external or surface mount bracket that allows storing steps, Glow Steps and the Landing gear feet.

Steps can be drop or flush to bumper mounted.
https://www.torklift.com/rv/stow-n-go

The Glow Steps include simple bracket to attach steps to bumper/camper wall. It can be used to drop mount or flush top tread to bumper.

Note when flush mounting you lose ~4" in height, (half a tread).
Calculators on Torklifts site for the Glowsteps to find number of steps, results show mounted bracket height, tread would be lower ~4".
https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep

My only recommendation if going Torklift, though I've since added the StowNgo bracket and Landing Gear feet to our Glowsteps and cant say enough about the system, is getting the wider 8" treads verses the standard 6" treads. Having previously had an other brand of steps (that were only 6') the extra cost for the Glowsteps verses some scissor steps, just no comparison IMO as far as stability and use.

I have the ones in the second picture but the back of my TC below the door wasn't wide enough to mount the bracket (you need 3" of clear mount space to secure the bracket and my TC has maybe 1.5", so what I did was weld a length of 1/8" thick (wall) angle steel to the lengthwise roll formed steel stiffner that runs across the back of the camper and mounted the bracket to that. That put my top step at just below sill height and it works perfect. Because the attachment frame on the steps are aluminum and I mounted them to a steel angle, I drilled and tapped the angle for stainless mounting bolts and stood the bracket off the steel angle with hard nylon washers and coated the stainless bolts with copper never seize as I was concerned about galvanic corrosion between the steel and the aluminum bracket.

I really like the adjustable 'feetsies' on the bottom too. Makes setting the steps super easy to get level where I camp, in the woods, where the ground is typically uneven.

One issue I do have with the adjustable bottom feet is clearance when I'm pulling my quad trailer. The space between the trailer tongue and the feet is pretty close but doable and because my entrance door is offset, I can jacknife the quad trailer to the drivers side and deploy the steps without unhooking the trailer at all.

Very well made steps and a very innovative mount system too.

With the TC in the garage (like it is now for winter), I can completely remove the steps and run the jacks all the way down to store the camper without the bracket hitting the pavement. They worked out beautifully but did take a little bit of fabrication on my part.

Those are the ones I plan on buying, The ground I camp on 90% of the time is sand so I may need to carry a piece of plywood for the landing
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
tattoobob wrote:
AnEv942 wrote:
All pages on Torklifts site related to steps have calculator for finding number of steps.

Well if there is a calculator I can't find it on any of the pages for steps

I'm going to go with the Stow N Go, and as soon as they return my email I will choose the number of steps I need

About mid page, red box thingi, though called 'application guide', my bad.
Pick a number of steps & color, it will give height of bracket and part number. Again top tread for flush mounting would be approx. 4" lower.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:

Just to clarify the Revolution is for trailers/motor homes etc. that have inset area for stored steps. There are a few T/Cs that could use but most need external surface mounting. The Revolution includes the upper adjustable box bracket, Glow Steps and Landing Gear adjustable feet.

The Stow N Go system includes an external or surface mount bracket that allows storing steps, Glow Steps and the Landing gear feet.

The Glow Steps include simple bracket to attach steps to bumper/camper wall. It can be used to drop mount or flush top tread to bumper.

Calculators on Torklifts site for the Glowsteps to find number of steps, results show mounted bracket height, tread would be lower ~4".

My only recommendation if going Torklift, though I've since added the StowNgo bracket and Landing Gear feet to our Glowsteps and cant say enough about the system, is getting the wider 8" treads verses the standard 6" treads. Having previously had an other brand of steps (that were only 6') the extra cost for the Glowsteps verses some scissor steps, just no comparison IMO as far as stability and use.

I have the ones in the second picture but the back of my TC below the door wasn't wide enough to mount the bracket (you need 3" of clear mount space to secure the bracket and my TC has maybe 1.5", so what I did was weld a length of 1/8" thick (wall) angle steel to the lengthwise roll formed steel stiffner that runs across the back of the camper and mounted the bracket to that. That put my top step at just below sill height and it works perfect. Because the attachment frame on the steps are aluminum and I mounted them to a steel angle, I drilled and tapped the angle for stainless mounting bolts and stood the bracket off the steel angle with hard nylon washers and coated the stainless bolts with copper never seize as I was concerned about galvanic corrosion between the steel and the aluminum bracket.

I really like the adjustable 'feetsies' on the bottom too. Makes setting the steps super easy to get level where I camp, in the woods, where the ground is typically uneven.

One issue I do have with the adjustable bottom feet is clearance when I'm pulling my quad trailer. The space between the trailer tongue and the feet is pretty close but doable and because my entrance door is offset, I can jacknife the quad trailer to the drivers side and deploy the steps without unhooking the trailer at all.

Very well made steps and a very innovative mount system too.

With the TC in the garage (like it is now for winter), I can completely remove the steps and run the jacks all the way down to store the camper without the bracket hitting the pavement. They worked out beautifully but did take a little bit of fabrication on my part.
2015 Backpack SS1500

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:

Well if there is a calculator I can't find it on any of the pages for steps

I'm going to go with the Stow N Go, and as soon as they return my email I will choose the number of steps I need
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
For the platform extending the bumper - look at my thread about Stow n'go,
I bought some material to iron the design, but since we enter in winter season, it is put on back schedule.
Will post some updates on the topic later on.
Coming to Flip's comment about the leveling attachment, I think it looks very ugly and as long as I can get away with small board for side leveling I will never have it.

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Forgot to add, when I got mine, I called TL in Kent, Washington and told them the height from the ground to my door sill and let them determine how many steps I needed. 4 did it for me. My sill height is 37" above grade.

I also figured 4 steps I plan on contacting them, What I want is the step at the top to be level with the top of the bumper to make a larger area at the top so I may need 5 steps

My Camper is off the truck and I'm getting it ready for winter when I have the time

If I have enough time tomorrow I'll put it back on the truck and find a level surface and get a measurement
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
tattoobob wrote:
sljohnson1938 wrote:
tattoobob wrote:
Gripnriprod wrote:
Here is the info for TorkLift GlowSteps. https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution

The Glowstep Revolution is for travel trailers and 5th wheels

Torklift website shows it on a Truck Camper.

That's strange I looked several times and never saw that

I'll have to check again

Okay like I said the Revolution is not for me, the Truck Camper they show is not even close to something I would want or could afford, and wouldn't fit my application
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add, when I got mine, I called TL in Kent, Washington and told them the height from the ground to my door sill and let them determine how many steps I needed. 4 did it for me. My sill height is 37" above grade.
2015 Backpack SS1500

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
tattoobob wrote:
Gripnriprod wrote:
Here is the info for TorkLift GlowSteps. https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution

The Glowstep Revolution is for travel trailers and 5th wheels

Torklift website shows it on a Truck Camper.

That's strange I looked several times and never saw that

I'll have to check again
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Don't forget to go Stow n'go model.
The number of steps will change while parking on different slopes, so my advise get 1 step more than you calculate and you can always easy remove it.
It is always better have 1 step too many and steps sloping toward the camper, than other way around, what is not too safe wet, what you can ask my wife about.
I have seen too many times glow steps sitting on add-on platform. That ain't right.

I thought that was what the 'feetsies' on the bottom were fot... making up for height differences.

Mine have never been slippery, they have extruded serrations in each step but my favorite part is the quick detach bracket with the push in and latch feature. Mine stay on the camper all the time, except when the camper is off, like now.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our Glowsteps for 3 years and have been in many, many different campgrounds and never had a problem with not having enough steps.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to go Stow n'go model.
The number of steps will change while parking on different slopes, so my advise get 1 step more than you calculate and you can always easy remove it.
It is always better have 1 step too many and steps sloping toward the camper, than other way around, what is not too safe wet, what you can ask my wife about.
I have seen too many times glow steps sitting on add-on platform. That ain't right.